Fedora Core 5 on Compaq Proliant 2500

Old June 20th 06, 07:38 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

Default Fedora Core 5 on Compaq Proliant 2500

Vince,

I have 320MB of RAM. In my haste to post the message, I mis-typed.

My actual entry was "linux mem=exactmap mem=640K@0M mem=319M@1M"

Sorry for the confusion. sheepish grin

Steve

VinceV wrote:
Steve,

Do you have 129megs of ram?

You need to tweak your memory allocation line, it should be:
mem=exactmap mem=640k@0m mem=127M@1m

Your current config could cause a problem if it tries to use ram above
128 meg

VinceV

wrote:
OK, Fedora Core and I were at odds this evening. I decided to turn the
tables

1) I ran SmartStart to begin from scratch.
2) I found my old Redhat Linux 9 CDs.
3) I booted to CD #1
4) At the install prompt, (after a couple of mis-steps) I typed "linux
mem=exactmap mem=640k@0m mem=128M@1m"
5) I was pleased to see that no errors came up. The install began and
I did a custom install of RH9.

I must've made 1 mistake however. At the end, the install recommended
I make a boot diskette, which I did. When I restarted, the server
wouldn't boot to the hard disk. When I put the diskette in, it booted
to a prompt. I re-typed "linux mem=exactmap mem=640k@0m mem=128M@1m"
at the prompt, and up it came. I was able to log in as root.

Then I edited my grub.conf file to include the "mem" stuff in the
kernal line.

I have now downloaded apt and am doing an upgrade of RH9. Tomorrow, I
am going to try to figure out why I can't boot to the hard disk. Once
that is resolved, I will begin attempting to upgrade to FC1 and then
work my way up to FC5. There seem to be some good instructions on the
web for that process.

Thabks again for the help!

Steve

Old June 22nd 06, 09:44 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

In article , NewsReader wrote:
wrote:

I ran XWindows last night and it worked great, but when I logged out, I
got an error that the system had crashed out of the interface and it
hung up the system.

Now that I'm on RH9, I ran an apt update/upgrade and d/l 161 updates.
That took nearly an hour, so I went to bed. Tonight I plan to attempt
a kernal upgrade. Then I want to begin the RH9 to FC1 upgrade.

Steve

Compaq video cards usually have modified firmware and have great
difficulty working with the linux provided drivers. I have had to
disable the CPQ integrated video and stuff in a standard display card
to get X working on other systems. I usually use the "text" parameter
when installing linux on a server to avoid having to deal with
windowing programs and CPQ video cards.

A point to consider is: why try to run a CPQ 2500 as a workstation? A
server class machine will run quite nicely at init 3 and there are
quite nice management programs (i.e. webmin, vnc, etc) that can give
you a GUI console without putting additional overhead on the server.

That is effectively what I do.. I've got a 6400 in my garage all racked
up and almost never use the screen or keyboard on it.. 99.9% of any
management activities are remote.. I do use X on it, but use a laptop
running OS-X which has an X-server installed and do a secure-shell over
to the server and fire up apps remotely. It works great, and while I
do have X installed on the server, it's only from a client capacity
which I can live with. Anyway, YMMV!

-- Rick

Old June 25th 06, 12:20 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

It's my goal to be able to manage the server with the command line
only. I use GUI in linux only when I can't figure out the command for
something.

It may be a moot point. I can't get Xwindows, KDE or Gnome to run. X
locks up. The others just error out.

Steve

wrote:

[...]

FS PRINTER PARTS trays fusers drums printheads -- oki fujitsu hp genicom epson ibm dec jetdirect laserjet lexnmark qms okidata ml320 mannesmann tally printonix tektronix qms toshiba zebra otc ibm lexmark intermec dec compaq montreal canada toronto o [email protected] Printers 1 May 29th 05 07:18 PM
FS PRINTER PARTS trays fusers drums printheads -- oki fujitsu hp genicom epson ibm dec jetdirect laserjet lexnmark qms okidata ml320 mannesmann tally printonix tektronix qms toshiba zebra otc ibm lexmark intermec dec compaq montreal canada toronto o [email protected] Printers 2 May 8th 05 09:58 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 November 27th 04 12:50 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 November 20th 04 01:05 PM
Compaq user diagnostics diskette bananaboat Compaq Computers 3 April 21st 04 03:05 AM