re-setting router

Old April 17th 09, 11:56 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
MZB

Default re-setting router

OK-- I just got my new Acer netbook. It's very nice.

Now, I have another problem.

I have a desktop in the basement with a Linksys Router and my regular
notebook upstairs.

Unfortunately, I no longer have the password for my router (long story -- it
got lost when I moved 3 years ago). So, I want to add my new netbook to my
network and have internet access. But the security settings will not allow
that.

I assume I will somehow have to hit the reset button to restore the Linksys
to its factory settings. Beyond that, I don't remember how to reset the
security settings that will now allow my netbook and notebook access. I'm
probably going to have one of my IT guys from work come over and do it (I'll
pay him, of course), unless someone here has some other better suggestions.

Mel

Old April 18th 09, 06:14 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

what model router is it?
what type of internet connection do you have?
if you have cable then you can press and hold the reset button on the
linksys router to return the router to its factory default settings,
complete with login username of 'admin' and password of 'admin'. if you
have dsl then you have to know your login information for the dsl service or
you will be out of business after you reset the router and blow away this
stored information... then to reconfigure the router you simply point your
internet browser to 192.168.1.1 and logon with username and password
(above), change the password for the router so other people can't log in,
change the wireless ssid to something that you like, and change the wireless
security by selecting a security type ans entering a password. note the
hexidecimal version of the wireless password as you may need to use it to
log on wireless from a laptop. once loged on from the laptop the laptop
will store the password and it will not need to be typed again. then write
down all of these settings, 192.168.1.1 to get reouter control panel page,
username/password, ssid, wireless password, and if you have dsl the dsl name
and password that has to be entered into the router.... linksys tech support
can talk you through it if you call them up on the phone.

Old April 18th 09, 12:47 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
vbDavidC[_2_]

Mel,

Everything Christopher mentioned was on target.

I am not sure your computer level but here is some basic info related
to security.

I would suggest also that you use a password that you possibly can
remember but not a 'dictionary word'. A lot of people are somewhat
careless about their passwords. Besides router passwords I also
referring to passwords for email access, online banking and other
passwords you would use on the internet. A lot of people that get
their accounts hacked into have some responsibility in this happening
so be careful. You can use a mnemonic something like Mary had a
little lamb you could make a password like Mhall or M4811. You can
use numbers or symbols to approximate a letter but just something to
make it harder to break. My wife hates my 8 character mishmash
password but it keeps me safe.

After you reset the router you may not have any security setup and it
may be an unsecured wireless. I am not sure how worried you are about
others connecting to your router but there are people that are
wandering around looking for unsecured wireless networks they can
exploit.
Old April 18th 09, 04:22 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
William R. Walsh[_2_]

Hold down the reset button for a while, at least 30 seconds ought to
do it.

This will blow away all of the settings, and restore the unit to the
way it was when you unboxed it. You can then go back in and
reconfigure it.

Be sure to set at least two things:

1. Some type of wireless security mode (unless you really don't care,
and can accept the possibility that someone might come along and abuse
your wireless network to do bad things on the 'net). WEP has been
broken, WPA and WPA2 are still secure if properly set up and your
equipment supports it. Use a WPA or WPA2 key consisting of random
characters, of which there should be at least 30.

2. Set an administrator password on the router. This is the password
you use to sign in to its built in web pages and configure it. Doing
this keeps anyone from messing around with your router if you do let
them on your network.

William
Old April 18th 09, 11:24 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Kevin Childers

t...

"MZB" wrote in message
[...]

As I recall you have to hold the reset button in for several second. But
why take my word for it, try looking he
http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/support
or
http://www3.nohold.net/noHoldCust56/...s.html?alt1=us

Old April 18th 09, 11:44 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

"MZB" wrote in message
[...]

yes, as i said, press and hold the reset button. you know it is reset once
all the lights on the front of the router lite simultaneously.
but it would be a mistake to do this before you consider your type of
internet connection - if it is the type that typically require a logon, such
as most residential dsl services, then you will also reset the stored dsl
username/password and no longer be on the internet unti lyou restore them.
so it is best ot make sure you know that username/password combination
before proceeding. no sense in having a laptop than can connect to a router
that can not conenct to the internet...

