Point of View / Leadtek / Gigabyte..

Old October 26th 06, 01:59 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Jim Morrison

Default Point of View / Leadtek / Gigabyte..

Hi everyone, could someone tell me which of the above mentioned
manufactueres is better?

I aim to buy 7600GT / 7900GS / 7900GT, but i see different
manufacturers...so i'm a bit confused...

Also could someone tell me what is difference between cooling, passive /
active..

And ofcourse, your recomendations for above mentioned cards are welcome!

Thx guys!

Old October 27th 06, 01:35 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

Jim Morrison wrote:
Hi everyone, could someone tell me which of the above mentioned
manufactueres is better?

I aim to buy 7600GT / 7900GS / 7900GT, but i see different
manufacturers...so i'm a bit confused...

Also could someone tell me what is difference between cooling, passive /
active..

And ofcourse, your recomendations for above mentioned cards are welcome!

Thx guys!

Better for what? Email? Watching DVD's? Playing Half-Life 2? What type
of budget do you have? Can you afford to choose any one of those cards?

You can tell that nvidia uses a product numbering system that implies,
usually correctly, the higher the number the better the card. Same with
price, the more it costs, the 'better' it generally is, with current
models. Suffixes can be tricky, but the closer you get to the letter Z
the better the card usually is compared to others of the same model.

And...active cooling means the card has a fan, passive means it does
not, it needs help from the other fans in the case. Spend a few minutes
at some review sites, see how the cards fare with your favorite games.

Old October 27th 06, 08:03 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
johns

I have a GF7900GTO which is the mid-range of the
7900 series. I really like it for about everything I
do. I did have to switch to a Zalman cooler, to
quieten the fan noise, but I also have a 7900 in
a Dell 9150, and the Dell driver quietens the stock
fan nicely. Right now, that card is price for price,
the top gaming card on the market, and also
super good for any multimedia apps. In addition,
it is a low power card compared to most in
its performance range. I have games 3 or more
years old ( like the MOHAA series ) in which
I have never seen the full display of the game
until now. Only the 7900 can do that.

As for manufacturers: I bought mine from BFG.
It cost a bit more, but it came new out of the
box, and has a so-called lifetime warranty.
That usually means one year without a major
fight. I also kind of trust eVGA, but I have not
done business with them. And as for XFX,
they will send you a broken restock, or a
refurb, and it will just give problems. I believe
I read that they will send you a guaranteed
new in the box video card, but you have to
really pay a lot for that. Stupid thing to do.

As for passive cooling: The only reason you
would want a modern card that uses passive
cooling is if you primarily use your PC in
a business environment, or for home email
and browsing. It will not be a good multimedia
card ... but it will be quiet and cool and long
lasting. If that is your standard, then you
would be better off to look at the newest
( Gigabyte mobo bundle at Mwave.com )
Pentium D mobo bundles with integrated
Intel Graphics. They will do all of that fine,
and the entire bundle is about $300, and
the mobo has a pci-e slot for upgrade later.

johns

Old October 27th 06, 09:51 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

johns wrote:

As for manufacturers: I bought mine from BFG.
It cost a bit more, but it came new out of the
box, and has a so-called lifetime warranty.
That usually means one year without a major
fight. I also kind of trust eVGA, but I have not
done business with them. And as for XFX,
they will send you a broken restock, or a
refurb, and it will just give problems. I believe
I read that they will send you a guaranteed
new in the box video card, but you have to
really pay a lot for that. Stupid thing to do.

Not a plug, but let's be clear about what XFX's warranty also says:

XFX provides a lifetime warranty for the original purchaser of a GeForce
6 or 7 series card, and a lifetime warranty for a second purchaser or
whomever you give or sell the card to, all you (then they) have to do is
register the card's serial number on the website. Here's a link:

http://www.xfxforce.com/web/support/...tionId=1 1979

As for passive cooling: The only reason you
would want a modern card that uses passive
cooling is if you primarily use your PC in
a business environment, or for home email
and browsing. It will not be a good multimedia
card ...

I think what you meant to say was, "most cards that use passive cooling
are generally low-performers which don't generate enough heat to need a
fan since they don't have all those extra circuits for fancy multimedia
applications like games and what-not, but are perfectly fine for
business uses." As a counter example:

The 7950GT Extreme (by XFX, incidentally) is a factory over clocked
passively cooled video card that can and does handle any multimedia and
AAA Title game that you can install on your PC. Long DVD movies or Hours
and Hours of 3D Gaming, runs like any other card, just faster, hotter,
and silent. How many Media Center PC's are as quiet as a DVD player?
With a passively cooled video card and cpu, you are more than half way
there.

Old November 1st 06, 12:03 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
don't look

I recommend the MSI 7900GS.Phenomenal overclocker. It's sold on Ebay as a
generic with a green wavy sticker on the heatsink for $170.OEM no box no
manual.Mine hit 566/784 just by using setect optimal settings in the drivers
from 460/660.
Reviews of this card show my experience pretty typical.
Youu won't find passive cooling on any of these cards(maybe the 7600gt)and
power requirements are high on the 7900GT.