Windows 7 upgrade from Vista: clean install or upgrade? Former I think

Old November 6th 10, 08:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
RayLopez99

Default Windows 7 upgrade from Vista: clean install or upgrade? Former I think

I've seen the threads elsewhere but I just want to make su clean
install is the way to go. But I hope my Office 2010 can be
reinstalled on my Win7 machine, if it has the same hardware as it did
when I installed in under Vista--I don't see why not, as only the OS
will change from Vista to 7.

Likewise for all my other programs save the Kaspersky antivirus and
firewall, which I will scrap in favor of the built in Windows 7
Firewall and AV package.

I'll have to reinstall certain older programs like PeachTree and
others but that's life.

Also Win 7 is 15% faster on the same hardware as Vista says PC Mag.
Not sure if it's faster than XP but nowadays many programs, like
Visual Studio 2010 and the Azure toolkit, require Vista or 7 so that's
moot for me.

Anything else?

RL
Old November 6th 10, 09:15 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
bbgruff

RayLopez99 wrote:

I've seen the threads elsewhere but I just want to make su clean
install is the way to go. But I hope my Office 2010 can be
reinstalled on my Win7 machine, if it has the same hardware as it did
when I installed in under Vista--I don't see why not, as only the OS
will change from Vista to 7.

Likewise for all my other programs save the Kaspersky antivirus and
firewall, which I will scrap in favor of the built in Windows 7
Firewall and AV package.

I'll have to reinstall certain older programs like PeachTree and
others but that's life.

Also Win 7 is 15% faster on the same hardware as Vista says PC Mag.
Not sure if it's faster than XP but nowadays many programs, like
Visual Studio 2010 and the Azure toolkit, require Vista or 7 so that's
moot for me.

Anything else?

Yes.
You have posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Your post belongs in alt.windows7.general

Old November 6th 10, 09:32 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
TVeblen

On 11/6/2010 4:34 PM, RayLopez99 wrote:
[...]

Yes, clean install is the way to go. We've seen too many issues with
Vista Upgrades.

Backup all your personal data, and make sure you have all your disks to
reinstall all your programs. Then wipe the hard drive (or the C:
partition) using DISKPART from the Windows 7 DVD, or just format it NTFS
during the install.

Make sure you have all your Windows 7 (32 bit or 64 bit) drivers for
your hardware. W7 will install without any need for these at the time -
it will find and install it's own drivers for most hardware, but you
will want to update the drivers to the most recent version after the
installation and device manger is sure to have a couple components that
a driver could not be found for.

Nitpick: Windows AV (Microsoft Security Essentials) is free but not
native to W7. You just download and install afterward.

Reinstall Office 2010 and if it does not activate online all it will
take is a phone call to MS. Nothing to worry about.

If you have any issues with your install just visit us over at
SevenForums and someone will help you with any problem you could
possibly have. http://www.sevenforums.com/

Good install tutorial he
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...-a.html?filter[2]=General%20Tips

Old November 7th 10, 12:18 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
RayLopez99

On Nov 6, 11:15*pm, bbgruff wrote:

Yes.
You have posted to *alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Your post belongs in *alt.windows7.general

You. You belong to COLA. Stay in your sandbox.

Vamos!

RL
Old November 7th 10, 12:26 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
RayLopez99

On Nov 6, 11:32*pm, TVeblen wrote:
On 11/6/2010 4:34 PM, RayLopez99 wrote:

Yes, clean install is the way to go. We've seen too many issues with
Vista Upgrades.

Backup all your personal data, and make sure you have all your disks to
reinstall all your programs. Then wipe the hard drive (or the C:
partition) using DISKPART from the Windows 7 DVD, or just format it NTFS
during the install.

Right.

Make sure you have all your Windows 7 (32 bit or 64 bit) drivers for
your hardware. W7 will install without any need for these at the time -
it will find and install it's own drivers for most hardware, but you
will want to update the drivers to the most recent version after the
installation and device manger is sure to have a couple components that
a driver could not be found for.

Well my peripherals drivers were from 2007. I would hope by now W7
has these or even more recent versions, which I can also get online
after I load up W7. BTW I had a hell of time installing Vista because
of my SATA drives--very complicated, but I managed it. I hope W7
doesn't have the same problem. In theory the drives are self
recognizing I think--these were Hitachi drives. Nice drives, quiet,
but I had a hard time getting them recognized.

Nitpick: Windows AV (Microsoft Security Essentials) is free but not
native to W7. You just download and install afterward.

So in the meantime, for the half hour or so of setup, you are surfing
the internet naked? isn't that about enough time to get infected by a
virus? Maybe I'll turn on the built in firewall and take my chances.

