New Build

Old December 20th 20, 09:19 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
SC Tom

Default New Build - Followup

"SC Tom" wrote in message ...

eternal USB dock. That's probably why it took so long :-(

----EXTERNAL USB dock :-( Although "eternal" describes it well, LOL!
Old December 20th 20, 11:41 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

SC Tom wrote:

"SC Tom" wrote in message ...

eternal USB dock. That's probably why it took so long :-(

----EXTERNAL USB dock :-( Although "eternal" describes it well, LOL!

I think I liked the first one better. The second will never catch on.
"Eternal" makes it sound like you got your moneys worth.

Macrium is capable of resizing the right-most partition. That's
if you try and do the disk in one shot, as intended.

But, Macrium also allows drag and drop (a partition at a time).

You define your source disk.

You define your destination disk.

But then, you click and hold a partition
from the first disk, and place it on the second disk.

Next, click the "Next" button, then the "Back" button.

Highlight the target partition again, and there is a resize
dialog you can use too. You can set the alignment to
legacy MSDOS alignment, or you can set it to Win7+ 1MB
alignment. You can also move the slider and set the size
to bigger or smaller as desired. All the way down to
227GB if you wanted.

Wnat that mode of operation doesn't do, is correct the
boot-ability of the resulting disk. You can use the
Macrium Rescue disc "Boot Repair" item to perform that function
later.

Paul
Old December 21st 20, 02:19 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
SC Tom

"Paul" wrote in message
SC Tom wrote:

"SC Tom" wrote in message ...

[...]

Good to know for future reference when my license expires on PartWiz (I
don't plan on renewing it a year from now).

Thanks for clinic :-)

Old December 21st 20, 03:32 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bill[_41_]

SC Tom wrote:

"SC Tom" wrote in message ...
snip

As suggested by Bill and Larc, I got an SSD (Samsung 860 EVO 1GB) and
replaced my system HDD with it yesterday afternoon. I must admit, the
boot time is pretty impressive, although that's never been a problem for
me- I turn it on, make coffee, and it's all finished booting before I
get back to it. Now, it's almost through booting up before I can get my
robe on and leave the room :-)

Congratulations on your "new system"! You'll probably be able to get at
least two years out of it, if you choose to. Then maybe buy another 1GB
storage device when you upgrade your mainboard (if you need that much
storage). Your "migration" process was outside my experience--I never
tried to do that, since I have always used OEM Windows licenses.
Maybe if the money is burning a hole in your pocket, you can look at new
monitors? : ) 27" seems to be the new norm (mine is "only" 24")-but
I remember when my 19" monitor was "large" (but I think I prefer its
"older-style" proportions).
Old December 21st 20, 11:29 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Sun, 20 Dec 2020 21:32:59 -0500, Bill wrote:

Your "migration" process was outside my experience--I never
tried to do that,

Assuming prior hardware provisions for compatibility are established
and tested, the binary stream is a directly native contingent to what
underlying OS platform supportively will launch the operation.
Operations may be either Linux and Windows based, among other
possibilities of free or commercial establishment. Over a difference
of two Windows OS platforms, instances range from a 90 seconds'
transfer in one, from a marginal imposition of an "expanded" binary
state, to one operationally then functional, and twice that on the
other. Not especially as fast numerically perhaps to suggest,
overall, than for a supportive efficacy that benefits an OS for one
isolated, generally in practise, from all added stipends of data being
unnecessarily placed within it, where in point better to place
elsewhere for OS links to alternative data sets that occur from other
discrete partitions, e.g. conclusively relegated for nonessential
constituents to a subsequent load to impose upon the binary-streaming
OS process.

Mainstream 1T SDDs at present availability, being also adequate to
modest storage considerations may avail to smaller SSDs, yet serving
for an added convenience when adapted individually to OS transfer
manipulations;- Among practises to the adaptable boot-arbitration
framework and, again, certainly within precepts to OS regeneration
processes.
Old December 21st 20, 01:31 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
SC Tom

"Bill" wrote in message
SC Tom wrote:

"SC Tom" wrote in message ...
[...]

Thanks!
Mine is "only" a 24" also, but plenty big for me. If I went any larger, I
have to either get a bigger desk for all my stuff, or mount it high on the
wall to be above my stuff (including my laptop) :-)

Old December 23rd 20, 04:49 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
SC Tom

"SC Tom" wrote in message ...

"SC Tom" wrote in message ...
snip

Pretty decent speeds, especially with Rapid mode enabled :-)

https://postimg.cc/3k0c9fTY

I didn't leave it enabled- seems a bit much for me. Read a few horror
stories online of what could happen if the power goes out (I have a UPS, so
no real problem for me). I just don't need something that could become
flakey.

Old December 23rd 20, 09:05 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

SC Tom wrote:

"SC Tom" wrote in message ...

"SC Tom" wrote in message ...
snip

Pretty decent speeds, especially with Rapid mode enabled :-)

https://postimg.cc/3k0c9fTY

I didn't leave it enabled- seems a bit much for me. Read a few horror
stories online of what could happen if the power goes out (I have a UPS,
so no real problem for me). I just don't need something that could
become flakey.

The power going out case, could affect anyone.

Windows uses a fairly large System Write cache.
A person with an NVMe, the write queue should drain
rapidly. By comparison, HDD are slugs.

