MS Downloads of Dell Graphics Drivers?

Old June 9th 05, 11:25 PM

Default MS Downloads of Dell Graphics Drivers?

Boy am I confused.

Hi,
I saw the MS yellow shield which indicated an MS download is awaiting.
I clicked on it and a large gray dialog box asked if I wish to download
DELL graphics drivers.

I clicked YES and waited a second or two and then received a dialog box
that advised the downloads could NOT be done...no explanation!!

What gives. I removed all programs that were running in the back ground
before I tried the downloads.

Mike

Old June 9th 05, 11:28 PM
NoNoBadDog!

wrote in message
oups.com...
Boy am I confused.

Hi,
I saw the MS yellow shield which indicated an MS download is awaiting.
I clicked on it and a large gray dialog box asked if I wish to download
DELL graphics drivers.

I clicked YES and waited a second or two and then received a dialog box
that advised the downloads could NOT be done...no explanation!!

What gives. I removed all programs that were running in the back ground
before I tried the downloads.

Mike

You should never download MS drivers for your hardware. Always use those
supplied by the manufacturer (Dell). The MS drivers are not the same as
those supplied by Dell, and may degrade the performance of your computer.

Bobby

Old June 10th 05, 12:45 AM
Jupiter Jones

The drivers supplied by Microsoft are from the hardware manufacturer, Dell
in this case.
The manufacturer pays to verify a driver meets standards and at that point
Microsoft distributes the driver.

Otherwise you are correct, it is always best to get drivers directly from
the manufacturer and not from Microsoft.
If Windows Update shows a driver as a Driver Update, check the driver at the
manufacturers website and determine if you need it.
If a driver is a Critical Update, there is a reason the manufacturer and
Microsoft have made that determination.
Still go to the manufacturer but in this case, you should strongly consider
the newer driver from the manufacturer.

--
Jupiter Jones
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

news:io3qe.23851 You should never download MS drivers for your hardware.

Old June 10th 05, 04:04 AM
fred

wrote in message
oups.com...
Boy am I confused.

Hi,
I saw the MS yellow shield which indicated an MS download is awaiting.
I clicked on it and a large gray dialog box asked if I wish to download
DELL graphics drivers.

I clicked YES and waited a second or two and then received a dialog box
that advised the downloads could NOT be done...no explanation!!

What gives. I removed all programs that were running in the back ground
before I tried the downloads.

Mike

You should never download MS drivers for your hardware.

Wrong, always use drivers recommended by MS Update -after- you've updated
to the latest Dell stuff.

Always use those
supplied by the manufacturer (Dell).

First but not only. HW mfgs stop providing new fixes/versions at some point
and often that's before MS does.

The MS drivers are not the same as
those supplied by Dell, and may degrade the performance of your computer.

Nonsense.

Old June 10th 05, 05:29 AM
NoNoBadDog!

wrote in message
[...]

Okay, for the benefit of the group, here is the "real deal"

Microsoft offer basic driver sets for popular hardware. This is for the
benefit of enterprise level hardware on which manufacturers "extended"
drivers are not needed. While some of these drivers are supplied by the
manufacturers themselves, quite often they are generic non-OEm drivers
developed by Microsoft. In general terms, these drivers are baseline
drivers, intended for installation on mission hardware with a minimum
footprint and still provide functionality.
They are not and never have been recommended as replacements or enhancements
to the manufacturers drivers designed for consumer machines.
A simple experiment will demonstrate this;

1. Download the latest driver posted at Dell; save it on your HDD but don't
install it.
2. Download the "same" driver form the Microsoft website. Save it to your
HDD and don't install it.

Now, simply compare the file sizes.

Hmmm....

Bobby

Old June 10th 05, 05:41 AM
Ben Myers

There's no set formula whether drivers from Microsoft or Dell are better. I've
had drivers from the Microsoft update site hose up a system, so they should
NEVER be characterized as perfection. Name brand manufacturers tend to lag way
behind in providing updated drivers, because all they really care about is
selling new systems, not supporting existing ones.

The bottom line is that very few desktop and server systems use customized
chipsets, and drivers are tightly tied to the chipset. (Way back when computers
cost thousands of dollars, Compaq and others imposed on chipset manufacturers to
make some chips a little different. Once Compaq found out the high cost of
supporting custom chipsets, it then began using standard ones across the
board(s). )

Me? I almost routinely go to the web site of the chipset or motherboard
manufacturer. For example, the drivers from the Intel web site are just fine
for motherboard chipsets and built-in Intel "extreme graphics". The chipset
manufacturer does all the work to correct driver defects, then issues copies to
Micro$oft and the name brand manufacturers and/or board manufacturers. So if
you want the latest, go to the website of the chipset manufacturer... Ben Myers

Old June 10th 05, 05:51 AM
fred

wrote in message
[...]

If there's any content to that gibber it's hard to find.

They are not and never have been recommended as replacements or

enhancements
to the manufacturers drivers designed for consumer machines.
A simple experiment will demonstrate this;

1. Download the latest driver posted at Dell; save it on your HDD but

don't
install it.
2. Download the "same" driver form the Microsoft website. Save it to your
HDD and don't install it.

Now, simply compare the file sizes.

Hmmm....

WOW, do you have any clue regarding these matters? You must claim that the
color of the website banner come into this somewhere?

Old June 10th 05, 05:51 AM
fred

ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote in message
[...]

Probably true for the chipset driver and display drivers but then that
wasn't the issue at hand was it.

Old June 10th 05, 06:03 AM
NoNoBadDog!

wrote in message
[...]

The only thing worse than someone who cannot admit he's wrong is someone who
is clueless calling someone else clueless.

Bobby

Old June 10th 05, 06:13 AM
NuTCrAcKeR

WOW, do you have any clue regarding these matters? You must claim that
the
color of the website banner come into this somewhere?

you are ignornat.

I agree with the otherguy ... never install device drivers via windows
update. They are the baseline reference drivers, not the preferred OEM
drivers. They are there largely, as the other guy said, to get basic
plug-n-play support for devices until you can install the current OEM
drivers for the devices.

Just 2 days ago, I accidently downloaded a CMedia sound driver via windows
update. My board has an nForce 2 chipset, so its an nVidia audio chip.
Windows update mis-identified my hardware. the driver that was downloaded
and installed stopped the sound from working AT ALL. I had to do a driver
rollback to get my sound back.

That is just 1 instance, and over the years there have been many others.

On the servers I manage, there are often new Intel, HP, Emulex, etc drivers
available, and I would get fired if I ever let WU install those.

Moral of the story ... DO NOT USE WU FOR DEVICE DRIVER INSTALLS. EVER.
PERIOD.

have a nice day