How to Use UEFI With Dell T7600

Old January 25th 14, 07:37 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
W[_3_]

Default How to Use UEFI With Dell T7600

I'm about to install Windows 7 64-bit to a Dell T7600, and for the first
time I am dealing with this new replacement for BIOS named UEFI. What a
mess. It looks to me like this is a feature that doesn't quite work. The
OS support for this feature is poor. The implementation in firmware looks
immature. In any case, the problem is that if you have a bootable USB
flash on a USB 3.0 drive, it demands that you enable UEFI. I enable it,
but I cannot see the "UEFI compliant USB 3.0 Flash" from the T7600, so I
cannot select it as a boot device. I'm booting a Passmark USB 3.0 disk
with their installed benchmark application on Linux.

When I configure the T7600 for UEFI, and try to add a device, I get a
"Missing File System" error. Does this feature require that I have some
GPT formatted Windows system disk lying around for it to write its own data
files on? I really don't understand the big picture here of what I need
to have in my environment to use UEFI. Can someone point me to appropriate
documentation? As usual, the Dell T7600 documentation is very poor and
doesn't begin to answer any real questions.

And now the million-dollar question: should I even want to use UEFI in its
current state with Windows 7 64-bit? I gather it will cause more problems
than it will solve but would like to hear from others.

Windows PE Disk With Dell T7600 W[_3_] Dell Computers 1 January 23rd 14 06:48 AM
UEFI tb Homebuilt PC's 3 January 1st 13 09:46 PM
Dell T7600 on eBay? W[_3_] Dell Computers 2 November 16th 12 01:21 AM
Precision T7600 Questions W[_3_] Dell Computers 1 November 11th 12 05:49 PM
UEFI Cameo[_2_] Overclocking 2 October 22nd 10 08:24 PM