HDD writes slowly

Old September 10th 06, 12:22 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
jimi

Default HDD writes slowly

Hi - I have a 120GB Samsung drive which writes very slowly (max 3MB/s).
Read speeds are normal. Could this be a hardware fault? From the
software point of view, I have checked the current transfer mode is
Ultra DMA mode 5. What other software problems could cause this?

Thanks, Jim

Old September 10th 06, 06:57 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Alan Kakareka

check if you have bended pins on HDD, replace 80 pin cable, try on another
computer

Alan Kakareka
Data Recovery Service
786-253-8286 cell
http://www.247recovery.com
--
ps.com...

Old September 10th 06, 10:12 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Michael Wardreau

Almost same problem here.

I have a 250 GB WD Caviar that reads and writes about that speed.
I checked the pins and they're not bent, but I did just notice that I
have a jumper stating the drive is set as master, but I was using it
on a cable-select cable (80 pin). It was on the second IDE channel
and I think I had the BIOS set at Master also.

Because it was so slow, I bought a 300 GB WD Caviar SATAII drive and
got a SATAII card. Now I'm up at 60 to 80 MB/sec. Nowhere near the
advertised 300 MBps, but it's still 20 times faster than what I had
and it's 50 % faster than the two 120 GB IDE drives I have installed.

Anyone wanna buy a WD 250 GB HD cheap?

The reason I tell you this is that maybe you have a Master/Slave and
Bios problem, even thought I doubt that's what my problem was. Just
something to double check on your machine.

Good luck.

Old October 10th 06, 01:24 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Mitochondrion

Do you have write behind caching enabled on that drive? Are you
running an intel chipset

"AGP Fast Writes" yield >2x better WMV9 Hi-Def performance Tony DiMarzio Ati Videocards 5 June 16th 05 09:31 PM
Nero 6 writes to CDs and DVDs slowly -- claims slow read from HD. smh Cdr 5 January 24th 05 02:28 AM
AGP "Fast Writes" Consensus w/ Radeons Tony DiMarzio Ati Videocards 10 July 14th 04 08:33 AM
Boot sector writes S.Boardman General 4 January 2nd 04 12:54 PM
write delays on writes to EMC Symetrix pedro d Storage & Hardrives 3 December 29th 03 05:50 PM