GA-8VM800PMD-775-RH 1gb + 512mb = 1gb ????

Old June 13th 09, 08:39 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Paul

Default GA-8VM800PMD-775-RH 1gb + 512mb = 1gb ????

"A_Michigan_User" wrote:
Wow, this just gets stranger and stranger.

Now even with the "correct" memory (as suggested by crucial.com)... my 2x1gb
sticks
are only seen as a total of 1gb.... instead of 2gb.

(My original memory worked fine. 2x512mb sticks.)

Memory: CT2KIT12864AA667 (matched set of 2 sticks @ 1gb each)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-8VM800PMD-775-RH
BIOS: F6 (the very latest)
OS: Windows XP Pro (with all the latest patches)

What else could be causing this odd problem?

Thanks.

OK, do the memory modules have heat spreaders on them ? Doesn't look like
it here. The side without the stickers may be visible.

http://c1.neweggimages.com/NeweggIma...146-526-07.jpg

If they don't, you can read off the numbers on the top of the memory chip.
You can see an example here. There may be multiple lines of text. (This
is graphics memory, but it is the same idea.)

http://www.ixbt.com/video2/images/g7...sung16-mem.jpg

The expectation was, these would be 16 chip modules. Are they 16 chip ?
With both the part number and the chip count, it may be possible to
identify what the module is.

Crucial modules sometimes have a Micron sticker on them as well.
(Dual stickered modules.) Crucial doesn't have data sheets for
all their memory, but the Micron sticker can be looked up on
micron.com . Back when some of the Newegg pictures were higher
resolution, I could look up the modules before anyone bought
one.

Paul
Old June 13th 09, 09:04 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
\A_Michigan_User\

Heat Spreaders? No.
Stickers? Yes

They have 8 chips a stick. All 8 chips on 1 side of the stick.

I can't easily get to the stickers... to read the info... because it's in
the computer now.
(I've opened the case SO many times... I'm really not looking forward to
doing this all over again.)

Crucial.com ASSURED me those were DEFINITELY the correct memory modules for
my motherboard.
http://www.crucial.com/store/listpar...M800PMD-775-RH

I can't just keep buying "random (non-refundable) guesses" like this.
Very frustrating. Very expensive.

Looks my choices a
Either I keep buying the wrong memory (my fault).
or
I keep buying the wrong memory (the seller's fault).
or
I keep buying "unknown" memory because no one lists simple info like:
"How... Many... Chips... Are... On... These?"

Old June 13th 09, 09:15 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Paul

"A_Michigan_User" wrote:
[...]

Crucial has a "chat" thing on their web page. Tell them the board
needs a 16 chip module, and to check the particulars in their
database. If they need help, tell them to search using the
Kingston search engine, where Kingston won't sell a 1GB
module for that motherboard, for fear of getting it wrong.
It would appear that Crucial has the same "lack of control"
in the inventory department.

It is possible to tell what you're going to get. Have a look
at the Micron sticker. There may be a "-8" somewhere in the
part number. The "-8" or "-8T" means an eight chip module.
A "-16T" would be a sixteen chip module. But the problem is,
I've never been able to find a translation table from
"Crucial sticker" to "Micron sticker", in order to verify
the composition. The Micron sticker likely has tighter
controls over construction. If there is no Micron sticker,
it means Crucial got the module for resale elsewhere.
(Micron is their parent company, but due to various problems
they've had, and the economics, you may also see Samsung
chips in some cases.)

I don't know all their policies, so I don't know what they'll do next.
Most companies will not cross-ship, so you get an RMA number,
ship the product back (with the RMA number printed in large
letters on the parcel), and then they'll forward the right stuff
(maybe). Very few companies ship the replacement product in
advance.

As far as I'm concerned, based on the evidence I can find, the
product should be

(16) 64Mx8 chips

HTH,
Paul
Old June 13th 09, 10:11 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
\A_Michigan_User\

As far as I'm concerned, based on the evidence I can find, the
product should be

(16) 64Mx8 chips

That sounds like what I need.
Would that also be called "low density chips"?

But translating that into "an actual part number" that's definitely
correct... is nearly impossible.

When I try to buy based on "pictures" I'm told "pictures don't alway
represent the actual product".

Where can I find an online store that definitely states "16 chips" and gives
a Kingston or Crucial or Micron part number?
(Or any major company.)

From that part number... I should be able to "shop around" and find the best
price.

(I'm finding $50 price differences for exactly the same memory sticks.)

Old June 13th 09, 10:40 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Paul

"A_Michigan_User" wrote:
As far as I'm concerned, based on the evidence I can find, the
product should be

(16) 64Mx8 chips

That sounds like what I need.
Would that also be called "low density chips"?

