SATA/chipset drivers or GA-EP35C-DS3R (2.1) = useful under win7 x64???

Old May 15th 10, 06:10 PM posted to alt.fr.os.windows.7,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Hueyduck[_3_]

Default SATA/chipset drivers or GA-EP35C-DS3R (2.1) = useful under win7 x64???

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the crosspost, but I can't make up my mind about the best
forum to post to.

I have a PC with a GA-EP35C-DS3R (rev 2.1).
I just installed a win7 x64 pro OS on a partition.
Everything seems to run fine (no test done yet).

I'm a bit confused about the usefullness (that a word?) of two drivers:

- the CHipset driver (intel INF)
but I think it has to be installed. A confirmation will be welcome.

and

- the SATA driver
Knowing that I won't use the Raid functions,
Knowing that all the drivers on the gigabyte site are labelled "SATA Raid",
do I need to install them? Would I gain any performance compared to the
standard divers of microsoft?

Thanks a lot for your advice.

Huey
Old May 16th 10, 12:09 AM posted to alt.fr.os.windows.7,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
andy

On Sat, 15 May 2010 19:10:41 +0200, Hueyduck
wrote:

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the crosspost, but I can't make up my mind about the best
forum to post to.

I have a PC with a GA-EP35C-DS3R (rev 2.1).
I just installed a win7 x64 pro OS on a partition.
Everything seems to run fine (no test done yet).

I'm a bit confused about the usefullness (that a word?) of two drivers:

- the CHipset driver (intel INF)
but I think it has to be installed. A confirmation will be welcome.

Yes.

and

- the SATA driver
Knowing that I won't use the Raid functions,
Knowing that all the drivers on the gigabyte site are labelled "SATA Raid",
do I need to install them? Would I gain any performance compared to the
standard divers of microsoft?

Probably not.

Thanks a lot for your advice.

Huey

Old May 16th 10, 11:45 AM posted to alt.fr.os.windows.7,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Hueyduck[_3_]

wrote:

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the crosspost, but I can't make up my mind about the best
forum to post to.

I have a PC with a GA-EP35C-DS3R (rev 2.1).
I just installed a win7 x64 pro OS on a partition.
Everything seems to run fine (no test done yet).

I'm a bit confused about the usefullness (that a word?) of two drivers:

- the CHipset driver (intel INF)
but I think it has to be installed. A confirmation will be welcome.

Yes.

-
Thanks for answering.
I read the readme file of the latest INF, and it clearly states that
Win7 might already include the necessary driver.
Anyway , I launched the instller, rebooted, and nothing seems to have
changed. I don't even know how to check if the chipset is correctly
installed. What would I be looking for? I see no question marks in the
device panel control, that seem right for me

--
Merci pour ta réponse.
J'ai lu le fichier readme du dernier INF pour le chipset, et on y dit

Huey
Old May 17th 10, 08:29 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
jk

wrote:

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the crosspost, but I can't make up my mind about the best
forum to post to.

I have a PC with a GA-EP35C-DS3R (rev 2.1).
I just installed a win7 x64 pro OS on a partition.
Everything seems to run fine (no test done yet).

I'm a bit confused about the usefullness (that a word?) of two drivers:

- the CHipset driver (intel INF)
but I think it has to be installed. A confirmation will be welcome.

and

- the SATA driver
Knowing that I won't use the Raid functions,
Knowing that all the drivers on the gigabyte site are labelled "SATA Raid",
do I need to install them? Would I gain any performance compared to the
standard divers of microsoft?

I have the very same motherboard, rev. 2A.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64. I use just the Microsoft sata drivers. It works
very well.

Bios is F4. Cpu: Core2 E8400.

The challenge with this motherboard was to get 4 stick of DDR2 memory
to boot. I run dual channel with 8 Gb: 2 sticks mushkin og 2 sticks
kingston, pc2 6400.

best regards

John
Old May 18th 10, 12:38 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Hueyduck[_3_]

jk a écrit :

- the SATA driver
Knowing that I won't use the Raid functions,
Knowing that all the drivers on the gigabyte site are labelled "SATA Raid",
do I need to install them? Would I gain any performance compared to the
standard divers of microsoft?

I have the very same motherboard, rev. 2A.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64. I use just the Microsoft sata drivers. It works
very well.

-
Thx for the report.
That's reassuring.
-

Bios is F4. Cpu: Core2 E8400.

The challenge with this motherboard was to get 4 stick of DDR2 memory
to boot. I run dual channel with 8 Gb: 2 sticks mushkin og 2 sticks
kingston, pc2 6400.

-
Yeah, strange thing these memory issues. I had to change my first sticks
to another brand because I could set them to not produce errors in
MEMtest . I had quite a fawe frights and freezes with this issue.

Huey