nvcpl.dll will not load

Old September 8th 03, 07:27 PM
Not Bob Dylan

Default nvcpl.dll will not load

The other day my WinXP machine froze. When I tried re-booting I got
the error that nvcpl.dll won't load. I tried installing the newest
set of Geforce 4 drivers, but nvcpl.dll still will not load.
I'm worried my card is the problem, because I can't boot into Win2k
from this machine now either. (dual boot config)
Any ideas??
Thanks,
Dave
Old September 8th 03, 07:40 PM
TomG

sounds like some possible disk corruption... have you run chkdsk on the
Win2K partition? if you dual boot and the other OS is okay, then I can't
see how the card could be the root of the problem.

--

Thomas Geery
Network+ certified

ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
ftp://68.98.180.8 Abit Mirror ----- Cable modem IP
over 115,000 FTP users served!
^^^^^^^

Old September 8th 03, 07:48 PM
Morgan

Why can't you boot into W2k - do you get the same error message....?
Or is it that NTLDR is missing or corrupt or whatever....?

Can you not get a working copy of nvcpl.dll and using a Dos boot disk
navigate to the system32 directory and put it in there over writing the
other one...? Might or might not work - can't understand though why both
OS's are not bootable - either as normal or in Safe mode.

There are plenty of returns when you Google.... repair dual boot XP

Might be an idea to look there.

--
Regards

Morgan

Old September 9th 03, 03:33 AM
Not Bob Dylan

Hi
Thanks for the replies.
I should have explained better.

I'm NOT able to boot into either OS in normal mode.
I CAN get into each via safe mode.

I tried re-installing the Nvidia drivers. I used the newest version
available. Still no go. I ran msconfig from within XP, and disabled
both "nvcpl" and "nvmctray" from booting. With both disabled I am
able to get into XP.

I will try overwriting the nvcpl.dll file suggested and see if that
helps.

I was watching a CNN video on RealPlayer when the computer originally
froze.
Thanks,
Dave

Old September 10th 03, 12:01 PM
Ed Medlin

"Not Bob Dylan" wrote in message
Hi
Thanks for the replies.
I should have explained better.

I'm NOT able to boot into either OS in normal mode.
I CAN get into each via safe mode.

I tried re-installing the Nvidia drivers. I used the newest version
available. Still no go. I ran msconfig from within XP, and disabled
both "nvcpl" and "nvmctray" from booting. With both disabled I am
able to get into XP.

I will try overwriting the nvcpl.dll file suggested and see if that
helps.

I was watching a CNN video on RealPlayer when the computer originally
froze.
Thanks,
Dave

You might try uninstalling your Dets and use NFR from www.guru3d.com BEFORE
you reboot to get rid of the possible corrupt driver files. Then reinstall
them and see if that helps. You will have to do that in both OSs. nvmctray
is the Nvidia tray icon and I think that nvcpl is the loader for the driver
video settings if I remember correctly.

Ed