Small Business vs. Home Purchase

Old November 28th 04, 12:36 AM
S.Lewis

Default Small Business vs. Home Purchase

"Tom McCune" wrote in message
Are there any negatives from ordering a Dell Inspiron from the Small
Business option, as compared to the Home User option?

The reason I ask is that as a NY resident, I cannot have the Complete Care
coverage from the Home option, but it is available via the Small Business
option.

--
Tom McCune

Tom,

At one time there was a sales tax versus sales tax for the warranty contract
only (small business versus home). But, I've always ordered from the small
business side as it appeared overall to be a better deal. I'm supposed to
pay the tax anyway, so that wasn't a deterrent for me.

I'd go for it.

Stew

Old November 28th 04, 01:04 AM
Notan

"S.Lewis" wrote:

"Tom McCune" wrote in message
Are there any negatives from ordering a Dell Inspiron from the Small
Business option, as compared to the Home User option?

The reason I ask is that as a NY resident, I cannot have the Complete Care
coverage from the Home option, but it is available via the Small Business
option.

--
Tom McCune

Tom,

At one time there was a sales tax versus sales tax for the warranty contract
only (small business versus home). But, I've always ordered from the small
business side as it appeared overall to be a better deal. I'm supposed to
pay the tax anyway, so that wasn't a deterrent for me.

I'd go for it.

Another thing that a Small Business purchase will get you is the
option of choosing Dell's Gold Tech Support... Shorter hold times
and U.S. based support.

Notan
Old November 28th 04, 01:12 AM
Tom Almy

Tom McCune wrote:
Are there any negatives from ordering a Dell Inspiron from the Small
Business option, as compared to the Home User option?

The reason I ask is that as a NY resident, I cannot have the Complete Care
coverage from the Home option, but it is available via the Small Business
option.

I've always ordered from Small Business (6 systems to date) and found no
negatives. See my information page on the differences:

http://almy.us/homevsbusiness.html

Old November 28th 04, 05:37 AM
Tom Almy

Tom McCune wrote:

Any chance you can help point me to

"Also sign up on the Small Business site on the e-coupon mailing list and
watch discount sites for special e-coupons."

I was just looking for it, but couldn't find it.

It's there under the title "Get Special Deals, Right to Your Inbox" on
the Dell Small Business home page.

This URL should work if you want to go there directly:

http://membership.dell.com/subscript...ce_id=20000 0
Old November 28th 04, 06:04 AM
S.Lewis

"Tom McCune" wrote in message
"S.Lewis" wrote in
news
Tom,

At one time there was a sales tax versus sales tax for the warranty
contract only (small business versus home). But, I've always ordered
from the small business side as it appeared overall to be a better
deal. I'm supposed to pay the tax anyway, so that wasn't a deterrent
for me.

I'd go for it.

Thanks Stew,

Could you please clarify the tax issue for me. My last Dell computer (my
laptop) purchase was a less than two years ago. The subtotal was
$2,020.00
and the tax came to only $25.52. Just yesterday, I ordered a new battery
from Dell, and there was no tax on it. This could possibly be an
important
issue - my county just raised sales tax to 9.75%.

--
Tom McCune

The policy was that small business systems were charged full sales tax
(system + warranty taxes) since Dell has a presence in all 50 states.

Systems bought on the home side were only charged tax on their service
warranty.

Some states were exceptions to this no doubt, but I don't know those
details. Further, I'm not positive that they still charge taxes in the same
manner as in the past.

Again, I've always bought from the small business side due to a generally
better price and HW/SW configurations that better meet my needs.

Stew

Old November 28th 04, 06:48 AM
joe_tide

Where Dell has a "Dell Direct Store", usually a kiosk in a mall, they charge
sales tax in that state because they have a presence in that state.

Presently they a CA, FL, IL, KY, NC, NV, OH, OR, PA, TN, and TX.

Since I live in PA, it's (almost) always cheaper for me to order from the
Small Business side.

"S.Lewis" wrote in message
.. .

Old November 28th 04, 09:58 AM
Hank Arnold

As others have said, Dell Home in general only applies sales tax to service
contracts. They have to do this since the in-home service will be done by a
local sub-contractor.

As to the hardware & software, application of sales tax is a local state
policy. In NY (and, I suspect, in most other states) the law is that we are
supposed to submit a form with the requires sales tax to the state after
purchase. I suspect the compliance is somewhere between 0% and 0%....... ;-)

--
Regards,
Hank Arnold

Old November 28th 04, 12:35 PM
Ako

According to your web, some small business agents will not deal with
individuals. I have the authority to order for my department and I also want
to use a tax-excempt letter since I work for a non-profit organization.

Can I order a Latitude online then fax in the tax-excempt letter or must I
use a telephone agent?

Old November 28th 04, 02:44 PM
S.Lewis

"Ako" wrote in message
According to your web, some small business agents will not deal with
individuals. I have the authority to order for my department and I also
want to use a tax-excempt letter since I work for a non-profit
organization.

Can I order a Latitude online then fax in the tax-excempt letter or must I
use a telephone agent?

I'd use a telephone agent on this one. This way you can fax to that agent's
specific fax number and confirmation/receipt of the fax can be easily
determined.

I'm sure there's a way to do this with an online purchase, but I have
visions of a fax machine running *somewhere* at the end of a long hallway
and mistakes being made as to your exempt status.

Perhaps someone here knows of a sure-fire way to submit the form effectively
with an online purchase.

Stew

Old November 28th 04, 03:21 PM
J. Bronson

Tom.
Where do you live? I want to be sure and not move there.
9.75% tax is legallized robbery!
Jerry