Black display on Dell Inspiron 8000

Old April 6th 06, 08:51 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Default Black display on Dell Inspiron 8000

I have a Dell Inspiron 8000 and I am experiencing problems with the
LCD. A few minutes after the system has booted and the desktop
appears, the display goes black. However, you can faintly make out
what is on the desktop if you look closely enough. I did attach an
external monitor to my laptop and it works fine.

From the posts I have read on this forum and others, the problem could

be related to the inverter, backlight, or ribbon cable.

I don't have enough knowledge to know which part(s) needs to be
replaced. I would appreciate any insight on how to make this
determination.

In addition, I began to disassemble my laptop and have the LCD panel
flipped out from the protective casing. I don't know where these any
of these parts are located. If anyone can provide some instructions or
diagram resources, this would be appreciated as well.

The part listing for LCD: 0D146
SUBASSEMBLY, LIQUID CRYSTAL DISPLAY, 15, SAMSUNG, V.2, LONSDALE/LAVACA

Thanks,
Ted Cwynar

Old April 6th 06, 08:53 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a Dell Inspiron 8000 and I am experiencing problems with the
LCD. A few minutes after the system has booted and the desktop
appears, the display goes black. However, you can faintly make out
what is on the desktop if you look closely enough. I did attach an
external monitor to my laptop and it works fine.

From the posts I have read on this forum and others, the problem could

be related to the inverter, backlight, or ribbon cable.

I don't have enough knowledge to know which part(s) needs to be
replaced. I would appreciate any insight on how to make this
determination.

In addition, I began to disassemble my laptop and have the LCD panel
flipped out from the protective casing. I don't know where these any
of these parts are located. If anyone can provide some instructions or
diagram resources, this would be appreciated as well.

The part listing for LCD: 0D146
SUBASSEMBLY, LIQUID CRYSTAL DISPLAY, 15, SAMSUNG, V.2, LONSDALE/LAVACA

Thanks,
Ted Cwynar

Not sure if this is detailed enough for what you want:

http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...ve.htm#1080654

Stew

Old April 6th 06, 09:03 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Hi Stew,

Thanks for the link...it helps to give me the overall pictures. I was
hoping to find something in regards to the location of the backlight
(inside the LCD itself) and/or the inverter.

Thanks,
Ted Cwynar

Old April 6th 06, 09:15 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi Stew,

Thanks for the link...it helps to give me the overall pictures. I was
hoping to find something in regards to the location of the backlight
(inside the LCD itself) and/or the inverter.

Thanks,
Ted Cwynar

Well at least here's what the inverter on that model *looks* like:

http://tinyurl.com/zfeef

Old April 6th 06, 09:27 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

unless you have successfully replaced lcd backlights before i would highly
recommend against you trying. sure you can buy a replacement bulb for $20,
but without the experience and skill of how to replace (including delicate
soldering skills so that you do not explode the bulb and reassembly of the
polarizer panels) it you may end up with a making matters worse. if it is
out of warranty with dell then you can get it repaired for $125 by moniserv
(for 15" panels which i think is what the 8000 has).
http://moniserv.com/doc/laptopscreen.html

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a Dell Inspiron 8000 and I am experiencing problems with the
LCD. A few minutes after the system has booted and the desktop
appears, the display goes black. However, you can faintly make out
what is on the desktop if you look closely enough. I did attach an
external monitor to my laptop and it works fine.

From the posts I have read on this forum and others, the problem could