But translating that into "an actual part number" that's definitely
correct... is nearly impossible.

When I try to buy based on "pictures" I'm told "pictures don't alway
represent the actual product".

Where can I find an online store that definitely states "16 chips" and gives
a Kingston or Crucial or Micron part number?
(Or any major company.)

From that part number... I should be able to "shop around" and find the best
price.

(I'm finding $50 price differences for exactly the same memory sticks.)

Well, now you're depending on the "satisfaction guaranteed"
response of your vendor. If you paid with a credit card, you
have an overall dispute resolution mechanism you can employ.
If you paid cash, you have less leverage.

I don't know how easy it is to get "Micron" branded modules
as such. Maybe they only wholesale them ? I've never really
tried.

This would be a Micron part number.

http://www.micron.com/products/partd...HTF12864AY-667

The datasheet covers more than one module. In table 4
the "base device" on the 1GB module, is MT47H64M8. The 64M8 implies
an 8 bit wide device. 8 chips per rank (to make a 64 bit wide array).
2 ranks per module. 16 chips total. I wanted to check that, as
a double check that the diagram in Fig. 2 and Fig. 3 is hot a
phony.

http://download.micron.com/pdf/datas...28_256x64A.pdf

So if there was a Micron sticker on your module, indicating MT16HTF12864AY-667.
it would have been the right RAM.

The thing is, Crucial is the retail arm, and has less precision in
what the sell (no datasheets). Micron does have the precision
(like Kingston, providing datasheets for at least some of the product).

*******

Right now, what matters, is beating on Crucial for what you paid for.
All the rest is noise. Keep at them.

Paul
Old June 13th 09, 11:47 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Monty[_3_]

On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 14:51:49 -0400, "\"A_Michigan_User\""
wrote:

Is it possible that one of your DIMM slots is faulty? Have you tried
installing only one stick of memory, firstly in DIMM1 slot and then in
DIMM2 slot?

Monty

Wow, this just gets stranger and stranger.

Now even with the "correct" memory (as suggested by crucial.com)... my 2x1gb
sticks
are only seen as a total of 1gb.... instead of 2gb.

(My original memory worked fine. 2x512mb sticks.)

Memory: CT2KIT12864AA667 (matched set of 2 sticks @ 1gb each)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-8VM800PMD-775-RH
BIOS: F6 (the very latest)
OS: Windows XP Pro (with all the latest patches)

What else could be causing this odd problem?

Thanks.

"Paul" wrote in message
"A_Michigan_User" wrote:
Paul,

Thanks again.

Looks like I should just switch to two sticks of 1gb each. (2gb total)

Crucial says this is what I need: CT2KIT12864AA667

Crucial has it for $38:
http://www.crucial.com/store/partspe...2KIT12864AA667

NewEgg has it for $25:

So I guess I'll get the NewEgg.

(But neither company says "number of chips".... so I'm again "guessing at
all this".)

As long as either company treats you right, if there is a problem
with the product, then go with the cheaper one. Make sure you
know what the Newegg return policy is - how many days you have to
test it and so on.

After installing the RAM, your first boot should be a copy of memtest86+.
Run two passes, to prove the memory isn't total crap.

http://www.memtest.org/

Keep the old memory around, just in case. If you ever have a problem,
and need to verify the computer still works, you can plug in that
512MB for a test. You don't have to immediately sell it on Ebay (if
you could - the demand for it might not be there).

Paul

Old June 14th 09, 04:28 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
\A_Michigan_User\

I haven't tried "only 1"... but I've tried "swapping them"... as well as "my
2x512mb sticks have
worked flawlessly for years".

I don't know how many other motherboards have this little-known "feature"...
but mine has:

Use of a Double-Sided memory module (the single chip is 512 Mbit)
is required if you wish to install a 1 GB memory module.

I just need to find someone that sells that... and can *CONFIRM* that it
definitely has
16 chips.

So far, salespeople have been telling me:
"I don't know"
"It doesn't really matter"
"I've never heard of that"

It *DEFINITELY* matters if you have the Gigabyte GA-8VM800PMD-775-RH
motherboard.

Old June 14th 09, 01:51 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
\A_Michigan_User\

Paul,

Does this look like the "16 chips" that I need?

http://www.valueram.com/datasheets/KVR667D2N5_1G.pdf

But even their own data-sheet warns that "the DRAM combination may vary from
what is described
here". (Does the "DRAM combination" mean "might have 8 chips instead"?)

The pictures themselves look like "16 chips":

"Paul" wrote in message
"A_Michigan_User" wrote:
As far as I'm concerned, based on the evidence I can find, the
product should be

(16) 64Mx8 chips

That sounds like what I need.
Would that also be called "low density chips"?

But translating that into "an actual part number" that's definitely
correct... is nearly impossible.

