Any reason to NOT get a use Proliant DL580?

Old October 26th 07, 10:42 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Rick F

Default Any reason to NOT get a use Proliant DL580?

Someone locally is selling a used DL580 for $80.. It's populated w/
2Gb of RAM, and two 900Mhz Xeon processors.. The only thing I don't
know about yet is what generation machine it is.. Anyway, assuming
there are no huge differences between generations, is there anything
special I should know about these and anything in particular I should
be looking for? I gather it may consume more power than my current
6400r does (~$40/mo) since it's got more fans (the 580 that is).. I
believe I saw some notes from Jez (?) about modifying the fans to run
at partial speeds until a certain temp was achieved in an effort to
reduce power consumption.. Might be a good thing to look into..

Thx!

Old October 28th 07, 08:53 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Jez T

900Mhz = DL580 G1.

Don't hold your breath on a reduction in power consumption. Rather, work out
how much it will cost you to run over the lifetime of the server and compare
that against the cost of the alternatives.

I run a home-built PC at home for all the server stuff I need...

ups.com...

Old October 29th 07, 11:25 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Rick F

On Oct 28, 12:53 am, "Jez T"
wrote:
900Mhz = DL580 G1.

Don't hold your breath on a reduction in power consumption. Rather, work out
how much it will cost you to run over the lifetime of the server and compare
that against the cost of the alternatives.

I run a home-built PC at home for all the server stuff I need...

Thanks Jez.. I think I'll probably pass on this one and opt for a
faster machine
if one comes along so the increase in cpu performance will be larger.
One reason
I really love the Proliant's is how rock-solid they are.. I get almost
no downtime
with these machines -- they really are rock-solid!

Old October 30th 07, 03:30 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Phil[_9_]

"Rick F" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Oct 28, 12:53 am, "Jez T"
wrote:
900Mhz = DL580 G1.

Don't hold your breath on a reduction in power consumption. Rather, work

out
how much it will cost you to run over the lifetime of the server and

compare
that against the cost of the alternatives.

I run a home-built PC at home for all the server stuff I need...

Thanks Jez.. I think I'll probably pass on this one and opt for a
faster machine
if one comes along so the increase in cpu performance will be larger.
One reason
I really love the Proliant's is how rock-solid they are.. I get almost
no downtime
with these machines -- they really are rock-solid!

Rick,
The DL580 is a light-year past the 6400. The 6400 has the fans screaming
full blast, the 580 when you load the software drivers has proportional fan
control, varies based on temperature.
It's just a more advanced machine. We still have a bunch that haven't been
retired yet, all Quad 900. It's not a 3 gig machine but it gives us a level
of reliability that you don't get with the new ones. We have had 0 failures
in the 580's
Phil.

Old November 1st 07, 07:07 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Will

"Rick F" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Oct 28, 12:53 am, "Jez T"
wrote:
900Mhz = DL580 G1.

Don't hold your breath on a reduction in power consumption. Rather, work

out
how much it will cost you to run over the lifetime of the server and

compare
that against the cost of the alternatives.

I run a home-built PC at home for all the server stuff I need...

Thanks Jez.. I think I'll probably pass on this one and opt for a
faster machine
if one comes along so the increase in cpu performance will be larger.
One reason
I really love the Proliant's is how rock-solid they are.. I get almost
no downtime
with these machines -- they really are rock-solid!

If cost is a primary issue for you, seriously consider the DL385 G2. With
two dual cores you have plenty of processing, and the G2 generation has a
variation (sorry I forget the part number) that is an energy saving version.
The energy savings were pretty substantial and you would probably get back
half the cost of the computer in three years on your energy bill.

Also definitely consider getting this in the 2.5" SAS drive format. SAS is
just fantastic technology. You can fit either 8 or 10 2.5" SAS drives in
the DL385 G2, and in our experience SAS is much faster, much more reliable,
much quieter, and MUCH less energy intensive than SCSI.

--
Will

Old November 2nd 07, 07:41 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Rick F

On Nov 1, 11:07 am, "Will" wrote:
"Rick F" wrote in message

ps.com...

On Oct 28, 12:53 am, "Jez T"
wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the info guys..

DVD for DL580? Will Compaq Servers 2 March 23rd 07 04:34 PM
Loud compaq Proliant DL580 (gen1) El Bandito Compaq Computers 5 May 15th 06 07:12 AM
Loud compaq Proliant DL580 (gen1) Jez T Compaq Servers 1 May 15th 06 06:25 AM
Compaq Proliant DL580 sounding like a Boeing 747 at take-off El Bandito Compaq Computers 4 April 8th 06 01:54 AM
Proliant DL580 Ghost and DAT 72 drives Scumbag Adie Compaq Servers 1 February 28th 04 07:04 AM