“Microsoft to end updates to Windows 7’s free AV software, Security Essentials”

Old December 10th 19, 11:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.computer.workshop
David[_29_]

Default “Microsoft to end updates to Windows 7’s free AV software, Security Essentials”

On 10/12/2019 22:33, Paul wrote:
David wrote:
On 10/12/2019 20:54, Shadow wrote:
On Tue, 10 Dec 2019 12:42:26 -0600, Lynn McGuire
wrote:

“Microsoft to end updates to Windows 7’s free AV software, Security
Essentials”

https://www.computerworld.com/articl...ssentials.html

“When support for Windows 7 ends on Jan. 14, Microsoft will also stop
providing new malware signatures for its home-grown Security Essentials
software.”

Ok, this is not good.* Microsoft is playing hardball here.

*** It'll just boost the sale/usage of "compatible with Win 7"
AVs.

I am not impressed with any of the other antivirus products.

*** Kaspersky is usually top in detection. Just ahead of
BitDefender.
*** Plus with Kaspersky you have the option to turn off sending
all your Internet activity/unknown files to headquarters.
*** Even so, I haven't used a resident AV for ages (5 years?)
*** *It's not difficult to avoid malware*.
*** []'s

That's bullsh*t!

If you don't use an anti-virus software programme with Microsoft
Windows (before Windows 10) then you won't ever KNOW that your
computer is free from malware.

If your computer DOES have malware, and you attempt to download the
Kaspersky Rescue Disk from here
https://support.kaspersky.com/viruses/krd18

You may end up being redirected to a 'spoof' Kaspersky site and be
served with a 'doctored' Rescue Disk! You will THINK your machine is
clean when, in fact, it remains infected!

HTH

1) GOTO Public Library.
2) Download Kaspersky.
3) Burn CD.
4) Thank librarian for being there.
** Go home. Scan machine.

This is what friends are for.

Thanks, Pal! :-)

Sadly, I understand that they don't have Libraries in third world
countries like Brazil! ;-)

Btw, do you REALLY trust a Russian company?!!!
Old December 10th 19, 11:44 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.computer.workshop
Paul in Houston TX[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

The key word was "resident".
I have not had any resident AV in 20 years and have never gotten any bad
stuff.

Old December 10th 19, 11:50 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.computer.workshop
David[_29_]

wrote:

[...]

I did note that, Paul.

I have not had any resident AV in 20 years and have never gotten any bad
stuff.

How do you know that to be a fact, Paul?

I'm genuinely interested, because for the last 10 years I've been using
an Apple iMac. Apple computers do not get Viruses and very little other
malware.

TIA

Old December 11th 19, 12:16 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.computer.workshop
Ken Blake[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

That's like saying "I haven't worn a seatbelt in 20 years and have never
gotten hurt in an accident."

--
Ken
Old December 11th 19, 12:47 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.computer.workshop
David[_29_]

wrote:

[...]

Haha! :-D You're a card, Ken!

Old December 11th 19, 01:06 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Paul[_28_]

David wrote:
wrote:

[...]

https://thenextweb.com/la/2011/06/19...-still-matter/

"Cyber cafés in Brazil...

There are around 100,000 in total, reaching an estimated 30-35 million users.
Most of them are located in lower-income communities"

Btw, do you REALLY trust a Russian company?!!!

Virtually all the AV companies use "foreigners".
What are you gonna do ?

Paul
Old December 11th 19, 01:25 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Alek

Alek wrote on 12/10/2019 3:54 PM:
Lynn McGuire wrote on 12/10/2019 1:42 PM:
“Microsoft to end updates to Windows 7’s free AV software, Security
Essentials”

https://www.computerworld.com/articl...ssentials.html

“When support for Windows 7 ends on Jan. 14, Microsoft will also stop
providing new malware signatures for its home-grown Security Essentials
software.”

Ok, this is not good. Microsoft is playing hardball here.

I am not impressed with any of the other antivirus products.

Lynn

"Security Essentials, a free antivirus (AV) program that launched in
2008, was originally limited to consumers. However, in 2010, Microsoft
expanded the licensing to small businesses
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13752/windows-security-essentials-eula,
defined as those with 10 or fewer PCs. Two years after that, *MSE was
replaced by Windows Defender* with the launch of Windows 8."

Don't you have Windows Defender?

blush You did say Windows SEVEN, right?

Old December 11th 19, 01:42 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Shadow[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

It doesn't.

HTH

Not at all.

1) GOTO Public Library.
2) Download Kaspersky.
3) Burn CD.
4) Thank librarian for being there.
Go home. Scan machine.

This is what friends are for.

I "burn" it to a USB with Rufus.Seems to scan a bit faster
than from a DVD. I run it once a week. The download always contains
the latest detections, so I pull the Ethernet plug.
It's never found anything other than a few false positives,
and a small malware collection I have to check it's working.
5 years with no resident AV. No malware active. (well,
Kaspersky does not detect TLA malware and its clones, but that's
another story. No AV does).
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012
Old December 11th 19, 02:05 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.computer.workshop
Shadow[_2_]

On Tue, 10 Dec 2019 16:16:49 -0700, Ken Blake
wrote:

On 12/10/2019 3:44 PM, Paul in Houston TX wrote:

The key word was "resident".
I have not had any resident AV in 20 years and have never gotten any bad
stuff.

That's like saying "I haven't worn a seatbelt in 20 years and have never
gotten hurt in an accident."

Better:

""I haven't worn a seatbelt in 20 years and have never
gotten hurt in an accident., but OTOH I don't use a car".

"I don't use a car" = I don't click on suspicious links, I
don't enable scripting for all but a few sites. I don't execute
programs/installers without a reasonable quarantine in case they are
zero-days, I check firewall logs .... the usual basic safeguards.
And even then, I do a weekly offline USB-booted scan and keep
data backups.
[]'s
Old December 11th 19, 02:05 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-10
😉 Good Guy 😉

On 10/12/2019 18:42, Lynn McGuire wrote:
“Microsoft to end updates to Windows 7’s free AV software, Security
Essentials”

https://www.computerworld.com/a

Link snipped

“When support for Windows 7 ends on Jan. 14, Microsoft will also stop
providing new malware signatures for its home-grown Security
Essentials software.”

Ok, this is not good. Microsoft is playing hardball here.

I am not impressed with any of the other antivirus products.

Lynn

Not sure why this was posted to Windows 10 when it has nothing to do
with it.

Anyway, since you were trolling, you can tell us whether you are
surprised by this decision knowing that Windows 7 support is ending on
20th January 2020. and therefore likely to remain unsecure for a very
long time indeed. This being so, it makes no difference whether they
have any malware protection or not.

If security is very important to them then they should upgrade their
operating system. They can use 8.1 if they can still buy a licence for
it or they can upgrade to Windows 10 free of charge. It is as simple as
that.

--
With over 1.2 billion devices now running Windows 10, customer