Phenom II 940

Old January 12th 09, 08:16 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
-Charlie

Default Phenom II 940

Anyone know if this CPU will work with my GA-M57SLI-S4 Rev 2 ?

I'm thinking that this would be a good upgrade from my X2-6000+
Old January 13th 09, 08:36 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
JK

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 12:16:36 -0800, "-Charlie"
wrote:

Anyone know if this CPU will work with my GA-M57SLI-S4 Rev 2 ?

I'm thinking that this would be a good upgrade from my X2-6000+

I suppose not:
http://www.giga-byte.com/Products/Mo...ProductID=2513

The power draw of that Phenom is substantial (125 Watt). Would it be a
better idea with 9350E ? it's fully supported either.
In May they will come with a 45 watt quad at 2.5 GHz on AM3.

best regards

John
Old January 13th 09, 10:23 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
pokey man

IF your board is an AM2+ AND you have a 790FX or GX AND you have the 700 (ie
750) series southbridge
AND your web site has a bios update for your board it should work. it is a
dropin replacement for boards that support 125/140 watt
processors

good luck

Pokeyman

Old January 13th 09, 10:35 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
pokey man

off gigabyte site

*Note: If you install AMD AM2+ CPU on AM2 motherbord, the system bus speed
will downgrade from HT3.0(5200MHz) to HT1.0(2000 MT/s) spec; however, the
frequency of AM2+ CPU will not be impacted. Please refer "CPU Support List"
for more information.

and I looked at your specs and I think you could since your board supports
125 watt Phenoms, though why you would want to put a High Performance
Processor in a low peformance mother board.... like putting a dragster moter
in a chevette and cutting the air and fuel to it so it dont go so fast...

Pokeyman

Old January 13th 09, 06:48 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
-Charlie

Thanks for the responses jk and pokey man. Think I'll wait
for the AM3 version and look to upgrade motherboard
and proc at the same time.

Thanks for the advice

Old January 20th 09, 10:21 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
-Charlie

The memory will only run at 800mhz but heck for a bios upgrade,
$235 and free shipping from egghead, I ordered one. I already did
the bios upgrade to FHD. Guess I'll see

Motherboard Model GA-M57SLI-S4(rev. 2.0)
PCB 2.0
Vender Model Frequency L2 Cache L3 Cache Core Name Process Stepping
Wattage System
Bus(MHz) 2000
AMD Phenom II X4 940 3000Mhz 512KBx4 6MB Deneb 45nm C2 125W 3600 FHD

Old January 21st 09, 09:32 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
pokey man

"pokey man" wrote in message
off gigabyte site

*Note: If you install AMD AM2+ CPU on AM2 motherbord, the system bus

speed
will downgrade from HT3.0(5200MHz) to HT1.0(2000 MT/s) spec; however,

the
frequency of AM2+ CPU will not be impacted. Please refer "CPU Support
List"
for more information.

and I looked at your specs and I think you could since your board

supports
125 watt Phenoms, though why you would want to put a High Performance
Processor in a low peformance mother board.... like putting a dragster
moter
in a chevette and cutting the air and fuel to it so it dont go so

fast...

Pokeyman

let us know how things work out.... 800mhz? that must be the kind of memory
you already had.. hee hee put a jet engine on a piper cub and hold the
throttle back and hope the wings dont come off LOL

Pokeyman

Old January 27th 09, 09:05 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
-Charlie

"pokey man" wrote in message
[...]

I Received my 940 yesterday. The CPU swap was a piece of cake. The heat
sink
that came with the new Phenom II chip was exactly the same as the one that
had come
with my old 6000+x2 CPU.
I did figure out how to go into the advanced bios mode using ctr-F1 and set
the memory
speed to 533/1066.
I have been using the system all day and it seems very solid ! the CPU
temp stays
around 35 Celsius.

I'm very happy with the upgrade thanks AMD and Gigabyte !

Old January 28th 09, 02:40 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
pokey man

"-Charlie" wrote in message

"pokey man" wrote in message
[...]

AWESOME dude!

Pokeyman (envy green)

Old February 15th 09, 02:38 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Roger (K8RI)

wrote:

Anyone know if this CPU will work with my GA-M57SLI-S4 Rev 2 ?

I'm thinking that this would be a good upgrade from my X2-6000+

I suppose not:
http://www.giga-byte.com/Products/Mo...ProductID=2513

The power draw of that Phenom is substantial (125 Watt). Would it be a

The power load may be substantial under load. I'm running a 940 (3
Gig) on the GA-MA790GP-DS4H. Under load the 940 runs in the 30 degree
range with the stock cooler. Zalman takes it to upper 20's. Not a
lot above ambient. (Just warm to touch)

I have a 9950 (2.6 Gig) also on a GA-MA790GP-DS4H in here. It too
runs quite cool. Both are noticeably faster than my X2-6000.

OTOH running an ATI 3870X2 1 Gig video card with the 940, even if the
940 draws 140 watts under load it's dwarfed by the 3870.

However I would add that both the 940 and the 9950 run far cooler than
any previous AMD CPU I've used.

better idea with 9350E ? it's fully supported either.
In May they will come with a 45 watt quad at 2.5 GHz on AM3.

The AM3, as I understand it is for the 3 core CPUs.
IOW the AM2+ and AMD will run both the 3 and 4 core CPUs.

best regards

John