NY times article today

Old July 14th 05, 03:02 PM
someone2

Default NY times article today

E.R for hard drives.

I use DR not ER!

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/14/te...html?th&emc=th

The author refers to a 600GB back up hdd - my last info was 500 is the
largest.

I intend to email the hdd mfg's today. I have never heard of a drive mfg
compensating for lost data!
I would appreciate input re compensation from the hdd mfg's for DR.
I know Seagate now recommends Actionfront for DR. But I doubt Seagate pays
for the recovery!

someone2

Old July 14th 05, 03:13 PM
someone2

"someone2" wrote in message
E.R for hard drives.

I use DR not ER!

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/14/te...html?th&emc=th

The author refers to a 600GB back up hdd - my last info was 500 is the
largest.

I intend to email the hdd mfg's today. I have never heard of a drive mfg
compensating for lost data!
I would appreciate input re compensation from the hdd mfg's for DR.
I know Seagate now recommends Actionfront for DR. But I doubt Seagate pays
for the recovery!

someone2

I went back up into the thread - apparently the discussion of a DR by a mfg
is very recent.
As the article I refer to indicates WD paid for a DR they will receive my
first inquiry.

I will update this thread as I receive or fail to receive a response from
each hdd mfg.

someone2

Old July 14th 05, 04:45 PM
Arno Wagner

Previously someone2 wrote:
E.R for hard drives.

I use DR not ER!

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/14/te...html?th&emc=th

The author refers to a 600GB back up hdd - my last info was 500 is the
largest.

I intend to email the hdd mfg's today. I have never heard of a drive mfg
compensating for lost data!
I would appreciate input re compensation from the hdd mfg's for DR.
I know Seagate now recommends Actionfront for DR. But I doubt Seagate pays
for the recovery!

AFAIK no HDD manufacturer pays for DR. However you can get computer
insurance that will pay. Frankly I expect it to be more expensive than
the drive or require you to do frequent backups.

Arno

Old July 14th 05, 04:49 PM
Arno Wagner

Previously Arno Wagner wrote:
Previously someone2 wrote:
E.R for hard drives.

I use DR not ER!

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/14/te...html?th&emc=th

The author refers to a 600GB back up hdd - my last info was 500 is the
largest.

I intend to email the hdd mfg's today. I have never heard of a drive mfg
compensating for lost data!
I would appreciate input re compensation from the hdd mfg's for DR.
I know Seagate now recommends Actionfront for DR. But I doubt Seagate pays
for the recovery!

AFAIK no HDD manufacturer pays for DR. However you can get computer
insurance that will pay. Frankly I expect it to be more expensive than
the drive or require you to do frequent backups.

O.K., after a look at the article, I have a clearer pictu
WD agreed to pay for this single recovery on a purely
voluntarily basis. Why they did I don't know, but there must
have been something in it for them. Maybe good press in the
NYT?

Arno

Old July 14th 05, 05:27 PM
someone2

Previously someone2 wrote:
[...]

I had the same thought - free press release in one of the largest papers in
the world.
But, if WD provides one free DR that is widely publized, what is their
responsibilty re all the other hard drive failures that will occur today?

I have emailed all the leading mfg's this morning, doubt I have more than
one response.

someone2

Old July 14th 05, 05:36 PM
J. Clarke

Previously someone2 wrote:
[...]

Maybe the CEO of WD has a sister who is a Sister?

I find the history on the drives more disturbing--5 out of six drives in a
PowerMac replaced in less than a year. That points out to me either a
broken machine or a serious design problem at Apple.

I suspect that the 600 is a RAID-0 dual-300 sold as a 600--there are
companies that do that, and they seem to target the Mac market.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Old July 14th 05, 07:31 PM
craigm

J. Clarke wrote:

I find the history on the drives more disturbing--5 out of six drives in a
PowerMac replaced in less than a year. That points out to me either a
broken machine or a serious design problem at Apple.

How can a single data point lead you to these conclusions?

There is no useful information presented in the article to indicate
either. The article doesn't even imply that the drives are internal.

Without knowing some significant details about the failures and the
environment the drives are used in, how can you determine there may be
"a serious design problem"?

If the drives are external then they may not even be Apple's design.

I suggest that much more information is needed before you can make a
valid statement about the cause of the failures.

craigm
Old July 14th 05, 08:44 PM
Rod Speed

someone2 wrote

E.R for hard drives.

I use DR not ER!

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/14/te...html?th&emc=th

The author refers to a 600GB back up hdd - my last info was 500 is the
largest.

Likely just another journo's stuffup.

I intend to email the hdd mfg's today. I have never heard of a drive mfg
compensating for lost data!

Yeah, if it happened, there must have been special circumstances.

I doubt it happened myself.

Old July 14th 05, 08:45 PM
Rod Speed

Previously someone2 wrote:
[...]

None, zero, nada, ziltch.

Old July 14th 05, 10:59 PM
Arno Wagner

Previously someone2 wrote:
[...]

None at all?

I have emailed all the leading mfg's this morning, doubt I have more than
one response.

I concur.

Arno