GA-K8NF-9 rev.1 and Gigabit LAN problems

Old August 23rd 11, 07:55 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Massimo[_5_]

Default GA-K8NF-9 rev.1 and Gigabit LAN problems

First of all, hi to everyone! :-)

Yesterday I've bought the router Netgear DGN3500 with gigalan, but LAN
on motherboard works olny until 100Mb/s. I Cannot in any way to make
it run at 1 Gb/s.

In the advanced settings of the ethernet adapter the selectrd speed is
on "autonegotiation" but the speed of 1000 Mb/s doesn't appear among
the options.

Cable is a Cat.5 cable, compatible with Gigalan, included in the
package of the router.

Drivers (SO in my PC is Windows 7 32 bit) are the last release
available for nForce4 which works with Vista/Win7 32 bit (Driver
Ethernet v67.89 "WHQL"). LAN drivers 6.66 available on GIGABYTE web
site are for WinXp and doesn't work at all with Windows 7.

Do you have a suggestion for me before I buy a PCI ethernet card?

Many thanks in avance for your answers. ;-)
Old August 23rd 11, 10:32 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Paul

Massimo wrote:
First of all, hi to everyone! :-)

Yesterday I've bought the router Netgear DGN3500 with gigalan, but LAN
on motherboard works olny until 100Mb/s. I Cannot in any way to make
it run at 1 Gb/s.

In the advanced settings of the ethernet adapter the selectrd speed is
on "autonegotiation" but the speed of 1000 Mb/s doesn't appear among
the options.

Cable is a Cat.5 cable, compatible with Gigalan, included in the
package of the router.

Drivers (SO in my PC is Windows 7 32 bit) are the last release
available for nForce4 which works with Vista/Win7 32 bit (Driver
Ethernet v67.89 "WHQL"). LAN drivers 6.66 available on GIGABYTE web
site are for WinXp and doesn't work at all with Windows 7.

Do you have a suggestion for me before I buy a PCI ethernet card?

Many thanks in avance for your answers. ;-)

The RJ-45 has 8 pins on the connector. When operating at 10/100BT
Ethernet rates, only four of the pins are used (pins 1,2,3,6). When
operating at 1000BT rate, all eight pins are used.

Check that the cable being used, has a total of 8 wires. A very old
cable may only have four wires and be thinner looking. If the cable
has four wires, the autonegotiation process will be limited to
10/100BT rates.

Also, check the Ethernet connector for contamination. On my P4 based
motherboard from Asus, the Ethernet connector was dirty from the factory.
By plugging and unplugging the Ethernet cable five times, that scraped
the debris off the gold plated contacts in the RJ-45 connector
housing. And then, my Ethernet worked at 1000BT. The motherboards
are washed after soldering them, and sometimes residue from the
wash water, contaminates the connectors.

*******

When I needed a gigabit Ethernet card, I bought a PCI card with
a RealTek RTL8169SC on it. I could get about 70MB/sec from it,
in my first tests. Some of my other PCs, with GbE interfaces,
can run 117MB/sec usable transfer rate, in similar tests (out of
the cable transfer rate maximum of 125MB/sec). After a lot more
experiments, I determined the card needs a powerful processor, to
operate at full rate. If the motherboard had a 4GHz Core2 processor,
it could probably reach 117MB/sec like the other Ethernet interfaces.
When I checked, it generated four times as many interrupt
requests, as the other Ethernet chips I tested.

So if you shop for a PCI Ethernet card, I would not
recommend one based on RTL8169SC. There are probably
some cards with Intel Ethernet chips on them, or
even a Marvell Ethernet chip would work better than
that.

HTH,
Paul
Old August 23rd 11, 12:10 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Massimo[_6_]

On 23 Ago, 11:32, Paul wrote:

Check that the cable being used, has a total of 8 wires. A very old
cable may only have four wires and be thinner looking. If the cable
has four wires, the autonegotiation process will be limited to
10/100BT rates.

As I wrote in the previous message, the cable is provided by Netgear
for that router, and I'm sure that it does support gigabit because a
lot of people hadn't any problem with it.

Also, check the Ethernet connector for contamination.

Many thanks for the suggestion, but if I will decide to open the PC I
will take this opportunity to put inside the new ethernet card... ;-)

So if you shop for a PCI Ethernet card, I would not
recommend one based on RTL8169SC. There are probably
some cards with Intel Ethernet chips on them, or
even a Marvell Ethernet chip would work better than
that.

I thought I would buy the D-LINK DGE-528T but I've just discovery that
the chipset of this card is the RTL8169SC. So I will check for another
adapter...
Old August 25th 11, 05:55 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Massimo[_6_]

As they suggested in the nVidia forum, I've disinstalled and deleting
the nVidia driver form the system. Then I've detected hardware
changes, so that the default driver of Windows was installed, and "et
voilat", now the gigalan works. ;-)

GA- K8NF-9 (rev 1.x) e HD SATA II Massimo[_5_] Gigabyte Motherboards 1 February 17th 10 02:39 AM
Differents between GA-K8NF-9 REV.1.x an REV 2.x Piotrek Gigabyte Motherboards 5 March 6th 07 12:35 AM
GIGABIT LAN make a difference on HOME LAN jtsnow General 9 February 2nd 05 08:24 PM
gigabit lan gotta know Homebuilt PC's 5 August 26th 04 11:19 AM
Gigabit Lan Burton Brooks Asus Motherboards 2 November 20th 03 04:26 AM