Via drivers and ATAPI.SYS BSOD

Old January 8th 04, 08:20 PM
Edwin Davidson

Default Via drivers and ATAPI.SYS BSOD

Windows 2000 server sp4 w/all hotfixes.
Added Promise TX133, three HD on this.
P3V4X Bios 1003
1128M PC133 RAM
SB Ensonique PCI
3Com 3c905X rev.b
nVidia MX440-SEN1 64MB DDR
128 MB USB drive.
Toshiba CDRom
Samsung Combo drive DVD/CDRW

I am running a Promise TX133 card as my main IDE channels with boot
SCSI first., and boot harddrive on this.

I still use the onboard IDE (Via) for CD Roms, DVD, etc.

I have recently added the DVD Combo drive burner.

I am not sure why, but when I update the VIA drivers using their
installer, I get a BSOD on ATAPI.SYS. The system then fails to boot
giving an error on VIAAGP1.SYS. Countless reboots, still no boot.
Last known doesn't boot either.

Luckly I am using FAT32 and have older copies of VIAAGP1.SYS on the
drive. Each time this happens, I can replace the VIAAGP1.SYS with an
old copy and boot.

Zonealarm gets coorupt, as it always does on a BSOD, so I uninstall
this.

I go into devices and VIA IDE is not enabled and is in compatibility
mode.

I take the latest greatest VIA drivers setup and unextract it. I
point the VIA IDE to the correct path and it installs. I update the
VIA AGP drivers using this method to the latest greatest, and it
updates.

Any ideas why I cannot use the VIA Installers anymore?

Edwin Davidson