Upgrading my computer to GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R with an i7 950 CPU...

Old December 7th 10, 08:23 PM posted to alt.comp.perips.mainboard.giga-byte,alt.comp.periphs.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Ant

Default Upgrading my computer to GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R with an i7 950 CPU...

Hello!

I am thinking of replacing my current motherboard, CPU, RAM, etc. to an
Intel i7 950 CPU, GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R motherboard, and new RAM. I am
still going to use my old, updated Windows XP Pro. SP3 (don't need
64-bit and newer Windows at this time since my old softwares still
work). Is this going to be OK?

My current computer specifications (primary computer) details can be
found at http://zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/about/computers.txt ...

Thank you in advance.
--
Quote of the Week: "To the ant, a few drops of dew is a flood." --Iranian
/\___/\ Ant @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
Old December 8th 10, 01:35 AM posted to alt.comp.perips.mainboard.giga-byte,alt.comp.periphs.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Paul in Houston TX

Ant wrote:
Hello!

I am thinking of replacing my current motherboard, CPU, RAM, etc. to an
Intel i7 950 CPU, GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R motherboard, and new RAM. I am
still going to use my old, updated Windows XP Pro. SP3 (don't need
64-bit and newer Windows at this time since my old softwares still
work). Is this going to be OK?

My current computer specifications (primary computer) details can be
found at http://zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/about/computers.txt ...

Thank you in advance.

YES!
Excellent system. I made a similar system a few months ago.
X58-ud3r, 6g ram, core i7 930, two 500g black caviar drives
in Raid 1 mode, nvidia GTX470 vid.
The base cpu speed is 2.93 but it is quite happy running
at 3.67. The mb says it does not support 1600 ram
but it runs great with 1600 c7 ram. Ram tends to get
flakey at 1950 mhz. System unstable past 4ghz on stock cpu fan.
You have probably read about the squeaking cpu.
Mine did it once briefly but it was due to extreme overclocking.
BTW, the system doubles as an excellent space heater.
Overall, it is the best system that I have ever made.
Oh, the mb has PS2 ports, IDE ports, and one PCI,
which the comparable ASUS did not have. Granted, those things
slow a machine down... but... Oh, no parallel port.
I had to get a PCI parallel card for my printer/fax/copier.
A usb to parallel will not work for 2 way com.

Old December 10th 10, 05:13 PM posted to alt.comp.perips.mainboard.giga-byte,alt.comp.periphs.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Ant[_3_]

On 12/7/2010 4:35 PM PT, Paul in Houston TX typed:

[...]

Squeaking? I forgot to mention that I don't do overclocking/OCIng.

BTW, the system doubles as an excellent space heater.

Ugh, this is going to be bad news since my room can go up to 90F degrees
during the heat waves since I live in a desert area.

Overall, it is the best system that I have ever made.
Oh, the mb has PS2 ports, IDE ports, and one PCI,

Crap, only one PCI slot? I have four PCI cards (three TV tuners + SB
Audigy 2 ZS). I guess I could sacrifice my old non-HD TV card and
soundcard, but I still have two left.

which the comparable ASUS did not have. Granted, those things
slow a machine down... but... Oh, no parallel port.

Bah to parallel which I don't have. I have no IDE devices in my current
quad-core system. All SATA drives now.

I had to get a PCI parallel card for my printer/fax/copier.
A usb to parallel will not work for 2 way com.

Why not buy a new printer/fax/copier instead or use it on another
computer that have parallel and network share?
--
"I once heard the survivors of a colony of ants that had been partially
obliterated by a cow's foot seriously debating the intention of the gods
Old December 10th 10, 07:53 PM posted to alt.comp.perips.mainboard.giga-byte,alt.comp.periphs.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Paul in Houston TX

Ant wrote:
[...]

If you don't o/c then you may not have that problem.
You can always turn off the auto step voltage adjust for
when you do o/c. That stops the squeaking.

BTW, the system doubles as an excellent space heater.

Ugh, this is going to be bad news since my room can go up to 90F degrees
during the heat waves since I live in a desert area.

If you don't o/c then not to worry.

Overall, it is the best system that I have ever made.
Oh, the mb has PS2 ports, IDE ports, and one PCI,

Crap, only one PCI slot? I have four PCI cards (three TV tuners + SB
Audigy 2 ZS). I guess I could sacrifice my old non-HD TV card and
soundcard, but I still have two left.

I mean PCI, not PCIe. That mb has 2 pcie 16 slots, 2 pcie 8 slots
and 2 pcie 1 slots.
It will be difficult to find a decent mb with PCI slots nowadays.
Don't know if they make them for quad core cpu's or not.
May have to get an old P4 board and cpu.

which the comparable ASUS did not have. Granted, those things
slow a machine down... but... Oh, no parallel port.

Bah to parallel which I don't have. I have no IDE devices in my current
quad-core system. All SATA drives now.

I had to get a PCI parallel card for my printer/fax/copier.
A usb to parallel will not work for 2 way com.

Why not buy a new printer/fax/copier instead or use it on another
computer that have parallel and network share?

I thought about that, but $13 for a parallel card was cheaper.
The other computers are not always on.
Old December 11th 10, 03:49 AM posted to alt.comp.perips.mainboard.giga-byte,alt.comp.periphs.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Ant[_3_]

On 12/10/2010 10:53 AM PT, Paul in Houston TX typed:

Overall, it is the best system that I have ever made.
Oh, the mb has PS2 ports, IDE ports, and one PCI,

Crap, only one PCI slot? I have four PCI cards (three TV tuners + SB
Audigy 2 ZS). I guess I could sacrifice my old non-HD TV card and
soundcard, but I still have two left.

I mean PCI, not PCIe. That mb has 2 pcie 16 slots, 2 pcie 8 slots
and 2 pcie 1 slots.
It will be difficult to find a decent mb with PCI slots nowadays.

Yeah. Wow, I didn't know they completely got rid PCI slots already.
Aren't PCIe supposed to be backward compatible with old PCI cards?

Don't know if they make them for quad core cpu's or not.
May have to get an old P4 board and cpu.

P4? Um, isn't that slower than my Intel Q8200 CPU system?

I had to get a PCI parallel card for my printer/fax/copier.
A usb to parallel will not work for 2 way com.

Why not buy a new printer/fax/copier instead or use it on another
computer that have parallel and network share?

I thought about that, but $13 for a parallel card was cheaper.
The other computers are not always on.

Ah. Ugh, technologies are going too fast!
--
"Whence we see spiders, flies, or ants entombed and preserved forever in
amber, a more than royal tomb." --Sir Francis Bacon in Historia Vitę et