Reinstall Office 2010 and if it does not activate online all it will
take is a phone call to MS. Nothing to worry about.

The phone call is what I dread. I think I might have a $5 grey goods
copy. But I'll deal with it. Make sure I call using Skype which is
somewhat private.

If you have any issues with your install just visit us over at
SevenForums and someone will help you with any problem you could
possibly have. http://www.sevenforums.com/

OK thanks, bookmarked it.

RL
Old November 7th 10, 01:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
TVeblen

On 11/7/2010 7:26 AM, RayLopez99 wrote:
On Nov 6, 11:32 pm, wrote:
[...]

Hey RL

W7 comes with basic drivers - just to avoid the problems they had with
Vista. But the retail version was released in Oct 2009 and the drivers
will not be any newer than that. In addition, the drivers provided by
the component manufacturer, if more recent, will have bug fixes and can
sometimes activate advanced capabilities of the device. It's just best
practice to be using the most current driver available for your device
from the manufacturer. But not always necessary.

When I installed W7 I did not install Firefox or browse the web at all
until I had installed AV. W7 connecting to Windows Update is not the
same as browsing the web! So you will be fine unless you go looking for
trouble.

You may know this already, but, you should decide what SATA mode you
want to use BEFORE the W7 installation. Most people with new SATA drives
choose AHCI mode. You need to go into your BIOS and set the Storage
Configuration Configure SATA as : to AHCI. It will be IDE by default.
While it can be done, it is a pain to change this after W7 installation.

Hope that helps.
Old November 7th 10, 01:53 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Man-wai Chang

Also Win 7 is 15% faster on the same hardware as Vista says PC Mag.
Not sure if it's faster than XP but nowadays many programs, like
Visual Studio 2010 and the Azure toolkit, require Vista or 7 so that's
moot for me.

Buy a new hard disk and do a clean install. After you copied the data
from the old disk to the new disk, the old disk becomes a full backup!

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.36
Old November 7th 10, 05:50 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
RayLopez99

On Nov 7, 3:39*pm, TVeblen wrote:

W7 comes with basic drivers - just to avoid the problems they had with
Vista. But the retail version was released in Oct 2009 and the drivers
will not be any newer than that. In addition, the drivers provided by
the component manufacturer, if more recent, will have bug fixes and can
sometimes activate advanced capabilities of the device. It's just best
practice to be using the most current driver available for your device
from the manufacturer. But not always necessary.

OK. The only driver of any consequence will be the video drive for a
generic ATI card I have. And the printer driver from HP.

When I installed W7 I did not install Firefox or browse the web at all
until I had installed AV. W7 connecting to Windows Update is not the
same as browsing the web! So you will be fine unless you go looking for
trouble.

I did not know this. I thought Update was internet access.

You may know this already, but, you should decide what SATA mode you
want to use BEFORE the W7 installation. Most people with new SATA drives
choose AHCI mode. You need to go into your BIOS and set the Storage
Configuration Configure SATA as : to AHCI. It will be IDE by default.
While it can be done, it is a pain to change this after W7 installation.

I did not know this. Perhaps (I'll have to check) my old Vista SATA
drive is set up in "legacy" non-AHCI mode. Very interesting, perhaps
this is why it took so long to boot Vista.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advance...ller_Interface ("
Intel recommends choosing RAID mode on their motherboards (which also
enables AHCI) rather than AHCI/SATA mode for maximum flexibility, due
to the issues caused when the mode is switched once an operating
system has already been installed." -- that's interesting--choosing
RAID mode when you don't even have RAID?!)

RL
Old November 7th 10, 05:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
RayLopez99

On Nov 7, 3:53*pm, Man-wai Chang wrote:
Also Win 7 is 15% faster on the same hardware as Vista says PC Mag.
Not sure if it's faster than XP but nowadays many programs, like
Visual Studio 2010 and the Azure toolkit, require Vista or 7 so that's
moot for me.

Buy a new hard disk and do a clean install. After you copied the data
from the old disk to the new disk, the old disk becomes a full backup!

Sounds wacko WMC, but I'm perhaps not as experienced as you. I do
have two disks, and I use the second one as backup already. And how
do you copy data, XCOPY?

I'll stick to what I know...the little I know...

RL
Old November 7th 10, 08:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
TVeblen

On 11/7/2010 12:50 PM, RayLopez99 wrote:
On Nov 7, 3:39 pm, wrote:

[...]

No. Don't set up RAID unless you are going to use RAID.
I don't know why Intel would push that. We've had a lot of folks run
into problems with that setup. Just use AHCI.

W7 accesses Windows Update over the internet. But if any "website" was
going to be secure it would probably be Windows Update!
In general, malicious websites and malware don't find you. You find them.