Old April 19th 09, 05:20 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
MZB

Default re-setting router--MORE QUESTIONS...SIGH

Thanks for your advice on re-setting my router.

I was all set to follow your instructions, but I figured I would still
peruse the manual for my Linksys WRT54G router.

So, I am now confused again. If all I need to do is follow you're the
instructions mentioned in the thread and ignore everything else, I'm fine.
But from reading the manual, I have the following specific questions::

1) It says on the basic set-up screen, enter settings provided by my ISP. Do
you know what that is? Is it something I can just get from my computer? eg:
would it be the subnet mask and stuff that I can get via ipconfig/all? If
so, I will print that out before resetting the router. (I will not see that
specific screen until I reset my router!) Or will it just default to what I
need? My ISP is Charter. I would rather not have to play phone tag trying to
contact them. I'd rather try and get the information from my computer
settings!

2) Do I need to change the starting IP address. The manual says "because the
Router's default IP address is 192.168.1.1, the starting IP address must be
192.168.1.2 or greater, but smaller than 192.167.1.253. The default starting
IP address is 192.168.1.100. Does this mean I can't just go with the
default?

3) They talk about the MAC address clone. Do I need to mess around with
that?

4) Advanced Routing - do I have to do anything with that

5) The Wireless Tab - Basic Wireless Settings. Is this where I put in the
SSID name? Also, do I ENABLE or DISABLE the broadcast of my router's SSID. I
seem to vaguely recall that one worked better than the other. With one
setting it took my laptop a long time each time to find the connection. The
other was instant. Does this make any sense? Finally, they talk about
selecting the wireless channel to correspond with my network settings. What
is that?

6) Should I filter via MAC addresses.? If so, I assume I just enter the MAC
address for each of my two laptops? Where is my MAC address (or is it the
same as the Physical Address that I get via ipconfig/all)?

Old April 19th 09, 06:53 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

See below

Posted At: Sunday, April 19, 2009 11:21 AM
Posted To: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Conversation: re-setting router--MORE QUESTIONS...SIGH
Subject: re-setting router--MORE QUESTIONS...SIGH

[...]

If you're using cable, change nothing. If you're using DSL, you'll need
signon information (userid/password) from your provider.

2) Do I need to change the starting IP address. The manual says
"because the
Router's default IP address is 192.168.1.1, the starting IP address
must be
192.168.1.2 or greater, but smaller than 192.167.1.253. The default
starting
IP address is 192.168.1.100. Does this mean I can't just go with the
default?

Default is fine.

3) They talk about the MAC address clone. Do I need to mess around

with
that?

No. Leave it alone.

4) Advanced Routing - do I have to do anything with that

No.

5) The Wireless Tab - Basic Wireless Settings. Is this where I put in
the
SSID name? Also, do I ENABLE or DISABLE the broadcast of my router's
SSID. I
seem to vaguely recall that one worked better than the other. With one
setting it took my laptop a long time each time to find the

connection.
The
other was instant. Does this make any sense? Finally, they talk about
selecting the wireless channel to correspond with my network settings.
What
is that?

Yes, set an SSID there. If you don't broadcast, it is marginally more
secure, but you have to key it on the laptop.

6) Should I filter via MAC addresses.? If so, I assume I just enter

the
MAC
address for each of my two laptops? Where is my MAC address (or is it
the
same as the Physical Address that I get via ipconfig/all)?

That's where you get it. It will look something like 00:00..... or
00-00. Forget how many.

Mac filtering is good security.

Old April 19th 09, 10:14 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

"MZB" wrote in message
[...]

linksys perfers to have you install their 'wizard' software on your pc or
use the wizard built into the newer routers.
i find this software to be worthless, to actually provide negitive value.
if charter is a cable company then it is likely that there is nothing to set
up in the router to get it to go online (on the internet), in other words,
after restting the router, the default router settings will allow you to get
online wihtout any intervention on your part. so if charter is a cable
company then go ahead and reset the router, and then reboot your pc
(desktop) and then test that you can still surf the internet.
if you want to make configuration changes then open your browser and direct
it to 192.168.1.1 (by typing that number into the box where you would type
www.dell.com or some other address). then you will be faced with a logon
prompt. the default username is 'admin' and the default password is
'admin'.
if a wizard comes up you can follow the prompt, or you can just say you want
to configure it manually. either way, all you want to do is:
-change the default password for the router
-change the wireless 'ssid', the name broadcasted by your wireless router
for other wireless devices to distinguish it from other wireless networks in
the area
-change the wireless security by selecting wpa or wpa2 if your router has
it, and entering a password (again, make note of the hexidecimal code
generated by the password as you may need to use the hexidecimal version of
the password to log on wirelessly for the first time).
-be sure to click the 'apply' button on the bottom of each page on the
linksys after you make changes, otherwise they won't be saved.

