Buying stuff from Dell: Price differences (USA-Canada) ?

Old May 30th 07, 12:43 AM posted to can.internet.highspeed,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Some Guy

Default Buying stuff from Dell: Price differences (USA-Canada) ?

Mikey wrote:

Some Guy wrote:

Any idea why Dell isin't showing a markdown on the CDN web
site for this item:

2407FPW 24.0-inch Wide Flat Panel LCD Monitor ?

You could try asking the question at alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

I did. Here's one smart-ass response I got (the only one so far):

Tom Scales wrote:

- Because Canada's population is smaller than California.
- Because Dell has to deal with shipping it across a border
- Because Dell believes that Canadian's don't deserve big
monitors
- Because Michael Dell was once insulted by a Canadian at a bar
in Austin while he was in college
- Because no one likes the Canadian flag

- Because they don't have to.

Pick one. Pick them all. My guess is that they do not believe
the sale would make a measureable impact on their sales and
could, in fact, constrain supply in the US.

Oooow. We wouldn't want to constrain US supply now would we?

Dell has always favored the US with prices. Likely always will.

Yes, Dell obbiously believes that they "must charge the godless,
communist Canadians" a premium, maybe as punishment for not being part
of the coalition of the co-opted that invaded Iraq.

The logistics are just easier.

Yes, it costs more to deliver stuff via dog-sled over the frozen
tundra.

Apparently, Tom believes (among other things) that Dell is run by
jerks who treat the Canadian market like a play-toy and pull CDN
prices out of their ass.

Malcolm Ferguson wrote:

The 2405 is obsolete, go for the 2407. Better still, get a BenQ
FP241W. The BenQ can do HDCP over both the HDMI and the DVI
inputs. The BenQ rocks ...

NCIX.com has the BenQ for half the price you quoted for the
inferior Dell.

Yes, the Benq looks like a better monitor. Thanks for the tip. Looks
like Dell can take their ****ed-up Canadian prices and shove them up
their ass.

The way things are looking, soon Monopoly money will be more valuable
than the US greenback.
Old May 30th 07, 12:57 AM posted to can.internet.highspeed,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

You could try asking the question at alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Malcolm Ferguson wrote:

The 2405 is obsolete, go for the 2407. Better still, get a BenQ
FP241W. The BenQ can do HDCP over both the HDMI and the DVI
inputs. The BenQ rocks ...

NCIX.com has the BenQ for half the price you quoted for the
inferior Dell.

Yes, the Benq looks like a better monitor. Thanks for the tip. Looks
like Dell can take their ****ed-up Canadian prices and shove them up
their ass.

The way things are looking, soon Monopoly money will be more valuable
than the US greenback.

You mean it ain't. Maybe that explains why the bank refused my
deposit when I gave them a couple of thousand dollars in Monopoly
money.

Frankly, where I came from originally (NYC) we could care less about
upstate NY and even less about Canada. Unfortunately I have relatives
born and raised in upstate NY.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it!!
Old May 30th 07, 01:08 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
journey

On Tue, 29 May 2007 19:43:40 -0400, Some Guy wrote:

Yes, the Benq looks like a better monitor. Thanks for the tip. Looks
like Dell can take their ****ed-up Canadian prices and shove them up
their ass.

The way things are looking, soon Monopoly money will be more valuable
than the US greenback.

Sending you good vibes from an American citizen who realizes the
absurdity of American ethnocentrism at this point in history. I hope
you get a well thought out and polite reply to your query. If you get
any insights feel free to post back here.
Old May 30th 07, 01:09 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
journey

On Tue, 29 May 2007 18:57:36 -0500, RnR wrote:

Frankly, where I came from originally (NYC) we could care less about
upstate NY and even less about Canada. Unfortunately I have relatives
born and raised in upstate NY.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it!!

How do you feel about cheeseheads? :-)
Old May 30th 07, 02:03 AM posted to can.internet.highspeed,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
chuckcar

You could try asking the question at alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Tom Scales wrote:

- Because Canada's population is smaller than California.
- Because Dell has to deal with shipping it across a border
- Because Dell believes that Canadian's don't deserve big
monitors
- Because Michael Dell was once insulted by a Canadian at a bar
in Austin while he was in college
- Because no one likes the Canadian flag

- Because they don't have to.

Pick one. Pick them all. My guess is that they do not believe
the sale would make a measureable impact on their sales and

So only Dell knows. How many *days* did you wait for an answer? Wait a
week to see. It looks like you got a couple possibilities, but *call*
*Dell* *Sales* or ask at a computer store. Don't call their tech support
number, they'll just hang up on you and they don't know anyways. And
Remember there are Trolls *all* over the usenet, this group is
relatively clean as a comparison.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
Old May 30th 07, 02:17 AM posted to can.internet.highspeed,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tony[_3_]

Chuck were you looking for a job a Dell? How can you comment on another
newsgroup you haven't a clue about... clueless?

chuckcar wrote:

Old May 30th 07, 03:05 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

While there was humo(u)r in my post, I was actually serious. My
observation of Canadian pricing (admittedly limited to random Canadians
complaining her) says that Dell doesn't price as aggressively in Canada.
Perhaps the competition isn't as great, so they don't feel like they
need to. They ARE a business and more profit is better than less
profit.

I have the 2407FPW and got it on sale for something like $550US shipped.
I also have the 2405FPW (they sit side by side in a dual monitor setup).
They're both great monitors. The 2405 rotates. The 2407 might, but I
haven't figured out how and am too lazy to look it up, since I don't
care if it does.

Other than anecdotes and opinions, there isn't much more that we can
give anyone. It's not like Dell sets prices by asking the opinions of
the regulars here.

Well, at least other than me. Me, they ask regularly but I'm too
stubborn to help.

Tom
Yes, there should be lots of smiley faces on this one.

Posted At: Tuesday, May 29, 2007 7:44 PM
Posted To: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Conversation: Buying stuff from Dell: Price differences (USA-Canada) ?

Old May 30th 07, 01:13 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

On Tue, 29 May 2007 19:09:58 -0500, Journey wrote:

On Tue, 29 May 2007 18:57:36 -0500, RnR wrote:

Frankly, where I came from originally (NYC) we could care less about
upstate NY and even less about Canada. Unfortunately I have relatives
born and raised in upstate NY.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it!!

How do you feel about cheeseheads? :-)

We just eat them (in our grilled cheese sandwiches) .
Old May 30th 07, 06:18 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
journey

On Wed, 30 May 2007 07:13:57 -0500, RnR wrote:

On Tue, 29 May 2007 19:09:58 -0500, Journey wrote:

On Tue, 29 May 2007 18:57:36 -0500, RnR wrote:

Frankly, where I came from originally (NYC) we could care less about
upstate NY and even less about Canada. Unfortunately I have relatives
born and raised in upstate NY.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it!!

How do you feel about cheeseheads? :-)

We just eat them (in our grilled cheese sandwiches) .

OK but please know -- I am not one of those processed cheese slices in
plastic wrap, I am the real thing. I love to be eaten -- no, I LIVE
to be eaten. Right now I am smitten by this cute Swiss gal, but I am
melting to meet Jalapeno Jayne -- she is HOT baybee.
Old May 31st 07, 03:46 AM posted to can.internet.highspeed,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tony[_3_]

Hey Chuck? What's going on? Your Ottawa Froggers are being pummeled SENSless
by the Midget Ducks. Quack, Quack. The Midget Ducks will be bringing their
polar bear suits as they brave the -50 degree below zero temperatures in
Ottawa. The sweep is intact.

chuckcar wrote: