Overall reddish prints

Old July 1st 05, 11:01 PM
Stevelee

Burt wrote:
Satoshi,

Nihonjin des-ka?

The zinc plated screws that were first used for sealing carts corroded
slightly at the tip. The zinc coating is not adequate to protect them in a
continually damp environment. I have just started to use this technique
with stainless steel screws. I think it will work well. The #6 - 1/2 inch
size is available at Ace hardware stores in a pack of 5 in SF. I use them
with very small O rings to create the seal. Ron Cohen is in the process of
finding a source for nylon or plastic screws that, with O rings, will
accomplish the same purpose and not require a screwdriver to undo. They
would have a top the you could unscrew with your fingers. They may make an
airtight seal without O rings. There is one refillable cartridge I have
seen that someone reported on this NG last week that comes from Hobbicolors
on ebay. It has a plastic 'thumb' screw that can be unscrewed with your
fingers for refilling. The set of Hobbicolors carts comes in their refill
kit and the person who posted this information also said the ink colors were
extremely close to OEM inks. They have an introductory kit that is
inexpensive and is worth the price of the carts, alone.

""Satoshi" wrote in message

I was the one who reported this. The idea of using plastic screw to seal the cartridge
is simple and works really well. The virgin cartridge from Hobbicolors simply works.
If you are handy and have large number of empty OEM carts go ahead to "screw them up"
and enjoy easier than ever refilling. But if you don't have enough good empty carts to
begin with I would recommend buying them from Hobbicolors. They are not expensive.
The plastic screws they use are slotted screws so you do need a slotted screw driver
to screw and unscrew them. Don't think bare fingers can do it.

Bought a smallest kit for my i960 about a year ago. I immediately bought their bulk ink
in 4 ounce bottles right after. My i960 produced just about identical colors comparing to
Canon inks printed on Kodak and Epson glossy from Costco a year ago. I now use their carts
and inks, all 8 colors, on my ip8500. The colors are just about identical to OEM when printed
on Kirkland's Swiss made glossy photopaper. The best part of this is for 6 months I have not
had any clogs. I notice that I seldom need to activate cleaning cycles. Well, the printer
does it by itself more frequent than my i960 used to do. That may have helped. Ink consumption
seems higher on my ip8500.

Hobbicolors appears to be still in a startup phase as a business. But looks like they have
sold hundreds of kits already on Ebay. Check it out on Ebay. It may take you some effort to
find their listings. Search for "refill" or "bulk" keywords.

Old July 2nd 05, 01:49 AM
Burt

The Hobbicolors starter kit which includes virgin carts and one oz bottles
of ink costs about $16 for the i960 6 color printer. This is cheaper than
the inkjetgoodies carts, even if you were to throw the ink away! If what
you are currently using works well for you, however, I wouldn't change! The
screw technique is easier than the tiny plugs in the alotofthings carts.
Removing and replacing the screw is much easier to handle than the little
plugs, especially with rubber gloves on and a bit slippery from ink. The
down side is that you need a screwdriver to remove and replace them. Still
easier than the small plugs. Don't use the zinc plated screws, however.
Get some stainless steel ones and O rings that fit the screw pretty tight.
The O ring is the seal. For OEM carts the best plug system is from Computer
Friends. They have a blue plastic plug with a little flap that you can grip
with your fingers. They fit in the original fill hole after you punch the
plastic ball into the reservoir. They don't show them on their web site as
they are included in their refill kits. I think that if you email or call
them they will sell them to you separately. Strictly for OEM refilling. I
don't think any of the other carts have that big a fill hole in them.

Watashi-no namai-wa Burt desu. Alias wa nein-desu. Not too bad for a
gygin, Ney?

"Satoshi" wrote in message

Thank you Burt.

Satoshi wa pokuno alias desu.

I already looked at Hobbicolors carts. It seems that their carts are not
sold separately but altogether with inks.
I have been using carts from inkjetgoodies.com (and inks from
alotofthings). They were great.
Those carts use soft rubber plugs. I like it. So far I did not see any
leak.
I am just wondering how good the steel screws could be.

