FoxConn G33 Equivalent?

Old May 17th 11, 06:04 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
(PeteCresswell)

Default FoxConn G33 Equivalent?

Got this very nice case from a trashed Dell Inspiron 530.

Mobo appears tb out to lunch.

FoxConn G33m02 as in http://tinyurl.com/3tvqe4r

Socket 775/SouthBridge Intel ICH9, 4 slots.

Does anybody know of a GigaByte board that would:

- Accept the CPU from the FoxConn

- Fit in the same case

Tangentially, is there term-of-art for the board I'm looking
for?

Knowing nothing else, I'd say "ATX, 4 slots, Socket 775"....
--
PeteCresswell
Old May 18th 11, 12:49 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Andy

The board is Micro ATX. Identify the Intel CPU that it's using to make
sure that the replacement motherboard can use it.
http://www.ehow.com/list_7515591_fox...fications.html

Old May 18th 11, 02:22 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
(PeteCresswell)

Per Andy:
The board is Micro ATX. Identify the Intel CPU that it's using to make
sure that the replacement motherboard can use it.
http://www.ehow.com/list_7515591_fox...fications.html

Thanks.

"Micro ATX" was the magic word I was searching for.

The CPU's ancestry seems tb in question (viz
http://tinyurl.com/3v8xtr4), it looks like I'll have to buy a new
heat sink too, and also it's not impossible that a defective CPU
was part of the problem this box was trashed.

In that context - and I think I'll just suck it up and buy a new
CPU along with the board.
--
PeteCresswell
Old May 18th 11, 03:30 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Paul

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Andy:
The board is Micro ATX. Identify the Intel CPU that it's using to make
sure that the replacement motherboard can use it.
http://www.ehow.com/list_7515591_fox...fications.html

Thanks.

"Micro ATX" was the magic word I was searching for.

The CPU's ancestry seems tb in question (viz
http://tinyurl.com/3v8xtr4), it looks like I'll have to buy a new
heat sink too, and also it's not impossible that a defective CPU
was part of the problem this box was trashed.

In that context - and I think I'll just suck it up and buy a new
CPU along with the board.

OK, try this. Clean off the thermal paste from the processor.
You can carefully wipe the first bit with a paper towel or Kleenex.
Then, take another cloth and put a bit of isopropyl alcohol on it,
and clean up the residue. Isopropyl is not the correct solvent,
but it won't hurt anything you splash it on. There are much
stronger solvents, but they can damage electronics you splash
them on.

If you want real chemicals for cleanup, you can get a two bottle
kit like this. At least one of these bottles, contains the right
solvent. Isopropyl is just a liquid to push the stuff around with.

Some pre-applied materials are phase change, and are a solid at
room temperature. I've had at least one computer, where I had to
scrape the damn stuff off (which isn't really a good way to do it),
because I couldn't get it off otherwise. Isopropyl didn't help
me that day.

In any case, the objective is to look underneath. This is a picture
of one way to mark a processor. In the center, you can see the SSPEC
code of "SL7PU".

http://cdn.cpu-world.com/Images/uplo...L_00001509.jpg

Don't give up yet :-)

Paul
Old May 18th 11, 08:33 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
(PeteCresswell)

Per Paul:

In any case, the objective is to look underneath. This is a picture
of one way to mark a processor. In the center, you can see the SSPEC
code of "SL7PU".

http://cdn.cpu-world.com/Images/uplo...L_00001509.jpg

Don't give up yet :-)

Bingo: http://tinyurl.com/3zegs6h

Thanks for pointing out what shb obvious.... I saw the first set
of numbers and just assumed.....

Anybody got a take on how ancient/recent this one is?

--
PeteCresswell
Old May 18th 11, 08:35 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
(PeteCresswell)

Per (PeteCresswell):

Anybody got a take on how ancient/recent this one is?

Given that it is discontinued...
http://www.cpu-world.com/sspec/SL/SLA9X.html
--
PeteCresswell
Old May 19th 11, 06:54 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Andy

On Wed, 18 May 2011 15:35:01 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

Per (PeteCresswell):

Anybody got a take on how ancient/recent this one is?

Given that it is discontinued...
http://www.cpu-world.com/sspec/SL/SLA9X.html

The first review at
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=19-115-030&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&Purchase Mark=&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=tr ue&Keywords=%28keywords%29&Page=35#scrollFullInfo
is 7/23/2007.
Old May 19th 11, 06:57 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Paul

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per (PeteCresswell):
Anybody got a take on how ancient/recent this one is?

Given that it is discontinued...
http://www.cpu-world.com/sspec/SL/SLA9X.html

Given that it is Core 2 and LGA775, anything shipping new today
should work with it. You might, with some bad luck, be able to
buy a used LGA775 motherboard from Ebay which didn't support it,
but anything you can find for sale today would likely be OK.

Go to Newegg, select motherboards, Intel, LGA775, microATX, then
list the search result by price or by rating. If you select the
one which is slightly over $100, that will be a full sized
9.6" x 9.6" motherboard. A $50 board will only have room for
two DIMMs, and be 9.6" x 7.0". Select one with the onboard
peripherals and I/O plate connectors you want.

Then, visit the motherboard maker site, and check the CPUSupport
chart for that motherboard.

The E6550 is FSB1333, and a really ancient motherboard (like
my Asrock 4Core board with FSB1066 limitation), would not be
a good match. But anything produced half way through the span
of LGA775 products, should support FSB1333. Available
microATX LGA775 motherboards today, will either use DDR2
or DDR3 RAM (but not both), so take care to match the RAM
type, or be prepared to spend another $50 on new RAM.

Since you're fitting the motherboard to a strange case, it's up
to you to do a mechanical inspection, and see if placement of the
CPU cooler on the new LGA775 socket location, conflicts with
other mechanical structures inside the case. For example, a
BTX computer case, would not be a good project case for
an ATX motherboard, because the casing is "backwards". So use
your skills to analyse it for fit, before buying it.

You'll need some fresh paste when fitting the heatsink/fan to the
new CPU, so that's something else you should purchase if you don't
already have some.

Paul