Blown PSU??

Old June 5th 09, 07:10 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Timelord

Default Blown PSU??

My 500w PSU has blown on another PC i have and was wondering what the
chances are of other hardware being damaged as a result.
My spare PSU has a 24pin mobo connector whereas the blown one has a 20pin so
i will need to get one from my local store if they have one and try it.

Thanks.

Old June 5th 09, 10:52 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Paul

timelord wrote:
My 500w PSU has blown on another PC i have and was wondering what the
chances are of other hardware being damaged as a result.
My spare PSU has a 24pin mobo connector whereas the blown one has a
20pin so i will need to get one from my local store if they have one and
try it.

Thanks.

Check the condition of the 24 pin plug. My 24 pin supply here, the connector
comes apart in two pieces, so it is 20+4. You unhinge the extra four, and then
the connector becomes a 20 pin. There are a few connectors which are purely
24, and for those, you cannot convert them. But if there is clearance around
the connectors, and no tall capacitors in the way, you might still manage to
connect it. Pin 1 on the 24 pin, goes to pin 1 on the 20 pin.

You can see a picture of a 20+4, in the upper left here.

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/cputo...e/mp3atx40.jpg

In this picture, you can see the "bump" for the hinge.

http://www.pcmcis.com/Pro/204pin.jpg

In this shot, a fixed 24 pin supply, is plugged into a 20 pin motherboard.
The four redundant pins, hang over one end. On some motherboards, a tall
cap is located, where the four redundant pins are, and then you cannot
do this. But if the area on that end is clear, as it is in this case, you
can do it like this. The alignment feature of the connector, should help
you as well (if you fit it wrong, the shapes on the plastic shell should
prevent it).

http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/24in20.jpg

Many current power supplies, can blow without damaging the motherboard. There
were some in the past, which were notorious for ruining the motherboard
(Bestec 250W). But if the supply has a half decent set of protection
features, it might not have hurt anything. Only time will tell. If you
paid $15 for the supply, the outcome is less certain. And in the event
of a lightning strike, the power supply may not get to say much about
it, and it could be fried anyway.

Paul
Old June 5th 09, 11:24 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Hueyduck[_3_]

timelord a écrit :
My 500w PSU has blown on another PC i have and was wondering what the
chances are of other hardware being damaged as a result.

I've blown at least 4 PSU since I have a PC (1998), and I never could
notice any damage. Maybe I'm lucky, but I think you don't have to worry
too much.

Huey
Old June 6th 09, 01:53 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Kent_Diego[_2_]

I have had about four or five go without problem. My friend had a cheap
power supply and when it when it took out everything but the hard drive. Buy
a nice name brand PS that will have over voltage protection.

Old June 6th 09, 07:11 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Timelord

Thanks everyone for all the info. I have replaced the PSU now and the PC
works as normal.

Phil.

Old June 9th 09, 12:24 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Barry Watzman

Usually, a failed power supply will not damage any other components.
There are exceptions, but the odds are in your favor.