Brother (MFC590) Maintenance mode/get printhead to move when error code 41

Old January 12th 07, 08:58 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Gel

Default Brother (MFC590) Maintenance mode/get printhead to move when error code 41

My back up as above has had 2 new print heads due to Error 41; Anyone
know what is the maintenance code/method so that I can get printer to
move print head out to middle, as won't move from right and can't be
pulled by hand.

I wondered if I took out and refitted may give me few more days work.

Brother UK refused to repair due to age, despite my moaning that they
had alraedy fitted 2 new printheads, both of which were supposed to be
the absolute final fix!

Old January 13th 07, 05:28 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Tony

"Gel" wrote:
My back up as above has had 2 new print heads due to Error 41; Anyone
know what is the maintenance code/method so that I can get printer to
move print head out to middle, as won't move from right and can't be
pulled by hand.

I wondered if I took out and refitted may give me few more days work.

Brother UK refused to repair due to age, despite my moaning that they
had alraedy fitted 2 new printheads, both of which were supposed to be
the absolute final fix!

Error 41 is almost always a failed printhead as I suspect you already know.
Brother produced a heap of bad printheads and extended the warranty on them (at
least in some countries, maybe all) to 18 months from date of purchase or 24
months from date of manufacture. If your printer has a manufacture date of less
than 24 months you should try them again.
If you power the printer on, does the carriage start to move before the error
occurs, if so, pull the power plug as soon as you hear the carriage move and
you should be able to move the head by hand, unfortunately I do not think you
will be able to get the printer to print using any technique (other than a new
printhead of course).
Tony
MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Old January 13th 07, 02:04 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Gel

Tony thanks, tried that but head was still on right; however switching
off
found it was now unlocked so could be slid.

Will clean & try.

I've written Brother UK MD as well to try & get a head, as despite the
age, the fact remains that the original manufacturing fault was not
permanently cured as I was assured..twice!

Old January 13th 07, 04:28 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Mr Manuals

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 22:28:24 -0600, Tony
wrote:

"Gel" wrote:
[...]

I just uploaded the Parts & Service manual for this fax machine to
alt.binaries.e-book.technical

Paul
Want to Fix Something?

http://www.manuals4you.com

http://www.justmanuals.com
Instant download after purchase

Old January 13th 07, 09:42 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Tony

Good luck
See the post from Mr. Manuals.
If worst comes to worst you may be able to buy a printhead, they are not
difficult to replace, there are a couple of adjustments that are explained in
the manual that Mr. Manuals has posted.

Old January 15th 07, 10:12 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Gel

Update; following fax to Brother UK MD, had a call from them today
advising
that sending new printhead wasn't the solution, as it would only
provide
a temporary fix.
Indicated that fault was in the printer rather than printhead;
interesting!!

Good news is they're shipping me a new MFC 620, so full marks
to Brother for retaining my goodwill.

On Jan 13, 4:28 am, Tony wrote:
"Gel" wrote:
[...]

MS MVP Printing/Imaging- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

Old January 16th 07, 04:44 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Tony

That is excellent news.
Yes it is very interesting that they say the problem is the printer rather than
the printhead!
Thanks for keeping us up-to-date.
Tony