bios update?

Old January 4th 08, 11:07 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
etheesdad

Default bios update?

Hi

I want to install some ram in a friend's machine

I ran belarc advisor which produces the following
compaq pc g00bdbdc
board: compaq 0708h
bios: compaq 786k3

I am wanting to find a bios update. the machine is not a bios but the
guy who built it can't remember what board he put into it, hence the
use of belarc to do the id-ing. Can anyone help me find a bios
update? Ive tried various google combinations but nothing coming up.

Thankyou for any contributions
Old January 5th 08, 03:29 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Ben Myers

Compaq/HP rarely issue BIOS updates unless to correct a really serious error.
The info from Belarc is meaningless to me.

But why a BIOS update to install some RAM? It is normally not needed, provided
the RAM meets the technical specifications of the motherboard... Ben Myers

Old January 5th 08, 01:55 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
etheesdad

On Jan 5, 8:07 am, etheesdad wrote:
Hi

I want to install some ram in a friend's machine

I ran belarc advisor which produces the following
compaq pc g00bdbdc
board: compaq 0708h
bios: compaq 786k3

I am wanting to find a bios update. the machine is not a bios but the
guy who built it can't remember what board he put into it, hence the
use of belarc to do the id-ing. Can anyone help me find a bios
update? Ive tried various google combinations but nothing coming up.

Thankyou for any contributions

thanks Ben, very much for your reply.

I was advised that this may be necessary because the ram is 'new'. I
managed to install it today without the bios update with no problem.
Happy ending after all.

Old January 5th 08, 04:12 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Ben Myers

Makes sense. Adding memory or making other hardware changes (new video card,
new hard drive, etc) very seldom requires a BIOS update, unless the BIOS update
corrects a limitation preventing the new hardware install. Glad it worked OK
for you... Ben Myers