Vista x64 & SATA Drives Not Detected

Old November 27th 06, 07:46 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
[email protected]

Default Vista x64 & SATA Drives Not Detected

First, I apologize if the subject has already been discussed.

I have an ASUS A8N-SLI Premium with 3 ATA drives and 2 SATA drives.

Tried two Vista installs. First by disconnect all the drives except
one of the SATA drives with no success.

On the second attempt I removed the ATA "C-drive" and installed a
fresh ATA. While the install completed successfully it failed to find
the SATA drives. Even looking in the Device Manager proved
unsuccessful.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Old November 28th 06, 09:16 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
[email protected]

Well another attempt at the Vista install. This time Vista recognizes
four of the five disk (3 ATA & 1 SATA) but fails to give access to the
second SATA disk.

However, the Device Manager shows all five disks indicating they are
functioning properly with the current drivers. That's great but what
good is a disk that you can not access?

The quest continues...

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 20:40:28 -0600, Rob

First, I apologize if the subject has already been discussed.

I have an ASUS A8N-SLI Premium with 3 ATA drives and 2 SATA drives.

Tried two Vista installs. First by disconnect all the drives except
one of the SATA drives with no success.

On the second attempt I removed the ATA "C-drive" and installed a
fresh ATA. While the install completed successfully it failed to find
the SATA drives. Even looking in the Device Manager proved
unsuccessful.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Vista, like Win XP, will ask you to hit F6 to install SATA drivers. I
don't know which, if either, of the SATA controllers are natively
supported in Vista. You may need to use the F6 route to get your drives
recognized. You might just try the opposite controller from the one
you've been using and get lucky. Please post back for the rest of us
who may need to switch to Vista later!!
Rob

Old November 28th 06, 09:39 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Roger Hamlett

wrote in message
news
Well another attempt at the Vista install. This time Vista recognizes
four of the five disk (3 ATA & 1 SATA) but fails to give access to the
second SATA disk.

However, the Device Manager shows all five disks indicating they are
functioning properly with the current drivers. That's great but what
good is a disk that you can not access?

The quest continues...

If it is visible in device manager, the question comes - does it have a
partition?.

Best Wishes

Old November 29th 06, 04:03 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
[email protected]

Roger,

Under XP it is a "Simple Dynamic" disk. I'm under the impression
"Dynamic" disks are supported in Vista. The other four drives are
"Basic" with "Partitions".

Thanks

On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 21:39:20 GMT, "Roger Hamlett"
wrote:

news

Old November 29th 06, 05:39 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Mark A

wrote in message
First, I apologize if the subject has already been discussed.

I have an ASUS A8N-SLI Premium with 3 ATA drives and 2 SATA drives.

Tried two Vista installs. First by disconnect all the drives except
one of the SATA drives with no success.

On the second attempt I removed the ATA "C-drive" and installed a
fresh ATA. While the install completed successfully it failed to find
the SATA drives. Even looking in the Device Manager proved
unsuccessful.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Isn't it great that there are people out there who are willing to be on the
bleeding edge to work out all the bugs for us?

I am sure that you will figure this out by the time I upgrade to Vista
(probably 2008).

Old November 29th 06, 10:07 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Roger Hamlett

wrote in message
Roger,

Under XP it is a "Simple Dynamic" disk. I'm under the impression
"Dynamic" disks are supported in Vista. The other four drives are
"Basic" with "Partitions".

Thanks

A 'dynamic' disk, has a partition.
It is just that the partition 'type', is different (and should be
supported), and fills the whole drive.
It should be seen. However (never trust MS), I'd be looking with the Vista
management tools. They are quite capable of having altered the byte
patterns used to flag the partition, between XP, and Vista. The fact that
it is the one disk with a different partition type, that is not seen,
suggests the reason...

Best Wishes

On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 21:39:20 GMT, "Roger Hamlett"
wrote:

news

Old November 29th 06, 12:13 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
[email protected]

I've started to believe the issue may be associated with "Dynamic"
disks. Some dialog has made mention that Vista "Dynamic" disks are
NOT downward compatible with XP. Perhaps they are not upward
compatible as well.

I would prefer to keep the 500 Gb Seagate drive "Dynamic". But
inorder to sort out the problem I may backup its data and restructure
it as "Basic" before I fully commit to Vista.

For now, I continue to switch the "C" drive between XP and Vista
installs with hope of sorting out the issue with an operating system
that may not be ready for Primetime.

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 10:07:13 GMT, "Roger Hamlett"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
Roger,

Under XP it is a "Simple Dynamic" disk. I'm under the impression
"Dynamic" disks are supported in Vista. The other four drives are
"Basic" with "Partitions".

Thanks

A 'dynamic' disk, has a partition.
It is just that the partition 'type', is different (and should be
supported), and fills the whole drive.
It should be seen. However (never trust MS), I'd be looking with the Vista
management tools. They are quite capable of having altered the byte
patterns used to flag the partition, between XP, and Vista. The fact that
it is the one disk with a different partition type, that is not seen,
suggests the reason...

Best Wishes

On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 21:39:20 GMT, "Roger Hamlett"
wrote:

news Well another attempt at the Vista install. This time Vista recognizes

Old November 29th 06, 08:54 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
[email protected]

Another attempt at investigating Vista's weaknesses. This time I
noticed that Vista recognizes the fifth disk in the Device Manager but
fails to see it in Disk Management.

Although navigation appears to be smoother than XP (it should be dual
core and plenty of memory) I'm tired of babysitting Vista's
shortcomings.

I refuse to change a Dynamic disk to a Basic one and test an
alternative to something that should work. So...

for now, I've pulled the Vista disk and set it aside while I reflect
on a solution or with luck someone else mentions a solution that will
work.

One more point, I suspect for the average home user Vista willl have a
steeper learning curve. I would have liked to test a number of legacy
applications to see what other problems Vista has. Based on my early
experiences I have little confidence.

Thanks.

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 12:13:54 GMT, wrote:

I've started to believe the issue may be associated with "Dynamic"
disks. Some dialog has made mention that Vista "Dynamic" disks are
NOT downward compatible with XP. Perhaps they are not upward
compatible as well.

I would prefer to keep the 500 Gb Seagate drive "Dynamic". But
inorder to sort out the problem I may backup its data and restructure
it as "Basic" before I fully commit to Vista.

For now, I continue to switch the "C" drive between XP and Vista
installs with hope of sorting out the issue with an operating system
that may not be ready for Primetime.

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 10:07:13 GMT, "Roger Hamlett"
wrote:

. ..

Old December 1st 06, 01:17 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Ned Buckmaster

Only Vista Business and Ultimate versions know what to do with a dynamic
disk. Home basic and home premium do not.

Ned