Scratch and Dent laptops

Old November 9th 06, 04:46 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR

Default Scratch and Dent laptops

Anyone ever buy one of these type laptops? Are the screens themselves
always okay? It appears from reading the web site, they are but I
just wanted to hear from someone who actually bought one or more.
On the otherhand, I'm not concerned if I were buying a pc as I don't
care if the tower/mini tower is scratched.

thanks
Old November 9th 06, 05:10 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

Sure. I bought my Inspiron 9300 from the outlet. The 'dents' are just
exterior cosmetic flaws. Mine actually didn't have any, but they're very
conservative.

I've bought a bunch of computers from the outlet. I've toured the refurb
center in Austin and it is very impressive. They test them better than the
new ones!

Tom

Old November 9th 06, 05:17 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Notan

RnR wrote:

Anyone ever buy one of these type laptops? Are the screens themselves
always okay? It appears from reading the web site, they are but I
just wanted to hear from someone who actually bought one or more.
On the otherhand, I'm not concerned if I were buying a pc as I don't
care if the tower/mini tower is scratched.

Recently, picked up a Latitude D400... One very small dent on the cover,
otherwise perfect. Free shipping, 3 year Gold Tech Support. The list goes
on. (By the way, whatever you purchase, be sure it's got good warranty
coverage.)

Notan
Old November 9th 06, 05:17 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Barry Watzman

If you are talking about "factory" refurbs/seconds, you generally get
the same warranty as to condition on arrival as with a new product (the
subsequent warranty may be shorter).

Keep in mind that all laptop makers have a "dead pixel policy" on
laptops, and that even a brand new "1st quality" laptop may have a dead
pixel, or several or in some cases a surprising number of dead pixels.
There is no manufacturer that I know of that considers an LCD panel with
up to 3 non-adjacent bad pixels to be bad, and in a few cases up to
between 10 and 20 pixels may not be considered a defect by the manufacturer.

Old November 9th 06, 05:51 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Jim J

Thus spake RnR in :

Anyone ever buy one of these type laptops? Are the screens themselves
always okay? It appears from reading the web site, they are but I
just wanted to hear from someone who actually bought one or more.
On the otherhand, I'm not concerned if I were buying a pc as I don't
care if the tower/mini tower is scratched.

thanks

I bought my Inspiron 6000 as a "scratch & dent" in May, 2006. Six months
later, I still can't find anything wrong with it, cosmetically or
otherwise.
--
Jim