Finding RAID controller for SSDs?

Old February 11th 10, 10:20 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
trs80

Default Finding RAID controller for SSDs?

Who are some manufacturers of RAID controllers that would work with Solid
State Disks? I would like to start a search to find a product that would
allow me to have 4 or more SSDs in a RAID configuration.
thank you for any tips

Old February 12th 10, 08:03 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
DevilsPGD[_4_]

In message "trs80"
was claimed to have wrote:

Who are some manufacturers of RAID controllers that would work with Solid
State Disks? I would like to start a search to find a product that would
allow me to have 4 or more SSDs in a RAID configuration.
thank you for any tips

Nearly any SATA RAID controller should work. Given the performance
characteristics of SSDs, you probably won't be happy with a particularly
cheap RAID controller since the controller might bottleneck.
Old February 12th 10, 11:17 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno[_3_]

DevilsPGD wrote:
In message "trs80"
was claimed to have wrote:

Who are some manufacturers of RAID controllers that would work with Solid
State Disks? I would like to start a search to find a product that would
allow me to have 4 or more SSDs in a RAID configuration.
thank you for any tips

Nearly any SATA RAID controller should work. Given the performance
characteristics of SSDs, you probably won't be happy with a particularly
cheap RAID controller since the controller might bottleneck.

Linux software RAID with PCI-E attached controllrs (although
not with 4 SATA channels on 1 PCI-E lange, as I have seen in
one controller) should also give you full speed for most RAID
levels.

Arno

--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email:
----