Need Dell edition of Windows Media Center Edition 2005..

Old March 6th 05, 04:07 PM
allegro

Default Need Dell edition of Windows Media Center Edition 2005..

Hi,

I have a Dell labeled Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 cd that i got
with my system.
A few weeks ago i wanted to reinstall the whole thing, but after a few
minutes into install it failed because the cd was unreadible.

I tried again and again, but no luck.
So i decided to install my copy of Windows XP Home for now.

I called and emailed Dell for a few weeks now, but they refuse to send me a
new cd... They refuse to send a replacement after a month i heard, but then
it was running fine, so)

Because i just want a Dell version of MCE2005 (i have a Dell licence and key
for that) i won't install a regular OEM copy.

But, if someone could supply me with a copy of the discs or just the files
that i need to make a regular OEM copy to a Dell copy
-that doesn't need a key and activation on a Dell- that would be great.
That way i could just use those files (about 12mb) on a regular OEM copy of
a friend..
I hope someone could help me out and could upload the needed files to a
newsgroup or to my XDrive account:
http://plus.xdrive.com/u/112739331/7...VQtnLQ3YWUu5Ek

Thanks,

Allegro.

P.S: If you have a Dutch version of the cd, the whole copy would be great,
otherwise those 12mb of files would do.

The files i need from the Dell labeled MCE2005 cd:

-------- The needed files ---------
In folder \I386:
DPCDLL.DL_
EULA.TXT
NT5INF.CA_
OEMBIOS.BI_
OEMBIOS.CA_
OEMBIOS.DA_
OEMBIOS.SI_
PIDGEN.DLL
SETUPP.INI
SETUPREG.HIV
UNATTEND.TXT
WINNT.SIF

In folder I386\WIN9XUPG:
WIN95UPG.INF

Then you could archive it with Winzip or WinRar.

You could create a batchfile that copies the needed files, from in my case
the G: drive (cd-rom) to the folder C:\XPbios.

Copy and paste this to a new txtfile (notepad) :

@ECHO OFF
:START
MKDIR C:\XPbios
MKDIR C:\XPbios\WIN9XUPG
COPY G:\I386\DPCDLL.DL_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\EULA.TXT "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\NT5INF.CA_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\OEMBIOS.BI_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\OEMBIOS.CA_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\OEMBIOS.DA_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\OEMBIOS.SI_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\PIDGEN.DLL "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\SETUPP.INI "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\SETUPREG.HIV "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\WIN9XUPG\WIN95UPG.INF "C:\XPbios\WIN9XUPG\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\UNATTEND.TXT "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\WINNT.SIF "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V

Save as for instance XPbios.bat -you may have to edit location of cd and
folder-, then save it and double cick it..

On C:\ there is a new folder created called XPbios with the needed files,
you can now use WinZip or WinRar and upload it to
http://plus.xdrive.com/u/112739331/7...VQtnLQ3YWUu5Ek

Old March 6th 05, 06:03 PM
Patrick L. Parks

allegro wrote:
[...]

This just doesn't make much sense to any of us. Calling Dell and
getting a replacement cd should NOT be an issue. Did your system
actually ship with MCE2005 installed? The 30 day thing you mention
doesn't make sense because most people would NOT have a need to
reinstall their system within the first 30 days.

What is Dell telling you when you call and request the cd? Is there a
fee that you are unwilling to pay?

I've seen you post numerous times for these files and most of us believe
that you are trying to scam your way into a free copy of MCE2005
Old March 6th 05, 06:44 PM
allegro

"Patrick L. Parks" wrote:

This just doesn't make much sense to any of us. Calling Dell and getting
a replacement cd should NOT be an issue. Did your system actually ship
with MCE2005 installed? The 30 day thing you mention doesn't make sense
because most people would NOT have a need to reinstall their system within
the first 30 days.

What is Dell telling you when you call and request the cd? Is there a fee
that you are unwilling to pay?