Old April 20th 09, 11:14 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
William R. Walsh

Hi!

1) It says on the basic set-up screen, enter settings provided by my
ISP. Do you know what that is?

This usually applies to DSL customers and business class accounts. If you
don't fall into those categories, you're probably good. Some ISPs give you a
permanent IP address or expect you to enter a certain host name. But most
will be fine without your having to do anything special.

Is it something I can just get from my computer? eg: would it be the
subnet mask and stuff that I can get via ipconfig/all?

Probably not. The information you get from that screen will be appropriate
for the internal side of your network (the stuff "behind" the router) and
was probably automatically handed out by it.

2) Do I need to change the starting IP address. The manual says "because
the Router's default IP address is 192.168.1.1, the starting IP address
must be 192.168.1.2 or greater, but smaller than 192.167.1.253.

This refers to the difference between internal and external numbering.
Unless your connection device (cable or DSL modem) is also a router, I don't
think you will have any problems here. You can be at least somewhat sure
whether or not this is the case by visiting a site like www.whatismyip.com.

3) They talk about the MAC address clone. Do I need to mess around
with that?

Maybe. It depends upon whether or not this router was present when you first
set up this connection to the Internet. A MAC address is the "permanent"
address that is 'burned' into any network device when it is manufactured.
Some ISPs use this to keep unauthorized systems off of their networks, by
recording whatever MAC address shows up when you first connect everything
and get started. Others don't care so much as long as you power cycle the
device that brings the Internet to you (such as a cable modem) after
connecting a different piece of equipment to it.

If the router was there and in use when you set up your connection, you
don't need to use MAC address clone for anything.

If the router was not there, and your computer was plugged directly into the
cable modem, you might. If you do, you will have to use this function from
the computer that you first used when setting up the service.

Or you can always try it and see. Nobody is going to break down your door if
you do, the worst that can happen is that it won't work--or you will be
challenged for information pertaining to your account with Charter.

4) Advanced Routing - do I have to do anything with that

Nope.

5) The Wireless Tab - Basic Wireless Settings. Is this where I put in
the SSID name? Also, do I ENABLE or DISABLE the broadcast of my
router's SSID.

Yes, and enable the SSID. You can disable it, but that only makes the
network a little harder to find by anyone who is looking. This is why your
computer once took longer to find the network.

Finally, they talk about selecting the wireless channel to correspond with
my network settings. What is that?

802.11 wireless is provided with a radio module that can choose from several
possible frequencies to operate on. You should pick a frequency that isn't
in use in your area. (Hint: Channel #6 is the default for a lot of
equipment, so you probably don't want it. Only a few of the frequencies are
truly independent of one another. 12, 13 and 14 (if you can select them) are
only for use outside of the US and may not work with your other equipment.

6) Should I filter via MAC addresses.? If so, I assume I just enter the
MAC address for each of my two laptops?

No, because this can be "spoofed" by other computers that you don't want on
your network. Even with encryption ("wireless security") turned on, MAC
addresses are transmitted in the clear so that anyone could see them.

Where is my MAC address (or is it the same as the Physical Address
that I get via ipconfig/all)?

The MAC address is shown as "physical address" in Windows. Make sure you
pick the right adapter--computers with wireless networking usually also have
a wired adapter, and the two are different. Therefore they have different
MAC addresses.

When you've done all this, enable some kind of wireless security. Use WPA at
the least, and pick a good key (greater than 30 characters, and not made up
of entirely of words--mix it up with numbers and some basic symbols). If
your gear can handle it, use WPA2.

And then, when you're all done, write down or print out the configuration
information for your router, *including the password* to access the
administration web pages. Put these in a secure location!

William