Rails for Proliant 6400R...

Old January 9th 06, 04:35 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

Default Rails for Proliant 6400R...

Hi all.. I finally obtained (for free no less) a 19" (slightly higher than
waist high) rack mount cabinet from someone that left at the curb
over the weekend (for vultures like me) and would like to put my Proliant
into it at some point.. My machine currently has the internal rails (the
side that mounts on the chassis) but that leaves the other half that mounts
to the rack..

So, I was just wondering if there's anything special I should know
about the rails for these machines (weight requirement,etc) and
can I just find some on e*bay that are for any Proliant (e.g. are they
all the same)?

TIA!

-- Rick

Old January 9th 06, 10:49 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

I've found rails at Home Depot- in the form of their heavy duty kitchen
drawer slides for less than half of the price for the genuine ones. As luck
would have it, the inner rails even fit these.

Old January 11th 06, 01:41 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

In article , Robert Bates wrote:
I've found rails at Home Depot- in the form of their heavy duty kitchen
drawer slides for less than half of the price for the genuine ones. As luck
would have it, the inner rails even fit these.

Really? I'd be curious if they'd be beefy enough for this application
as some of these boxes are quite heavy (but not my 6400R which is only 4U IIRC),
but my old 5500 was probably close a 100lb loaded which I'd guess is the max
capacity of those drawer slides from HD.. What did you use yours to hold --
something heavy or light?

I guess I'd prefer to go with the real-deal just in case I need to
get something that I'm sure isn't going to fail one day and drop
my server on the floor of the rack.. Most of the HD rails are either 75lb
or 100lb capacity after looking through their site.. The nice thing
about some of the real ones are that they (sometimes) come with the cable
retractors as well which is a plug plus in my opinion to keep the cables
nice and neat.. Comments?

I'll have to admit that I really like this stupid cabinet I got for free,
as it's just the right height to put my LCD monitor on as well as the
keyboard/mouse for those rare occasions when I actually need/want to
use the console for something.

-- Rick

Old January 11th 06, 01:56 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

In article , Rick F. wrote:
In article , Robert Bates wrote:
I've found rails at Home Depot- in the form of their heavy duty kitchen
drawer slides for less than half of the price for the genuine ones. As luck
would have it, the inner rails even fit these.

One other thing I'd really like to get an answer on.. In poking around on
E*bay, I find that the 6400R's rail kits are frequently listed as being
the same for the ML series of machines, but not the DL series.. What's the
difference and can I or can't I use DL series rails with my 6400?

Thanks!
Old January 11th 06, 04:11 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

I have a 5500 and a 5000 hanging on the HD rails and they seem to hold the
weight just fine. They are too wide for my 1850s. The reason that I went
with them originally was I was in a hurry and didn't want to wait until I
could find them on eBay. You ever notice how when you don't want something
on eBay, there are loads of them going for next to nothing, and as soon as
you need something, most of them disappear and what's left goes for top
dollar?

Old January 17th 06, 09:39 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

In article , Robert Bates wrote:
I have a 5500 and a 5000 hanging on the HD rails and they seem to hold the
weight just fine. They are too wide for my 1850s. The reason that I went
with them originally was I was in a hurry and didn't want to wait until I
could find them on eBay. You ever notice how when you don't want something
on eBay, there are loads of them going for next to nothing, and as soon as
you need something, most of them disappear and what's left goes for top
dollar?

Ok.. I succumbed to the tempation and drove down to my local home depot
and picked up the $16 rails to try out on my 6400R.. I found that they
are a bit narrower than the original ones (which I believe are 2.5" tall)
and the HD rails are 22" vs. 26" for the Compaq ones.. The resulting
shortness means that the server sticks out about 4" and can't be screwed
closed since you're hitting the rail stops at the back of the rails.

I'll probably keep these for another project (when I get the storage
subsystem) and put real compaq rails on here.. There are several being sold
on Ebay for = $50 which is OK I guess.

-- Rick

Need to Buy Rails for M J. P. Willis Storage (alternative) 1 February 11th 05 04:43 PM
PowerEdge 750 rails? Jason Kinkade Dell Computers 1 November 26th 04 01:16 PM
Case Rails? PawsForThought General 22 February 12th 04 01:39 AM
Hot-swap drive has magnetized rails?? Dan Foster Storage & Hardrives 0 December 6th 03 10:11 AM
Rails for server mysza General Hardware 1 November 7th 03 04:12 AM