Use an internal SCSI cable externally - Is this OK?

Old July 4th 03, 08:39 AM
Webdoc

Default Use an internal SCSI cable externally - Is this OK?

Hi guys quick and simple question -

Can I use an INTERNAL LVD (interleaved) 68 pin cable to connect external
devices?

The connectors fit 8-)

I am using it for 40 MB/s SE speeds - any reasons why I should consider
myself dumb? I never played with external devices so for me this is all new.

I figure there might be intereference... ?

Please advise

Woy

Old July 4th 03, 02:38 PM
John McGaw

"Webdoc" wrote in message
Hi guys quick and simple question -

Can I use an INTERNAL LVD (interleaved) 68 pin cable to connect external
devices?

The connectors fit 8-)

I am using it for 40 MB/s SE speeds - any reasons why I should consider
myself dumb? I never played with external devices so for me this is all

new.

I figure there might be intereference... ?

Please advise

Woy

Using LVD you should have no interference problems if you keep the length
reasonable -- the differential nature of the signalling pretty much takes
care of that for you. I'd be much more worried about static discharge
problems -- you will have no overall heavy grounding conductor between the
computer and the peripheral which the external interface provides. Also the
physical integrity of the connection might be a concern if you have an
accident. That said, I know of systems using the old non-differential SCSI
that had external drives kludged on by sneaking the ribbon cable out through
a crack in the case and which ran that way for years with no problems. In
fact one of them ran with four drives of the SCSI chain sitting on top of
the case bare and unprotected for a long time. (this is what happens when
you are "just testing" something to find out if it works, find that it does,
and are afraid to re-do it for fear of breaking the magic)
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Return address will not work. Please
reply in group or through my website:
http://johnmcgaw.com

Old July 6th 03, 02:40 AM
nope

..snip
(this is what happens when you are "just testing" something to find out if

it works, find that it does,
and are afraid to re-do it for fear of breaking the magic)
--

LOL I thought I ws the only one who did something like that - well I spent
half my day off at the office re-installing software for that reason. Magic,

On the brink of madness... I.C. Koets General 18 January 31st 05 10:49 PM
Updrade PC Guy Smith General 22 August 15th 04 01:57 AM
Connect Internal HDD Externally? John Lindley General 1 June 24th 04 12:29 PM
Timeout Failure during SCSI Inquiry Command Anotherhick General 1 February 15th 04 02:51 PM
cutting psu wires Pen General 4 July 27th 03 07:49 PM