I've seen you post numerous times for these files and most of us believe
that you are trying to scam your way into a free copy of MCE2005

Hi,

Yes, i did post this before because i've been trying to get a copy for
ages..
I did call and email Dell for about a month i guess.. I have the emails to
prove it. (In Dutch)
Yes, my system shipped with MCE2005, and i haven't changed anything, except
i changed the tvtuner for a Hauppauge PVR500MCE dual tuner card..

Well, that was what i thought also.. Most people don't reinstall it that
often, but i wanted it clean without some stuff Dell installed..
Because someone mentioned in this group it could be the 21 days/30 days
thing, i thought maybe that's the problem..
Now i'm unsure, did Dell somehow screw up my system/order details? It show's
correctly if i use Dell's System Profiler thingy..

Dell told me they can't supply me with a replacement cd, because i should
have got one with my system.. I told them i DID have it, but it is not
working..
However, still no luck.. I also asked if i could just send my copy to them
first, and recieve a working copy in return..
Dell didn't mention a fee (probably because they refused to send a copy),
but i have no problem paying a small fee.. But Dell, please just send me the
cd..

I understand some people may think i just want a free copy of MCE2005, but
if that would be the case i'd just downloaded one of the several copy's
posted every week on usenet..

I just want my Dell copy working again, and hoped i have more luck finding a
copy here (or someone willing to upload one) than on other groups..
Someone promised a copy on another group, but never posted or uploaded it..
No possible way to contact him..

Thanks,

Allegro.

Old March 6th 05, 09:13 PM
Johoo

"Patrick L. Parks" schreef in bericht
This just doesn't make much sense to any of us. Calling Dell and getting
a replacement cd should NOT be an issue. Did your system actually ship
with MCE2005 installed? The 30 day thing you mention doesn't make sense
because most people would NOT have a need to reinstall their system within
the first 30 days.

What is Dell telling you when you call and request the cd? Is there a fee
that you are unwilling to pay?

I've seen you post numerous times for these files and most of us believe
that you are trying to scam your way into a free copy of MCE2005

Allegro is right. Dell Netherlands isn't very helpfull if items are missing
or "broken". Lost manuals or cd's, changing waranty, changing owner,
spare-parts. All these things are very difficult for the dutch dell guys.

harrie

Old March 6th 05, 09:47 PM
allegro

"Johoo" schreef in bericht

[...]

Ah,

I see you know what i'm talking about.. However, i've should have know..
When i bought my other Dell, a Dimension 8300, a year ago i had some earlier
nasty experiences with Dell "Support"..
I have no idea if stat's something Dutch or Benelux specific experience..
But since it's a great machine.. I thought what the heck.. Next time i
really have to think twice..

But, i really hope someone in this newsgroup is more helpfull in supplying
me with a working copy, 'cause Dell isn't really helping..

So, if someone could just upload the disc -preferred- (or the needed files)
to my XDrive account or if that's easier, a newsgroup that would be great..
I would love to get my system back up and running like it should.. The
language of the disc isn't important, i prefer Dutch, but UK/US is also OK.

Thanks,

Allegro.

My XDrive account:
http://plus.xdrive.com/u/112739331/7...VQtnLQ3YWUu5Ek
Username:
Password: upload

That way you don't have to sign up..

Old March 7th 05, 12:18 AM
RRR_News

allegro,
1. Have you tried to see if you can copy to a blank CD using another PC,
your Dell CD. There may be something wrong with your CD-ROM.

2. Or run a cleaning CD disk in your CD-ROM.

3. Since you say that the Restore CD is useless, have you tried apply JUST
water, and wiping the face of the CD? Don't use any alcohol or ammonia based
cleaner.

4.Or bring the CD to a computer repair shop, and see if they can clean it,
or at least burn a copy for you.

