Refurbished/Scratch-and-Dent

Old December 29th 06, 11:19 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

Default Refurbished/Scratch-and-Dent

Has anyone had any good or bad experiences with refurbished Dells? I
don't care if they have scratches and dents as long as the price is
good.

Also, when is the best time to buy a refurbished Dell? My guess is that
Christmas returns mean a lot of used desktops to choose from. Should I
wait a couple of weeks to get the possible selection?

SB

Old December 30th 06, 12:57 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

wrote in message
oups.com...
Has anyone had any good or bad experiences with refurbished Dells? I
don't care if they have scratches and dents as long as the price is
good.

Also, when is the best time to buy a refurbished Dell? My guess is that
Christmas returns mean a lot of used desktops to choose from. Should I
wait a couple of weeks to get the possible selection?

SB

I've bought a lot of refurbs and they're great.

My only problem right now that would keep me from buying one is that they
don't seem to come with the free Vista upgrade coupon. That alone makes
buying a new one worth it.

Old December 30th 06, 01:46 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

What is the relative value of the Vista coupon? In other words, how
much cheaper does the refurb have to be versus a new desktop for it to
be a worthwhile deal?

SB

wrote in ooglegroups.com...

Old December 30th 06, 02:16 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

Well, for an MCE machine, it is an upgrade to Home Premium, so I'd guess
$150 or so. Don't know pricing.
ups.com...

Old December 30th 06, 02:54 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S. Stern

If the coupon is for the "upgrade edition", I wouldn't want it. Unless
it allows a clean install..
Old December 30th 06, 03:52 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

"S. Stern" wrote in message
news
If the coupon is for the "upgrade edition", I wouldn't want it. Unless
it allows a clean install..

Every upgrade version of every Windows OS that I have owned allowed a clean
install. Don't know that Vista would be different.

Old December 30th 06, 04:30 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR

On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 19:57:35 -0500, "Tom Scales"
wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
Has anyone had any good or bad experiences with refurbished Dells? I
don't care if they have scratches and dents as long as the price is
good.

Also, when is the best time to buy a refurbished Dell? My guess is that
Christmas returns mean a lot of used desktops to choose from. Should I
wait a couple of weeks to get the possible selection?

SB

I've bought a lot of refurbs and they're great.

My only problem right now that would keep me from buying one is that they
don't seem to come with the free Vista upgrade coupon. That alone makes
buying a new one worth it.

That depends on whether you really have to have Vista right away.
If not, take the savings in hardware now and perhaps later when the
retail version of Vista comes down in price, buy it ??
Old December 30th 06, 05:45 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Sparky Spartacus

RnR wrote:
On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 19:57:35 -0500, "Tom Scales"
wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
Has anyone had any good or bad experiences with refurbished Dells? I
don't care if they have scratches and dents as long as the price is
good.

Also, when is the best time to buy a refurbished Dell? My guess is that
Christmas returns mean a lot of used desktops to choose from. Should I
wait a couple of weeks to get the possible selection?

SB

I've bought a lot of refurbs and they're great.

My only problem right now that would keep me from buying one is that they
don't seem to come with the free Vista upgrade coupon. That alone makes
buying a new one worth it.

That depends on whether you really have to have Vista right away.
If not, take the savings in hardware now and perhaps later when the
retail version of Vista comes down in price, buy it ??

Or wait & buy a new PC with Vista already installed?

Old December 30th 06, 02:05 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bob Levine

Sparky Spartacus wrote:

Or wait & buy a new PC with Vista already installed?

For 98% of the population those are words of wisdom.

Bob