Suggest a replacement board?

Old May 6th 09, 02:16 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
F[_3_]

Default Suggest a replacement board?

My GA-M55S-S3 is failing with blue screens, freezes and corrupted hard
drives.

Anyone wish to suggest a decent replacement?

It doesn't have to be Gigabyte but needs two DVI connections and at
least 4 SATA connections. I would also need to use the same CPU (AMD
dual core 6000+) and RAM as the M55S as I have just replaced these as
part of the fault-finding and don't want to have to buy more.
TIA.

Old May 6th 09, 06:27 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Paul

F wrote:
My GA-M55S-S3 is failing with blue screens, freezes and corrupted hard
drives.

Anyone wish to suggest a decent replacement?

It doesn't have to be Gigabyte but needs two DVI connections and at
least 4 SATA connections. I would also need to use the same CPU (AMD
dual core 6000+) and RAM as the M55S as I have just replaced these as
part of the fault-finding and don't want to have to buy more.
TIA.

Test your RAM first, before throwing away the motherboard.

Install one stick of RAM at a time. Do some tests.

You can do an initial test of RAM with memtest86+ from memtest.org .

Later, you can run Prime95, which is a combined CPU and RAM test.
It should be able to run for at least four hours, without reporting
an error.

http://majorgeeks.com/Prime95_d4363.html

*******

GA-M55S-S3
http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/Products...ame=GA-M55S-S3

Your board has four SATA and two IDE connectors for disks. There
aren't any DVI (video) connectors on the motherboard - they would
be on your video card.

Many motherboards could substitute for the one in question - the
issue would be whether you really need two IDE connectors or not.

If I select two IDE connectors, in the "Advanced" search on Newegg,
there are only eight entries shown. Manufacturers are about to ramp
down IDE disk production, so soon there won't be a reason to support
them. That is why the interface is gradually disappearing.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...Subcategory=22

For example, the MSI K9N2 SLI Platinum has two IDE connectors. One
IDE connector is supported by the Nforce 750a, the other IDE is
connected to a Jmicron JMB363.

The CPU compatibility is here.
http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=pr...at_no=1# menu

If you relax the requirement for IDE connectors for older, ribbon
cable hard drives, then many more motherboards are possible
candidates. For example, there would be more motherboards with
only one IDE connector.

The RAM type, is determined by the processor family supported. That is
because the memory interface is on the processor. So your 6000+ only
supports one kind of RAM - if the motherboard supports your 6000+,
then it should end up with DDR2 RAM slots.

Paul
Old May 6th 09, 08:24 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
F[_3_]

On 06/05/2009 18:27 Paul wrote:

Test your RAM first, before throwing away the motherboard.

The RAM is a brand new replacement for the original.

Your board has four SATA and two IDE connectors for disks. There
aren't any DVI (video) connectors on the motherboard - they would
be on your video card.

They are, but I've seen a few boards like the Asus M3A-H/HDMI with
HD3300 video onboard and was hoping that I might find one that was
suitable. Otherwise I'll just have to reuse the present Radeon Saphire
X1950 Pro.

Many motherboards could substitute for the one in question - the
issue would be whether you really need two IDE connectors or not.

No need for IDE as I've got SATA drives throughout.

The RAM type, is determined by the processor family supported. That is
because the memory interface is on the processor. So your 6000+ only
supports one kind of RAM - if the motherboard supports your 6000+,
then it should end up with DDR2 RAM slots.

OK, that should save some checking.

Thanks for the advice.

Old May 6th 09, 11:36 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Paul

F wrote:
On 06/05/2009 18:27 Paul wrote:

[...]

I would stick with your existing X1950. If you think the problem with
your system, is actually caused by that video card, then you could
get a new motherboard which has video connectors. That way, you could
do a quick test, driving one monitor, that the problem is not
related to the X1950.

One problem with the selection process, for motherboards with built-in
video, is the adverts don't detail what restrictions exist on the
chipset. For example, I had to download the manual for the Asus
M4N78 Pro, to see what combinations of connectors are supported.
This is an example of what you'd find. This particular motherboard
has a DVI connector, an HDMI connector, and a VGA (D-Sub). You can
drive two displays at the same time, using the built-in graphics
on the motherboard. But it doesn't support simultaneous output
of two digital outputs. (You can get adapter dongles, to convert
HDMI to DVI, which is why I was checking this one.)

Dual Display Supported
DVI + D-Sub Yes
HDMI + D-sub Yes
DVI + HDMI No

On some older motherboards, if you see a DVI and HDMI connector,
they can be wired to the same output circuit. In one really cheap
case, there were jumpers on the motherboard, for routing the signals
to either the DVI connector or to the HDMI connector.

I think the basic idea, from the chipset manufacturer point of view,
is they don't want to cut into their video card sales. If the
motherboard was "too capable", the computer might last for its
entire life, without a separately purchased video card.

Anyway, good luck in your search. The hardest part in selecting
an AMD motherboard, is finding one with good reviews. (The reviews
on Newegg, will give you some idea how much trouble each board is.)
If it happens to bear some resemblance to what you wanted, in terms
of features, so much the better.

Paul