--

Rich/rerat

(RRR News) message rule
Previous Text Snipped to Save Bandwidth When Appropriate

"Johoo" schreef in bericht

Old March 7th 05, 12:33 AM
allegro

Hi,

I cleaned it, used Isobuster and other recovery tools, and i actually went
to MyCom (a computer shop in Holland) where they tried different machines to
get the data off it..
They used some sort of polishing device/solution to try to repair it..
Nothing worked.. It just seemed the cd itself is not pressed/written
correctly..

I've tried anything i could think of..

That's why, the Dell userbase is some sort of last hope for me..

If someone could just help me.. I just need the cd to work, but Dell doesn't
seem to care and the cd itself is useless.. (MyCom tried everything they
could to recover the disc/data, they tried to convince me the were better
then Dell.. At least they tried.. That's more than i can say from Dell..)

Well, i still hope someone here can help me with a copy..

Thanks,

Allegro.

"RRR_News" schreef in bericht
allegro,
1. Have you tried to see if you can copy to a blank CD using another PC,
your Dell CD. There may be something wrong with your CD-ROM.

2. Or run a cleaning CD disk in your CD-ROM.

3. Since you say that the Restore CD is useless, have you tried apply JUST
water, and wiping the face of the CD? Don't use any alcohol or ammonia
based
cleaner.

4.Or bring the CD to a computer repair shop, and see if they can clean it,
or at least burn a copy for you.

--

Rich/rerat

(RRR News) message rule
Previous Text Snipped to Save Bandwidth When Appropriate

"Johoo" schreef in bericht

Old March 7th 05, 01:15 PM
ric

seeing as no-one seems willing to help here, you might have more luck
downoading a dodgy copy of mce2005 off usenet, and extracting the files
you need from there.
however, i'd be quite forceful with dell first: you bought a product,
and part of it is faulty. this is their responsibility to sort out:
duff disks are not that uncommon. call, speak to a supervisor and
explain you have faulty media and need it swapping out. this shouldn't
be a big issue with them...

Old March 7th 05, 01:18 PM
allegro

Hi,

Just wanted to update the posting;
Called Dell a few hours ago, but still they refuse to send a replacement. No
idea what to do next..
Went to a computershop called ViComputer, explained the whole thing and told
them what i tried (and MyCom) to get the disc to work..
They offered to try getting a copy of the data, but they also failed to get
the data off.. They tried extracting to an iso, disc to disc copy, disc to
image.. And off course tried to copy the files manually..
Nothing seemed to work and they confirmed the disc itself is bad... They say
there is absolutely no possible way to get the whole disc to fuction.. In
fact, one of the technical guys placed a bet: if i could get the data back
myself or with the help of another firm i get a free coupon of ?50,-.. He
was that sure..

So, it really seems i'm screwed unless someone here could help me out..
I guess there should be a fellow Dell user with a Dell branded disc of
Windows XP Media Center Edition in his possession?
Does anyone could upload a copy to me or to a newsgroup?

A full Dutch copy is preferred, but a UK?US version (or the needed files) i
can work with..

I'm really desparate and frustrated with Dell, so if someone could help me
out that would be great..
If wanted, i can offer a small fee for uploading.. (Paypal)

Thanks,

Allegro.

http://plus.xdrive.com/u/112739331/7...VQtnLQ3YWUu5Ek

"allegro" schreef in bericht

Old March 7th 05, 02:56 PM
S.Lewis

Allegro,

Granted the apparent stupidity of all this, why not call Microsoft and ask
them what legal options you have so far as they're concerned?

I fully realize they'll want to push support back to Dell for the OEM CD.
That's not my point. My point is that they may be able to offer some
suggestion as to options for obtaining a copy that they themselves would
consider "legitimate".

Be that:

1) an uploaded copy
2) a Dell OEM copied CD from another Dell user
3) a downloaded copy used in conjunction with your Dell COA/key (if that
would work at all)

I'd also move to speaking with U.S. customer care via a posting or private
message to the moderator he

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportfor...=customer_care

Sure, it's the U.S., but perhaps you could get a solution by shaking the
tree from the states end.

There has to be a solution to this.

Stew