Regards,

Satoshi

#6 - 1/2 inch size is available at Ace hardware stores in a pack of 5 in
SF. I use them with very small O rings to create the seal. Ron Cohen is
in the process of finding a source for nylon or plastic screws that, with
O rings, will accomplish the same purpose and not require a screwdriver
to undo. They would have a top the you could unscrew with your fingers.
They may make an airtight seal without O rings. There is one refillable
cartridge I have seen that someone reported on this NG last week that
comes from Hobbicolors on ebay. It has a plastic 'thumb' screw that can
be unscrewed with your fingers for refilling. The set of Hobbicolors
carts comes in their refill kit and the person who posted this
information also said the ink colors were extremely close to OEM inks.
They have an introductory kit that is inexpensive and is worth the price
of the carts, alone.

""Satoshi" wrote in message
Hi Burt,

screws regardless right size or not. The plastic screw seals better
because it
is a little flexible to be really air tight. Actual experiment will
tell.

I am interesting in plastic screw and its seal. Where can I find them.
Costco and other hardware stores now carry zinc-metal screws.

Satoshi

" Burt wrote:

I don't know what perverse pleasure Measekite got out of changing the
size of the screw in my post except to create a problem for someone
who would try this technique. The correct size for most carts witht
the small plugs is #7 -3/8. This is supposed to be a forum for
helping people with printer questions, not a place for stupid pranks.

Don't know about the size of the screw. I guess it is the square of
the siz that fits my wife. But I won't feel comfortable using metal

Old July 2nd 05, 02:09 AM
satoshi

Alias wa nein-desu. Not too bad for a gygin, Ney?

Sounds greqat, though.

Alias wa nein-desu.

This should be read "nei-desu".
The word "nein" in your words sounds like a German: Ja or Nein in German
or Oui or Non in French.
Noboy loves French any more nowadays, huh!

I will look into Computer Friends.

Satoshi

Old July 2nd 05, 02:20 AM
Burt

I only learned conversational nihon-go when living in Japan 45 years ago.
Always thought that the word sounded like Nein, but must have imagined the
"n" at the end. And you are right about French, I'll take sushi over pate
anyday.

Old July 2nd 05, 02:40 AM
Taliesyn

Burt wrote:

I only learned conversational nihon-go when living in Japan 45 years ago.
Always thought that the word sounded like Nein, but must have imagined the
"n" at the end. And you are right about French, I'll take sushi over pate
anyday.

Hmmm.... Sushi: recently swimming fish (raw). I'll pass.

Since you won't be needing your Parisian dish, Burt, can you pass the
French Fries, please. I could have some right now with a tall, sparkling
glass of French wine - or even aftermarket wine ;-) - to unclog my
nozzles. Bon apetit!

-Taliesyn (munching on Chinese sesame flavored rice crackers as we speak)

Old July 2nd 05, 03:06 AM
Burt

Also some very tasty cooked fish sushi and veggie sushi available. Eel,
squid, octopus, etc. good stuff. Living in California, we rarely drink
French wines any more. We do get some good Australian and Chilean wines
also.

Old July 2nd 05, 03:26 AM
Taliesyn

Burt wrote:

Also some very tasty cooked fish sushi and veggie sushi available. Eel,
squid, octopus, etc. good stuff.

Stop, you're killing me! I'm going to be sick.

Living in California, we rarely drink French wines any more.
We do get some good Australian and Chilean wines also.

Napa Valley's come a long way from when they were considered
"aftermarket" wines years back? I'm not much into drinking. But I did
like a sip of infamous Newfoundland Screech (rum) after meals, from a
bottle someone once gave me. I should try to see if I can get it online.
That stuff is guaranteed to open any clogged nozzles!

-Taliesyn

Old July 2nd 05, 05:47 AM
George E. Cawthon

"satoshi" wrote in message

Alias wa nein-desu. Not too bad for a gygin, Ney?

Sounds greqat, though.

Alias wa nein-desu.

This should be read "nei-desu".
The word "nein" in your words sounds like a German: Ja or Nein in
German or Oui or Non in French.
Noboy loves French any more nowadays, huh!

I will look into Computer Friends.

Satoshi

Seems everybody likes to mix up sushi and sashimi.
Sashimi is the raw fish.