What to look for in an empty StorageWorks 4314R enclosure?

Old January 19th 06, 05:41 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

Default What to look for in an empty StorageWorks 4314R enclosure?

Hi.. I'm hoping to pick your brains a little.. I'm looking towards
enhancing my Proliant 6400R to something that has more than 4 drives
and am looking at the 4314R Storageworks enclosure. In looking at
these on Ebay I found that some have Ultra-2 controllers and others
have Ultra3 controllers, some have dual channel U-W Differential SCSI
interfaces, some have dual power supplies.. So, a few questions for
you all that know better than I :

1) For use with my existing SA3200, should I be looking for an Ultra3
interface on one of these to allow use with a SA5300 when I get one
later, and I gather that the enclosure would slow down to U2 speeds
for talking to the SA3200 for now.. Correct?

2) Is there going to be any issue if I don't have a 2nd power supply
(e.g. the Proliant will complain at boot up?)

3) What's an EMU module -- that was listed on most of the items I
read, but not sure what it gets you -- is this something that allows
the Proliant to query the enclosure to find out how it's environment
is (e.g. too hot, power-supply down, etc)?

4) Are LVD drives (like I use in my 6400) the same as UW Differential
or are those different? After reading around on Seagates website,
I'm not 100% sure, but my hunch is that they're the same or at least
compatible with talking to each other.

5) One item on ebay mentioned an Ultra-3 VHDCI interface -- This sounds
like something that might not work with my SA3200 -- correct?

6) Is the difference between the 4214 vs 4314 just the Ultra-2/Ultra-3
interface and nothing else (e.g. you could buy a 4214 and later swap
out the U2 interface for a U3 interface and effectively have a 4314?

7) Most people are not selling any sort of cables for these, do I need
some special Compaq cable to connect between the enclosure and the
Proliant for just the SCSI bus and perhaps another for the EMU?

Many thanks in advance to an enclosure newbie!

-- Rick