Problems with new 7600GT: system reboots when playing

Old December 3rd 06, 01:12 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Giorgio

Default Problems with new 7600GT: system reboots when playing

Hi,

I just bought a new Albatron 7600GT 256MB PciE and I'm facing the
following problem.

The card is installed on a PC with an ECS RC410 M2 rev 1.0 motherboard
with a Pentium D 820 (2.8GHz), 1GB RAM, 300W supply.
The OS is WinXP Home SP2, DirectX 9.0c, driver Nvidia 93.71.

When playing 3D games like Tiger Woods PGA 2006 or NBA 2005, after a
while the system hangs and reboots. The same happened twice with FSX,
while with FIFA soccer 06 frames are not fluid at all, but up to now I
did not got any reboot.

To be noted that Nvidia 6800 demos go smoothly and without any problem.

The system has just been upgraded from previous ATI X300 integrated card
usage, so uninstall ATI drivers, shutdown, install the nvidia card,
reboot, install nvidia drivers and reboot again.

The system is a little bit more stable "underclocking" the card. Anyway,
even at 490MHz GPU and 1200MHz memory the system hangs... just a little
bit later than with standard settings (560MHz GPU, 1400MHz RAM).

The supply is at the limit of acceptable (300W) but temperatures remains
low enough (60C for both CPU and GPU) and Vdd in reasonable range
(nominal voltage -3% for both 1.2V and 3.3V) so I do not expect low Vdd
generating a reset...

Any suggestion?

Thanks,

--

Giorgio
ADSL2+/DT(dn:9340k,up:945k),WIS38,2554m,37.5dB(42.5dB.ree l),FBv4eth.+WGR614
Old December 3rd 06, 02:08 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Conor

In article , Giorgio says...
[...]

Power supply is too weak. It may appear OK when in 2D but when the GPU
starts really working, it'll drop too low. A low vDD WILL cause a
reset.

--
Conor

Religion, ****ing people over for millennia.
Old December 3rd 06, 03:16 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Giorgio

Conor a écrit :

Power supply is too weak. It may appear OK when in 2D but when the GPU
starts really working, it'll drop too low. A low vDD WILL cause a
reset.

That what I'm thinking too, but if that's the problem why:
- the Nalu demo runs for hours w/o any problem (with a reasonable
supply, looking at metering the 1.2V drops to a min 1.17V and the 3.3V
to 3.26V)?
- FSX hangs after 1 hour playing (if it is the power supply that should
happen early), while other EA sports games hangs almost immediately?
Even logging fans and voltages, before hanging supplies are in the same
ranges than with Nalu...

Anyway, thanks. I'll try to find someone who can give me a better supply
to test.

Old December 3rd 06, 08:26 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
John Cocktosen

Giorgio wrote:

Any suggestion?

Thanks,

Same thing happened with my previous video card. The fan was slowly
dying. It didn't just die... it slowed down over time. It got to the
point where only certain games that really gave the card a workout would
cause a spontaneous reboot. I blamed Valve for buggy HDR in HL2 for a
week after it was released (HDR, not HL2) before I figured out it was
the dying fan on the video card...
Old December 3rd 06, 09:25 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Giorgio

John Cocktosen a écrit :

Same thing happened with my previous video card. The fan was slowly
dying. It didn't just die... it slowed down over time. It got to the
point where only certain games that really gave the card a workout would
cause a spontaneous reboot. I blamed Valve for buggy HDR in HL2 for a
week after it was released (HDR, not HL2) before I figured out it was
the dying fan on the video card...

I'll check with PC open, but the card is brand new and probability of
having the fan dying is low (although infant mortality is always there).
Anyway when playing temperature is always below 61C, so the fan should
be working...

I read somewhere that on top of a decent power supply (even if 300W is
the recommended minimum, most suggests 400W), the card needs a good +12V.

In reality, when looking at supply stability, I was always looking at
1.2V/3.3V/5.0V, where supply is within -2% in any condition. That's not
the case for +12V, where even in relaxed conditions (no gaming) I've
just 11.07-11.13V, probably because the supply is not able to provide
enough current.

I'll buy a 480W supply tomorrow and I'll check if it helps.

Old December 4th 06, 12:22 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
DaveW

Your power supply unit is too underpowered for your system, and when under
heavy graphics load the system hangs for lack of power. Get a 400 Watt
QUALITY power supply unit.

--
DaveW

----------------

Old December 4th 06, 05:51 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Giorgio

DaveW a écrit :
Your power supply unit is too underpowered for your system, and when under
heavy graphics load the system hangs for lack of power. Get a 400 Watt
QUALITY power supply unit.

Done, got an LC Power LC6550 550W, 12cm fan and 24A on the +12V supply.

So, I suppose not to have problems now with the power supply...

Unfortunately, after few minutes gaming and more than correct
temperatures the system still hangs!!!

That's happened just now playing with PGA 2006 at full res.

Any further suggestion? I cannot even add the extra Pci-ex 12V supply,
since the 7600GT has not it (it is supposed to drain enough current from
the MB).

I think I'll return it, hoping to get a new one w/o that problem.

Old December 4th 06, 10:37 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Giorgio

Giorgio a écrit :
DaveW a écrit :
Your power supply unit is too underpowered for your system, and when
under heavy graphics load the system hangs for lack of power. Get a
400 Watt QUALITY power supply unit.

Done, got an LC Power LC6550 550W, 12cm fan and 24A on the +12V supply.

So, I suppose not to have problems now with the power supply...

Unfortunately, after few minutes gaming and more than correct
temperatures the system still hangs!!!

That's happened just now playing with PGA 2006 at full res.

Any further suggestion? I cannot even add the extra Pci-ex 12V supply,
since the 7600GT has not it (it is supposed to drain enough current from
the MB).

I think I'll return it, hoping to get a new one w/o that problem.

I've started the return procedure, but still testing, and now I'm really
puzzled!!!

After a "clean" reinstall of the Nvidia drivers, I've downloaded the
3dmark 06, and it runs w/o any problem to the end. That's a quite
resources consuming test, for CPU, memory and GPU and after many minutes
of test my PC is still alive w/o any sign of hang or reboot.

The same now with FlightSimX. 30min flight w/o any reboot... I haven't
tried more but seems quite stable.

Both tests reported a quite nice GPU peak temperatu 47C.

Still two games hanging: PGA 06 and NBA 05, both from EA. For both the
system does not really reboots: just the video hangs and the monitor
goes in stand-by mode, while drives start running (both CD and HD). The
only way to get out is switch-off the PC, wait 10 secs and switch-on again.

Any suggestion?

My system has an integrated ATI X300 that was used previously. I
properly uninstalled drivers and cleaned out everything, but I would not
like to discover somehow EA marks the videocard you have and makes
confusion when changing it...

Your help is appreciated.

--

Giorgio

Old December 5th 06, 12:10 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One

Why didn't you say this earlier? Many games (like the original Unreal
Tournament, for example) enable chipset-specific optimizations when
installed for the first time, for compatibility reasons. If the game doesn't
have a built-in autoconfig function, then you need to reinstall the game for
it to properly redetect the new hardware.