WD HDD not recognised by XP

Old May 23rd 09, 07:45 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Tom

Default WD HDD not recognised by XP

Hi All,
I have a brand new WD Caviar HDD (EIDE/PATA) that has a relatively
modest capacity of 80gb. I bought it about a year ago from eBuyer as a
spare drive and only got round to using it this week.

I was expecting to be able to use it immediately with a USB to EIDE
adaptor that works perfectly with another HDD (old Maxtor 140gb) but
the new WD refuses to be fully recognised under XP. When plugged into
the USB to EIDE adaptor XP cannot see it nor when it is plugged into
the EIDE ribbon cable inside the computer BUT Paragon Hard Disc
Manager knows its there and can format it as NTFS.

Despite being formatted XP still can't see the drive, either attached
to the EIDE ribbon cable or with the USB adaptor... BUT Ubuntu Linux
can see it and use it with the USB adaptor.

Is this strange or what ?
Rgds., R
Old May 23rd 09, 07:48 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Tom

Sorry, forgot to add that the new WD HDD CAN be seen on my notebook pc
using, of course, the USB adaptor. Could this anything to do with XP
SP3? The netbook has this but the desktop not.

Thanks, R
Old May 23rd 09, 08:35 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Don Phillipson[_4_]

"Tom" wrote in message

I have a brand new WD Caviar HDD (EIDE/PATA) . . .
the new WD refuses to be fully recognised under XP. When plugged into
the USB to EIDE adaptor XP cannot see it nor when it is plugged into
the EIDE ribbon cable inside the computer BUT Paragon Hard Disc
Manager knows its there and can format it as NTFS.

Despite being formatted XP still can't see the drive, either attached
to the EIDE ribbon cable or with the USB adaptor... BUT Ubuntu Linux
can see it and use it with the USB adaptor.

Sorry, forgot to add that the new WD HDD CAN be seen on my notebook pc
using, of course, the USB adaptor. Could this anything to do with XP
SP3? The netbook has this but the desktop not.

Recognition of the drive via USB but not EIDE suggests user
error in your connection via IDE. Better repost together with
your check list (jumpers, master/slave etc.) When those are set
OK, BIOS should report recognizing the new drive at boot
(and WinXP merely follows the BIOS. Your USB connection
to the laptop will rapidly tell you whether the new drive has
been partitioned and formatted or not.)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Old May 23rd 09, 08:48 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Dave[_34_]

"Tom" wrote in message
Sorry, forgot to add that the new WD HDD CAN be seen on my notebook pc
using, of course, the USB adaptor. Could this anything to do with XP
SP3? The netbook has this but the desktop not.

Thanks, R

How are the jumpers set? I can't remember how WD does it. But for a single
drive, it would either need to be jumpered as master or NO jumper. -Dave

Old May 24th 09, 03:22 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

On May 23, 2:45 pm, Tom wrote:
Hi All,
I have a brand new WD Caviar HDD (EIDE/PATA) that has a relatively
modest capacity of 80gb. I bought it about a year ago from eBuyer as a
spare drive and only got round to using it this week.

I was expecting to be able to use it immediately with a USB to EIDE
adaptor that works perfectly with another HDD (old Maxtor 140gb) but
the new WD refuses to be fully recognised under XP. When plugged into
the USB to EIDE adaptor XP cannot see it nor when it is plugged into
the EIDE ribbon cable inside the computer BUT Paragon Hard Disc
Manager knows its there and can format it as NTFS.

Despite being formatted XP still can't see the drive, either attached
to the EIDE ribbon cable or with the USB adaptor... BUT Ubuntu Linux
can see it and use it with the USB adaptor.

Is this strange or what ?
Rgds., R

Not really. Just when you think you know it all, and go to do
something on a PC...it's them same ol' au contraire blues.
Empirically speaking, there's very little that doesn't occur
unequivocally how and when I want, that I can't attribute to some
serious hard looking. As a result, I've the mightiest mass of kludge
known to an XP install, over 5 years in the making. (No LINUX
variants although I do binary partitions Ghosts from DOS6.22).

When going after HDs, especially smaller or with any additional format
structures, I tend to like initiating the setup with Partition Magic,
in DOS6.22, before letting XP at them.

Haven't wrapped my ears around USB and ESATA as yet;- stressing the
benefits of the nearest priced server-grade PS I could afford, @$100
when 400W was higher end -- seems somehow counterintuitive, to go out
and buy an external 3.5 device, and its brick, from a $20 sale.
Convenient looking, though, that it is. My HDs on the 400W server
type PS are 5 years old. Wonder how they'd hold up in a new, though
rather large, top-slotted, $60 enclosure for randomly inserting P&P
operability from a stack of HDs. Thermaltake, Roswill, or one of the
popular ones from Newegg. Of course first I'd attempt to stick on $6
direct from HongKong, EBAY EIDE SAT converters before the slam-
dunking began.
Old May 24th 09, 04:49 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
JAD[_5_]

"Tom" wrote in message
Hi All,
I have a brand new WD Caviar HDD (EIDE/PATA) that has a relatively
modest capacity of 80gb. I bought it about a year ago from eBuyer as a
spare drive and only got round to using it this week.

I was expecting to be able to use it immediately with a USB to EIDE
adaptor that works perfectly with another HDD (old Maxtor 140gb) but
the new WD refuses to be fully recognised under XP. When plugged into
the USB to EIDE adaptor XP cannot see it nor when it is plugged into
the EIDE ribbon cable inside the computer BUT Paragon Hard Disc
Manager knows its there and can format it as NTFS.

Despite being formatted XP still can't see the drive, either attached
to the EIDE ribbon cable or with the USB adaptor... BUT Ubuntu Linux
can see it and use it with the USB adaptor.

Is this strange or what ?
Rgds., R

Remove from device manager under the heading 'Universal Serial Bus devices' all
entries of 'composite USB device'
reboot and try the drive