single file/driver for fan control

Old September 15th 07, 05:43 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Phil[_9_]

Default single file/driver for fan control

Hello Gang,

Rather than mess with the entire "service pack" for windows, can anyone tell
me what single driver/file to load for the fan control on the older G1
series like DL380.

Many thanks,

Phil

Old September 15th 07, 10:42 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Nut Cracker

its not in the service pack, and there isnt a discreet fan controller for
those servers.

Others have posted messages to this group about how to add a resister that
will slow them down.

- LC

--

.. .

Old September 16th 07, 01:27 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Phil[_9_]

Hello NuT CrAcKeR,
The DL380's and the Few ML370's G1 we have left DO have built in fan
control.
Most of my use of those servers is under Linux and I have all them being
controlled by software.

When I load the "bloated" service pack under windows, both models are under
temperature/fan control (fans change speed as temperature changes). I just
didn't want to load the whole ball of wax support package.

What you are saying now does makes since, at least in regard to my finding
Compaq "fan
control boards" that were referenced in looking for drivers. I don't have,
nor have I
seen such a board but apparently mine doesn't need it. Perhaps I have newer
revisions of the mainboards.

I assure you, mine do change speed with the proper software installed, I
just wanted to isolate the individual driver/s responsible for the control
in windows (linux control I have mastered). I know other facets of the
service pack software are responsible for reporting the various temps both
locally and via the network. I don't need that with this machine.

Phil

"NuT CrAcKeR" wrote in message
t...
its not in the service pack, and there isnt a discreet fan controller for
those servers.

Others have posted messages to this group about how to add a resister that
will slow them down.

- LC

--

.. .

Old September 16th 07, 01:36 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Phil[_9_]

LG,
You have/had a ML370 G1 and you saw yours under fan control I thought..
I "think" the DL380 and ML370 G1's use the same mainboard.
You may be thinking of the 800, 1600, 1850's and other older units. They
have no fan control circuitry.

Phil
"Phil" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

.. .

Old September 19th 07, 04:57 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Jez T

"Phil" wrote in message
. ..
Hello NuT CrAcKeR,
The DL380's and the Few ML370's G1 we have left DO have built in fan
control.

IIRC, it's a bug in the firmware and is fixed in later versions of the
Firmware.

I may be thinking about G2s...

Old September 20th 07, 03:16 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Phil[_9_]

"Jez T" wrote in message

"Phil" wrote in message
. ..
Hello NuT CrAcKeR,
The DL380's and the Few ML370's G1 we have left DO have built in fan
control.

IIRC, it's a bug in the firmware and is fixed in later versions of the
Firmware.

I may be thinking about G2s...

Jez,
I don't fully understand what you are saying.
In my case all my servers are all working fine and the fans are controlled
by the various server temperature readings, both the windoz and Linux boxes,
so I have no problems there.

What I was after was loading a somewhat stripped down windowz server and
only load the sys file/s that controls the fans rather than let the support
pack load all the extra stuff that's not needed in this application. Linux I
have down pat, but windows I was not sure what actual files controlled the
fans.
These servers fans are controlled via the software /drivers and not the
bios.

I think I have isolated the files, just a few k in size but I haven't had
time to get back to it to try.

I think LG just forgot that the DL 380's (G1's) have built in fan control
and was perhaps thinking of the older 1850's that run full speed all the
time.

Phil

Old September 30th 07, 02:53 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
[email protected]

On 20 Sep, 04:16, "Phil" wrote:
"Jez T" wrote in message

"Phil" wrote in message
[...]

Hello

I'm having problems with my ML350 server fan speed. Running at full
speed all the time. I'm running Ubuntu 7.04 and I don't know how to
install the Linux driver or which of them that best suits Ubuntu.
There are drivers for Suse, RH, UnitedLinux and SCO available but
which of them will fit on my Ubuntu dist?

Anyone who has a clue?

Medde

Old September 30th 07, 11:50 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Jez T

wrote

Hello

I'm having problems with my ML350 server fan speed. Running at full
speed all the time. I'm running Ubuntu 7.04 and I don't know how to
install the Linux driver or which of them that best suits Ubuntu.
There are drivers for Suse, RH, UnitedLinux and SCO available but
which of them will fit on my Ubuntu dist?

Anyone who has a clue?

What model ML350?

Noisy servers are quite a common complaint - Only ever happens with the ML
line, never the DL line.

Servers are not designed to be quiet - they're designed for a server room
environment with adequate cooling.

Old October 1st 07, 03:47 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Phil[_9_]

"Jez T" wrote in message

wrote

Hello

I'm having problems with my ML350 server fan speed. Running at full
speed all the time. I'm running Ubuntu 7.04 and I don't know how to
install the Linux driver or which of them that best suits Ubuntu.
There are drivers for Suse, RH, UnitedLinux and SCO available but
which of them will fit on my Ubuntu dist?

Anyone who has a clue?

What model ML350?

Noisy servers are quite a common complaint - Only ever happens with the ML
line, never the DL line.

Servers are not designed to be quiet - they're designed for a server room
environment with adequate cooling.

Hello Jez,
Yes they are all noisy but starting with the DL 380 and ML370 G1's they have
"environmental" control. Seems like that board has 4 or 5 thermal sensors
and the fans have proportional fan speed control. It is controlled by
software rather than in the bios. It does make a huge difference in noise
level when the fans are throttled down. Fact is, a 370 gets about quiet
enough to use in an office environment. It also saves a little electricity.

Answering the other persons question. I use Fedora but I would bet the
drivers I use will work just fine. If you can wait until I get to the
office, perhaps tomorrow evening or Tuesday, I'll give you exact numbers as
well as some notes to simplify install. Save you some time and keep you from
installing wrong files. If I recall the file you want to install has
numerous revisions. Early versions requires installing gobs of other stuff
to make it work. The later files/versions had compatibility problems. What
we use seems to work across the board with no issues on G1, 2 3, and 4. I
can't afford g5's right now!
Phil

Old October 4th 07, 07:12 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
[email protected]

On 1 Okt, 04:47, "Phil" wrote:
"Jez T" wrote in message

[...]

Hello Phil

I'm very interested in your solution for the fan speed control.
I have tested with w2k on the server and then I can control the fans,
but that isn't what I want to use.
Looking forward for your help

Regards

/Per Medin