opterons for xw9300

Old April 14th 05, 01:06 AM
hardprogrammer

Default opterons for xw9300

Hello,

I want to buy a xw9300. But can I put in opterons not bought by HP.
I think i can, but am I right. (they charge way too much).

Paul

Old April 14th 05, 03:41 AM
Rob Stow

hardprogrammer wrote:
Hello,

I want to buy a xw9300. But can I put in opterons not bought by HP.
I think i can, but am I right. (they charge way too much).

Paul

The xw9300 uses the Tyan S2895 motherboard, so you should have no
special compatibility issues. Go to the Tyan website if you want
to look up CPU compatibility.

However, I don't think HP will sell you an xw9300 without a pair
of Opterons in it, and I think the slowest CPUs they offer in
that system are the Opty 250's.

BTW, the xw9300 has been successfully demoed with 2.2 GHz Opty
26x dual core chips. Today I also saw brand new review of
another system using the S2895 with a pair of Opty 866 dual core
chips. Bodes well for general dual-core compatibility for that
motherboard.

opterons and Athlon64 Christo General 1 November 15th 04 03:49 AM
Dual Xeons 3.0 vs. dual Opterons 246 for high end 3d graphics? Luke Piasecki Intel 10 August 18th 04 02:25 AM
New and older Opterons Dan Irwin Gigabyte Motherboards 1 April 9th 04 03:42 AM
Opterons using external memory controller Yousuf Khan General 5 December 17th 03 01:54 AM
Octigabay using low cost Opterons Rob Stow General 10 November 6th 03 04:00 AM