My concern is more with HDD. On the other computer,
I could lose as much as 5GB of writes if the power
were to go off. The machine is on a UPS, and I would
be shutting it down manually (as two machines are
connected to the UPS, and only one of them is
auto-shutdown via serial/USB cable). I would have
to wait until the LED had mostly stopped flashing,
to push things by doing a shutdown. As far as I know,
it's smart enough to spend the 50 seconds and write
out the 5GB of stuff, before doing the final shutdown
step.

If I didn't have a UPS, it could potentially be
a mess (unclean shutdown).

I assume on small file transfers, that queue could
be full of small files. The journal can help roll
back any uncommitted fragments. But anything you
thought was copied (copy process completed, dialog
gone), might not be copied.

I don't really think of the System Write cache as
a benefit. An example, is if the destination is a
USB stick that doesn't have a LED. You can't tell
when the writes have stopped... You can check
Task Manager for memory usage, but that's only
a rough guess if you don't know what the
"drained" number should be. The System Write Cache
is booked against RAM, and System Write Cache can
compete with other program usage of RAM. There
is even one scenario on Windows 10, where the
System Write Cache can lock up the computer
(resource conflict).

Paul
Old January 2nd 21, 02:40 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bob F

Default New Build

On 12/17/2020 12:30 PM, Larc wrote:
On Thu, 17 Dec 2020 13:26:25 -0500, "SC Tom" wrote:

| I decided to give an SSD a chance on my current PC (I haven't bought the
| components yet for my "wish" PC). I can't get an NVMe since my current MB
| doesn't have an M.2 slot for it. I ordered a 1GB Samsung 860 EVO. Has good
| reviews, and is plenty big enough to hold everything that's on my HDD.
| I own Acronis True Image- I should be able to clone from one to the other
| with that. Worse comes to worst, I'll just create an image of my HDD, remove
| it, put the SSD in, and restore that image to it. Been there, done that with
| HDD's; can't imagine it being too different with SSD's.
| I also have older free versions of Macrium Reflect and MTPW; I guess I could
| download the newest and make bootable CD/DVD from them (that's how I used my
| old versions, and my newer ATI).

NVMe SSD is much faster than SATA SSD. Samsung 970 EVO Plus sequential read/write
speeds are up to 3500/3300 MBs per second compared to 550/520 MBs for the Samsung 860
EVO.

I haven't had any luck using an image file to transfer a system drive from HDD to
SATA SSD or from SATA SSD to NVMe SSD. Since they are different types of drives,
they seem to need the clone option to deal with those differences.

I've used the free versions of Acronis many times with no problem.

Old January 2nd 21, 02:44 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bob F

On 12/20/2020 7:52 AM, SC Tom wrote:

"SC Tom" wrote in message ...
snip

As suggested by Bill and Larc, I got an SSD (Samsung 860 EVO 1GB) and
replaced my system HDD with it yesterday afternoon. I must admit, the
boot time is pretty impressive, although that's never been a problem for
me- I turn it on, make coffee, and it's all finished booting before I
get back to it. Now, it's almost through booting up before I can get my
robe on and leave the room :-)

Transferring my OS over to the SSD proved to be a little more difficult
than I originally thought. I installed the latest free version of
MiniTool Partition Wizard and saw the "Migrate OS to SSD/HD Wizard" and
figured that would be pretty cool. But when I went to use it, I was
informed that it was only available in the paid (subscription) version.
So I forked over the US$59 and DL'd and installed it. Hooked up my SSD,
started the transfer, and after ~3.5 hours, it was done. Shut down the
PC, disconnected my C: HDD, plugged in the SSD, turned it on, and it
booted right up, no problem . . . until about 3 minutes in. Suddenly,
the dreaded BSOD popped up with a "Attempted switch from DPC" error. OK,
what the hell is this? Did a search from my laptop and found out it
could be most anything from a driver issue to an antivirus issue.
Rebooted and have had no issue since (knock on wood).

The system seems to more responsive now than before. My video editor is
quicker and smoother, so that's a definite plus. The games that I have
that are high-def and huge start up quicker, and the game play is much
more responsive and smoother. So, all in all, I would that installing an
SSD is a definite plus and improvement over my HDD.

side note- I registered my SSD and looked at the Download section and
didn't see much of anything other than Samsung Magician, which seems to
be mainly a maintenance and information app. But, searching later on
through Google, I found out that Samsung has a System Migration app. Of
course, that was after I had already bought Partition Wizard. Could have
accomplished the same results for free if I hadn't been in such a hurry :-(

Thanks for everyone's input. I'll put off buying the new components
until I get tired of this set up :-)

Stepping to NVME makes a similar difference.

Which SFF PC to build? NickD Homebuilt PC's 2 October 25th 06 08:16 PM
SWsoft Acronis Disk Director Suite 9.0 Build 508, Acronis OS Selector 8.0 Build 917, Acronis Partition Expert 2003 Build 292, Acronis Power Utilities 2004 Build 502, F-SECURE.ANTI vIRUS.PROXY v1.10.17.WINALL, F-SECURE.ANTI vIRUS v5.50.10260 for CITRI vvcd Storage (alternative) 3 December 4th 05 12:46 PM
First build Kaz Homebuilt PC's 10 February 6th 04 02:17 PM
Buy a PC or build? Michael Homebuilt PC's 10 January 9th 04 01:41 PM
About to build new PC SteveH Homebuilt PC's 2 September 9th 03 11:00 PM