When I try to buy based on "pictures" I'm told "pictures don't alway
represent the actual product".

Where can I find an online store that definitely states "16 chips" and
gives a Kingston or Crucial or Micron part number?
(Or any major company.)

From that part number... I should be able to "shop around" and find the
best price.

Old June 14th 09, 06:17 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Paul

"A_Michigan_User" wrote:
Paul,

Does this look like the "16 chips" that I need?

http://www.valueram.com/datasheets/KVR667D2N5_1G.pdf

But even their own data-sheet warns that "the DRAM combination may vary from
what is described
here". (Does the "DRAM combination" mean "might have 8 chips instead"?)

The pictures themselves look like "16 chips":

Reading the customer reviews, the third review down right now, is a
person in your exact position. They bought the product, believing
the datasheet, as a "low density" module, and what was delivered
was an 8 chip module.

"Low density not guaranteed" 5/28/2009 3:04:35 PM

Cons: I ordered this for a system that requires low density memory
modules. The product images show a low density module, and I
found a datasheet for this model that describes a low density
module, but what I received is a high density module with the
same model number. So I can't use it. So. If you need a low
density module you're taking a chance with this model.

You're going to have to work with someone, to get a 16 chip module.
That may mean, if using Crucial, talk to one of their customer
service agents, and make sure the order is marked as "low density",
so that the right module is sent.

I'm surprised Kingston released a datasheet like that, and then
produced a mismatched module. I've always relied on their
datasheets in the past. I guess they're now meaningless...

Paul

Old June 14th 09, 09:08 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
andy

These modules should work:
http://www.ewiz.com/query.php?dp=1&dt=2&categry=637&brand=&pa0=DDR2&pa 1=+DDR2-533&pa2=2GB+x2&pa3=&pa4=&pa5=64x8&pa6=NO&pa7=&sear chStr=Search+from+current+results&myanchor=%23disp laytop&categry=637&brand=&pa0=DDR2&pa1=+DDR2-533&pa2=1GB&pa3=&pa4=&pa5=64x8&pa6=NO&pa7=
http://www.supertalent.com/products/memory_landing.php?mtid=2&density=4&speed=7&data_r ate=7&package_config=&tid=9&FindByType.x=39&FindBy Type.y=13

On Sat, 6 Jun 2009 22:36:45 -0400, "\"A_Michigan_User\""
wrote:

Paul,

Maybe it would help if I understood the math instead.

128m x 64... in order to get 1gb... wouldn't it *HAVE TO BE* 16 chips?
No?

I thought 128m x 64 was the memory available in each chip.
No?

I've already bought my "wrong" memory from NewEgg... so (if they allow me to
exchange it)...
I'd like to buy the "correct" stuff also from NewEgg.

I really hate to shop by "what the picture might look like"... but I guess
I'll have to in this case.

I was *SO* careful to try and buy the right stuff:
1gb (all on 1 stick, not 2)
DDR2
DIMM
Avoid laptop memory
533/400
Unbuffered
Not dual-channel
Not ECC
240-pin
PC2-4200
Big name manufacturer
Big name store
Low price
Free shipping
I even made sure it was 1.8 volt

Results? The wrong memory anyway.

Ugh.

"Paul" wrote in message
"A_Michigan_User" wrote:
I'm also finding that very few stores tell you the "actual number of
chips".
(Why is that info missing? That's apparently extremely important.)

I apparently need "16 chips".

If a 1gb stick says "128m x 64" can I be certain that it will have 16
chips?

That is the problem. The 128m x 64 is actually meaningless.
It is a "window dressing" that does not help customers.
It is intended to make the advert look technical.

*******

When I looked at your Kingston item on Newegg, then looked
at the picture, I see the back of the module has no chips.
So that one is an 8 chip module. An 8 chip 1GB module,
on that motherboard, will only be half-detected.

(No chips on back of module)
http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/20-144-151-S02?$S640W$

Buy the Crucial one instead. You can buy it straight from
Crucial, as they're more likely to help you if there is a
problem with the product. The Newegg picture, did not remove
the module from the packaging, so we can't look at the back
of it. But if Crucial says it works, then it works.

Paul

Urgent: GA-8VM800PMD-775 wide screen setup help? Carrot Gigabyte Motherboards 0 June 10th 06 01:42 PM
Buy a DDR 512MB RAM or not zoxta General 0 November 19th 05 07:24 AM
512MB? DEATH-INC Dell Computers 12 April 19th 05 10:04 PM
You might soon "need" 512MB VRAM Cuzman Ati Videocards 17 April 26th 04 11:33 PM
W98 with >512MB RAM Ola A Johansson Asus Motherboards 5 July 4th 03 03:38 AM