Case Rails?

Old February 6th 04, 02:52 PM
PawsForThought

Default Case Rails?

I am installing an optical drive and my computer case uses those rails to hold
the drive in the bay. Unfortunately I do not know who makes this case and I
can't find any indication on the case itself. I went to the computer store to
buy the rails and they told me each brand of case uses specific rails. Does
anyone know if this is true or not?

Second question: On my primary IDE channel I have my HDD. On the second IDE
channel I have a CD writer as master and a DVD-Rom as slave. I want to add a
third optical drive, a DVD writer. What would be my best option as to setting
these 3 optical drives and the HDD on the IDE channels?

Thanks much.
Old February 6th 04, 05:07 PM
John McGaw

"PawsForThought" wrote in message
I am installing an optical drive and my computer case uses those rails to

hold
the drive in the bay. Unfortunately I do not know who makes this case and

can't find any indication on the case itself. I went to the computer

store to
buy the rails and they told me each brand of case uses specific rails.

Does
anyone know if this is true or not?

snip...
Thanks much.

I don't know that "every" brand of case uses specific rails but I can say
that of the four cases I've owned that used them each was different and
incompatible. When upgrading a system for a friend I need rails which he
didn't have any more. Being a woodworker I did the right thing and
fabricated some out of hard maple modeled on the existing ones and they
worked perfectly. Not suggesting that you do that if you aren't a
woodworker, just trying to make the point that there is usually nothing all
that special about the rails themselves and almost anything sufficiently
strong (plastic, wood, metal) can probably be turned into a replacement with
a bit of effort.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Return address will not work. Please
reply in group or through my website:
http://johnmcgaw.com

Old February 6th 04, 08:43 PM
PawsForThought

From: "John McGaw"

[...]

Thanks for your reply, John. I definitely am no woodworker, but at least I
know I need specific rails. Maybe in the meantime, I'll just pull the DVD
reader out and just put the DVD writer in instead. You would think the case
would have a brand name on it somewhere. Maybe inside? I'll have to check it
out again.
Old February 7th 04, 12:01 AM
Cerridwen

From: "John McGaw"

[...]

Here's a thought - did the case come with its own PSU? Most of the major
brands (Coolermaster, Antec, Chieftec, Enermax) make their own PSUs and
there will be a label on the side with the maker's name.

Just a thought....

Old February 7th 04, 12:23 AM
DaveW

Pairing an optical drive on the same shared IDE channel with the harddrive
is going to REALLY slowww the harddrive's data transfer rate down. I would
lose the DVD-ROM drive.

--
DaveW

Old February 7th 04, 02:08 AM
kony

On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 23:23:40 GMT, "DaveW" wrote:

Pairing an optical drive on the same shared IDE channel with the harddrive
is going to REALLY slowww the harddrive's data transfer rate down. I would
lose the DVD-ROM drive.

LOL... where's ~misfit~?...
Old February 7th 04, 03:24 AM
MrB

I'm sure you probably already looked, but the rails in my case are stamped
with the name of the case (Chieftec). It is not than obvious, so worth a
look.

[...]

What do you think this Pc Case ? Neal General 1 October 29th 03 02:03 PM
PC case with front door? Neal General 3 October 26th 03 04:44 AM
Case Reset Button Woes rcm General 5 July 25th 03 06:02 PM
How is this case? --> Fudin ATX-228P 350W Mid Tower ATX Case phantom General 0 July 13th 03 02:49 AM