Anyone has a SmartStart 6.40 CD to laying around?

Old April 15th 07, 01:40 AM posted to comp.sys.hp.hardware,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Jez T

Default Anyone has a SmartStart 6.40 CD to laying around?

"Benjamin Gawert" wrote in message
* Jez T:

Errm... For a ML530 G1, you need Smart Start 5.50, which you can still
download.

I know that. But that doesn't help me.

I don't see why that should not recognise an SA6400

It doesn't, especially since HP added support for the SA6400 with 6.40.
5.50 even doesn't see the controller. That's why I need this release.

Gimme a pointer to the HP Webpage where it says this. If you're right, there
will be one. I think you're confusing PSPs (Proliant Support Pack) with
SmartStart.

The Revision History on the PSP does state for version 6.40:
"HP ProLiant Array Configuration Utility for Windows:
Added support for the following: Smart Array 6400 EM Controller."

If I'm right, that implies that the SA6400 is not an option on the ML530,
and therefore is not officially supported.

Alternatively, you should be able to do a manual install without any
problems. The SA6400 can be configured from its own BIOS. F8 or F9?,

It's F8.

OK - You use this INSTEAD of ACU through SmartStart.
Make sure all your firmware is 100% up to date first...

and Windows (2003)should recognise it without needing an extra driver.

So no, you don't need SmartStart 6.40.

Yes I do. Simply because 5.50 doesn't help me with my hardware. Besides
that there still is the risk that an older controller doesn't support the
bunch of 300GB U320 drives or the RAID6 array I want to use. So no,
SmartStart 5.50 doesn't help me.

Hmm. 300k drives in a RAID 6/AGD sounds like looooooooong rebuild times. You
sure a RAID 5 won't do?
And, yes, if you want a RAID 6, update the SA6400 Firmware, and create it
through the F8 option - I would not trust an early version of ACU on 300Gb
disks. Asking for trouble.

Before I make any other assumtioons, what are you trying to do, and what
problem(s) are you encountering?

My problem is

No - I meant let's troubleshoot.

that SmartStart 5.50 is simply too old and doesn't support my RAID
controller

What error are you getting from SmartStart 5.50?
Is the RAID already configured?

while SmartStart 7.0 and up doesn't support software deployment with the
ML530 G1

What 'software' are you trying to 'deploy'. I need to know sepcifics.
Are you (for instance) trying to do a "SmartStart assisted install" of
"Windows 2003"?

, and the only release that does both (support SA6400 and software
deployment on the ML530G1) is SmartStart 6.40. And I want to use software
deployment because creating the service partition,

Unless I'm missing something, SmartStart 5.50 is the last version of Smart
Start that created a "System Partition". Therefore, all the system tools
that would go on the system partition would not support hardware and
firmware that's later than that, so you'd have a partition full of tools
that may not work properly.

(but then I haven't found a way to create the service partition without
the SmartStart CD)

I would recommend that:
- You configure the RAID from the SA6400 BIOS.
- Then try to install the System Partition from SmartStart 5.50
- Then do a MANUAL install of Windows from the Windows CD.

but it's much more troublefree with the SmartStart CD. And the service
partition id definitely something that I want to have, especially on a
machine without a BIOS setup routine in it's ROM like it's the case with
the ML530.

Problem is basically that you're using 2 different generations of hardware -
they were never designed to work properly together.
But being Proliant kit, it will work. However if you get problems, you may
find you've got an unsupported configuration, and have trouble getting
support or parts for it.
A 5 year old server with new disks is a bit of a botch (I think the
backplane is WU-3...). I tend to work in environment where such a thing is
not even remotely conceivable, but I suppose if you have to do it...

And make sure ALL the firmware is uptodate - that can be critical for the
300Gb HDDs.

Old April 15th 07, 04:34 PM posted to comp.sys.hp.hardware,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Nut Cracker

its on the HP site ...

do a search on:

smartstart 6.40 iso download

- LC

Old April 17th 07, 12:19 PM posted to comp.sys.hp.hardware,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Benjamin Gawert

* Jez T:

Gimme a pointer to the HP Webpage where it says this. If you're
right, there will be one.

Sorry, don't have it anymore (didn't bookmark it). I just found it while
digging around for a solution.

I think you're confusing PSPs (Proliant Support Pack) with
SmartStart.

The Revision History on the PSP does state for version 6.40: "HP
ProLiant Array Configuration Utility for Windows: Added support for
the following: Smart Array 6400 EM Controller."

If I'm right, that implies that the SA6400 is not an option on the
ML530, and therefore is not officially supported.

You are right. The SA6400 is much newer than the ML530 G1, the only
Smart Array controllers that are supported in this box are the SA3200
and SA5300.

Alternatively, you should be able to do a manual install without
any problems. The SA6400 can be configured from its own BIOS. F8
or F9?,

It's F8.

OK - You use this INSTEAD of ACU through SmartStart. Make sure all
your firmware is 100% up to date first...

The firmware is up2date (that's the first thing I did), and the array is
already set up. But that's also not the problem I have...

Hmm. 300k drives in a RAID 6/AGD sounds like looooooooong rebuild
times. You sure a RAID 5 won't do?

Yes, atm I want RAID6.

What error are you getting from SmartStart 5.50? Is the RAID already
configured?

The array is already configured through ACU. SmartStart 5.50 doesn't
recognize the SA6400. SA7.0 and later does.

while SmartStart 7.0 and up doesn't support software deployment
with the ML530 G1

What 'software' are you trying to 'deploy'. I need to know sepcifics.
Are you (for instance) trying to do a "SmartStart assisted install"
of "Windows 2003"?

