DL380 G5 - split backplane?

Old March 12th 07, 09:12 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Heimo Hetl

Default DL380 G5 - split backplane?

I have a brand new DL380 G5 with both SATA (factory fit) and SAS
(add-on) controllers. The drive backplane is connected to the controller
with two data cables. How is it wired internally? Can I mix SAS and SATA
on the same backplane, connecting the left part of the backplane to the
SAS and the right part to the SATA controller?

If not: what is the purpose of the two data cables? They can't actually
run into the same bus on the backplane, can they?

cheers
Heimo

--
You never ask questions when God's on your side.
Old March 12th 07, 06:17 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Nut Cracker

"Heimo Hetl" wrote in message
I have a brand new DL380 G5 with both SATA (factory fit) and SAS
(add-on) controllers. The drive backplane is connected to the controller
with two data cables. How is it wired internally? Can I mix SAS and SATA
on the same backplane, connecting the left part of the backplane to the
SAS and the right part to the SATA controller?

If not: what is the purpose of the two data cables? They can't actually
run into the same bus on the backplane, can they?

cheers
Heimo

--
You never ask questions when God's on your side.

Each drive runs on its own channel, so there is no split backplane per-se.
You should be able to mix SATA and SAS drives in the same chassis, but why
would you want to? SATA drives have a 50% duty cycle, and are warrantied for
only a year. There is no good reason to use SATA in any realtime production
capacity, plus it appears that there is a lack of managability with them.

SATA is also limited to 1.5Gb/s while the SAS drives are rated for 3.0Gb/s.
They also outperform U320 by an appreciable margin.

- LC

Old March 12th 07, 11:28 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Jez T

"Heimo Hetl" wrote in message
I have a brand new DL380 G5 with both SATA (factory fit) and SAS
(add-on) controllers. The drive backplane is connected to the controller
with two data cables. How is it wired internally? Can I mix SAS and SATA
on the same backplane, connecting the left part of the backplane to the
SAS and the right part to the SATA controller?

If not: what is the purpose of the two data cables? They can't actually
run into the same bus on the backplane, can they?

SAS = good. SATA = ****e
SAS = server. SATA = PC
SAS = production SATA = test

The only reason for SATA is cost. AND you do not need the performance and
reliability of SCSI (now SAScsi)

I'd expect that the 'add-on' controller is a P400 or a P600. You can still
use both SAS and SATA disks with these (I think), and I reckon that
technically, you can mix them.

From experience, keep to what you're familiar with, set standards and keep
them, and stick to SAS.

Old March 12th 07, 11:50 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Nut Cracker

"Nut Cracker" wrote in message

"Heimo Hetl" wrote in message
[...]

One more thing ... If for some unimaginable reason you chose to run both
SAS and SATA disks in the server, at the same time ... you must use a SAS
controller. SAS can host SAS and SATA drives ... a SATA controller can only
host SATA.

The DL380G5 comes with a P400 (PCIe SAS), no SATA controllers for this
machine.

- LC

Old March 20th 07, 10:15 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Heimo Hetl

Nut Cracker wrote:

Each drive runs on its own channel, so there is no split backplane per-se.

Thanks for clearing this up. (one might point out that in fact, the
backplane is split into 8, making it as split as can be...

Seems like I missed the departure of the SCSI bus.

cheers
heimo

--
You never ask questions when God's on your side.