powercolor 9800se

Old April 14th 04, 04:25 AM
chrisj

Default powercolor 9800se

In advance, please don't flame me. I just purchased a powercolor
9800se. I heard it could be soft modded with omega drivers, which I
installed. Here is where I'm an idiot because I don't Quite understand the
lingo about 4 pipes open which is stock for this card, or 8 pipes which the
omega drivers are supposed to open. My question is how or what info tells
me if I have opened the other 4 "pipes". I do follow alot of ns about oc
but not video cards, this part I'm new at and I know this question sounds
very dumb , but if anyone can help I would appreciate it. Thanks in
advance. By the way the card appears to be working fine so far with the
omega drivers.
chris
Old April 14th 04, 10:22 AM
Julian Richards

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 03:25:49 GMT, chrisj wrote:

In advance, please don't flame me. I just purchased a powercolor
9800se. I heard it could be soft modded with omega drivers, which I
installed. Here is where I'm an idiot because I don't Quite understand the
lingo about 4 pipes open which is stock for this card, or 8 pipes which the
omega drivers are supposed to open. My question is how or what info tells
me if I have opened the other 4 "pipes". I do follow alot of ns about oc
but not video cards, this part I'm new at and I know this question sounds
very dumb , but if anyone can help I would appreciate it. Thanks in
advance. By the way the card appears to be working fine so far with the
omega drivers.

I have the same the same card. If you have used the softmod option in
Omega and the card works with no artifacts then you are away. I
believe that Rivertuner would tell you for certain. If you are looking
to overclock then the Arctic Cooling VGA cooler is very good and fits
easily on this card. I run at 438/364.
--

Julian Richards
computer "at" richardsuk.f9.co.uk

XP Home
L7S7A2 motherboard
Powercolor 9800 SE 8 pipelines with Omega drivers
1 GB RAM
10 GB + 80 GB HDs
CD+DVD/CDRW drives
Old April 15th 04, 03:33 PM
Mark B. VanLiere

chrisj wrote in
:

In advance, please don't flame me. I just purchased a powercolor
9800se. I heard it could be soft modded with omega drivers, which I
installed. Here is where I'm an idiot because I don't Quite understand
the lingo about 4 pipes open which is stock for this card, or 8 pipes
which the omega drivers are supposed to open. My question is how or
what info tells me if I have opened the other 4 "pipes". I do follow
alot of ns about oc but not video cards, this part I'm new at and I
know this question sounds very dumb , but if anyone can help I would
appreciate it. Thanks in advance. By the way the card appears to be
working fine so far with the omega drivers.
chris

I, too, have a Powercolor 9800se, and I have been able to apply the softmod
to open the other four pipes. You may not be as lucky. First of all,
Powercolor sells two different 9800se models -- XR98SE-C3L and R98SE-C3.
Only the second one can be softmodded AFAIK. Secondly, the expert opinion
(that's not me) is that many of these cards have chips that failed QC as
9800pro, and when you open up all the pipes you will get artifacts.
(Again, I have been lucky in that I don't get artifacts at stock speeds).

Now, how does one know how many pipes? Download ATITool (Google for it),
install it (it won't do anything without your telling it to), open it, and
click the "Settings" button at the lower left. One of the many properties
listed is "Active Pipelines".

Good Luck,

Mark