Compaq Presario Repair?

Old January 29th 08, 02:17 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Searcher7

Default Compaq Presario Repair?

I picked up a Compaq Presario 1200 Laptop that someone threw out.

http://www.amazon.com/Compaq-Presari.../dp/B00005O03A

It seems to work ok, except that there are stationary horizontal lines
going across the screen. I was told that possibly some of the wiring
that connects to the LCD rows on the screen have become damaged.(I'll
send pics if anyone wants to see).

The question is if something like this is worth repairing.Would
getting another screen help, or perhaps I can get the wiring out of
another dead laptop.

Any advice on how to proceed would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
Old January 29th 08, 01:16 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
- Bobb -

"Searcher7" wrote in message
I picked up a Compaq Presario 1200 Laptop that someone threw out.

http://www.amazon.com/Compaq-Presari.../dp/B00005O03A

It seems to work ok, except that there are stationary horizontal lines
going across the screen. I was told that possibly some of the wiring
that connects to the LCD rows on the screen have become damaged.(I'll
send pics if anyone wants to see).

The question is if something like this is worth repairing.Would
getting another screen help, or perhaps I can get the wiring out of
another dead laptop.

Any advice on how to proceed would be appreciated.

First try squeezing around the edges of the LCD to see if maybe just "bad
connection" internally. If it DOES change, remove the covers of the screen
and then you'll see a "cable" plugged into a slit. It's really not a
'cable' it's more like 2 pieces of scotch tape stuck together with flat
conductors sandwiched between. Remove the cable ( just tug a bit) and
then get a pencil eraser and clean the contacts on the cable. Slip it back
in and reassemble. Good luck.
If no change when you squeeze the sides - go with the replacement screen.
If you can get another one, just swap the entire screen ( at the hinge)
since you can't really 'repair' the wiring/cabling inside the screen.

Old January 30th 08, 01:45 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Postman delivers

http://www.amazon.com/Compaq-Presari...Hz-Pentium/dp/

[...]

Bobb,

There is an inverter I believe, can these be replaced?

JR the postman
Old January 30th 08, 03:04 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,comp.sys.laptops
- Bobb -

"Searcher7" wrote in message
[...]

I think if he's asking about "stationary horizontal lines going across the
screen" isolating a failing component has a pretty slim chance even if
available. I figured if he found a cheap replacement, just swap it out.
FIRST try the external monitor - same thing there ??