Exactly.

Unless I'm missing something, SmartStart 5.50 is the last version of
Smart Start that created a "System Partition". Therefore, all the
system tools that would go on the system partition would not support
hardware and firmware that's later than that, so you'd have a
partition full of tools that may not work properly.

Well, I don't need the service partition for the array config. But the
ML530 doesn't have a RBSU so there is no way to go into setup without a
service partition (or to start from a diskette if there is a setup tool
on diskette available).

(but then I haven't found a way to create the service partition
without the SmartStart CD)

I would recommend that: - You configure the RAID from the SA6400
BIOS. - Then try to install the System Partition from SmartStart 5.50
- Then do a MANUAL install of Windows from the Windows CD.

5.50 doesn't let me because it doesn't recognise the SA6400 and also no
disks.

Problem is basically that you're using 2 different generations of
hardware - they were never designed to work properly together. But
being Proliant kit, it will work. However if you get problems, you
may find you've got an unsupported configuration, and have trouble
getting support or parts for it.

Support? Hell, a call to HP would probably cost me more than I paid for
the whole server (70EUR without SA6400 and disks) ;-)

A 5 year old server with new disks
is a bit of a botch (I think the backplane is WU-3...). I tend to
work in environment where such a thing is not even remotely
conceivable, but I suppose if you have to do it...

It's for home useage. At work we don't have much machines that are this
old any more. We have masses of HP kits, but at the times of this
ML530G1 we were using the HP Netserver equivalents (LH4 and such) so I
don't have much experience with the "original" Compaq gear. IMHO it's
just stupid that this thing doesn't have a RBSU.

Benjamin
Old April 17th 07, 12:20 PM posted to comp.sys.hp.hardware,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Benjamin Gawert

* Nut Cracker:

its on the HP site ...

do a search on:

smartstart 6.40 iso download

Maybe I'm blind but a search on hp.com with these parameters didn't
reveal any download. Do you have a link?

Benjamin
Old April 17th 07, 04:20 PM posted to comp.sys.hp.hardware,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Nut Cracker

hrm ... i cant seem to locate it either ... I used to have an iso on one of
my FTP servers, but since I stopped giving access to that 2 years ago, it
looks like i deleted it.

I can check elsewhere, but it will take a little while.

- LC

Old April 17th 07, 04:21 PM posted to comp.sys.hp.hardware,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Nut Cracker

At this point, I think your best bet is to get your hands on an SA5300. They
are dirt cheap on ebay these days.

- LC

Old April 17th 07, 04:55 PM posted to comp.sys.hp.hardware,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Benjamin Gawert

* Nut Cracker:

At this point, I think your best bet is to get your hands on an SA5300. They
are dirt cheap on ebay these days.

Well, that depends. Here in Germany they are not that expensive but
usually not really cheap, too. Especially since that would require me to
buy an 5304 and not the much cheaper 5302 because only the 5304 came
with the ADG module as standard (this was an option for the 5302).

Benjamin
Old April 17th 07, 04:56 PM posted to comp.sys.hp.hardware,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Benjamin Gawert

* Nut Cracker:

hrm ... i cant seem to locate it either ... I used to have an iso on one of
my FTP servers, but since I stopped giving access to that 2 years ago, it
looks like i deleted it.

I can check elsewhere, but it will take a little while.

No problem, I probably won't find time to care for the server during the
next week or two.

Benjamin
Old April 17th 07, 06:43 PM posted to comp.sys.hp.hardware,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Nut Cracker

"Benjamin Gawert" wrote in message
* Nut Cracker:

At this point, I think your best bet is to get your hands on an SA5300.
They are dirt cheap on ebay these days.

Well, that depends. Here in Germany they are not that expensive but
usually not really cheap, too. Especially since that would require me to
buy an 5304 and not the much cheaper 5302 because only the 5304 came with
the ADG module as standard (this was an option for the 5302).

Benjamin

I believe all that is required is a certain amount of BBWC (128M, if memory
serves me well).

the 5300 and 5302 are identical. The 5304 simply has an additional 2 port
option to the 5302.

something like this should be doable for you:

http://cgi.ebay.com/LOT-of-2-COMPAQ-...QQcmdZViewItem

- LC

Old April 17th 07, 07:39 PM posted to comp.sys.hp.hardware,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Benjamin Gawert

* Nut Cracker:

Well, that depends. Here in Germany they are not that expensive but
usually not really cheap, too. Especially since that would require me to
buy an 5304 and not the much cheaper 5302 because only the 5304 came with
the ADG module as standard (this was an option for the 5302).

I believe all that is required is a certain amount of BBWC (128M, if memory
serves me well).

No. The SA5300 must also have the RAID6/ADG option which was optional on
the SA5302:

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/10640_div/10640_div.html

So a SA5302 won't do. The same is valid for SA5304 which were sold as
SA5302 originally and upgraded to SA5304 later.

the 5300 and 5302 are identical. The 5304 simply has an additional 2 port
option to the 5302.

something like this should be doable for you:

http://cgi.ebay.com/LOT-of-2-COMPAQ-...QQcmdZViewItem

Well, it's not clear if these controllers have the ADG option (can't see
the ADG module on the photos and the seller doesn't seem to know
anything about these controllers). Then I have to add shipping costs to
Europe (Germany), if I can convince the seller to ship to outside US.
IMHO too much hazzle for untested controllers with questionable
functionality...

Benjamin