Has anyone gotten their OS Disk from Dell recently?

Old April 22nd 05, 07:12 PM
Notan

Laura wrote:

Has anyone gotten their OS Disk from Dell recently? I'm not having much
luck.

snip

What division did you purchase from?

As I posted, in a different thread, Dell *is* giving Small Business
(and higher, I assume) purchasers the option of receiving an OS CD.

It kinda sucks if Home purchasers aren't being offered the same.

Notan
Old April 22nd 05, 07:16 PM
Laura

I personally would not have a problem paying an extra $5 for the OS or
Drivers CD if it was made available. The fact that Dell does not bother to
tell anyone and makes it difficult to obtain is the frustrating part. I
supect that they just spent way more than $5 in tech support today alone on
my request. I have been on the phone with the tech on and off for the past 2
hours. 3 separate phone calls. I'm sure she is paid more than $5 per hour.
So where is the savings there?

I do understand the cost cutting issues and what companies do when desparate
to save money.

"Tom Scales" wrote in message
. ..
While I do not understand why Dell doesn't offer it at as a cost-based
upgrade, the reality is that the margins are so thing that the big OEMs
almost have to do this in the comsumer space. An extra $5 is huge when
you're barely making money. People demand $399 computers, with all retains
parts, includign the OS, and lifetime toll-free support whenthey screw
something up.

It can't be done.

This isn't a pro-Dell statement, as it applies to all the majors, just a
fact. It's comical, in some ways, like the people that start out their
posts:

"I formatted the drive and install Windows 3.11 on my new Dell 8400 and
Dell won't support me. Those crooks!"

replace Windows 3.11 with the non-standard operating system of your
choice.

Tom
"Laura" wrote in message
That's my feeling too. I called Microsoft yesterday and was told that the
option to provide end customers with a CD is up to the OEM. It is purely
a cost cutting measure. Dell is banking (literally) on most clueless
customers not calling and requesting their previously provided CDs.

"Jupiter Jones" wrote in message
Microsoft does not dictate whether Dell or any other OEM provides a CD.
That is strictly a choice Dell has made to save a few pennies.
Microsoft may be guilty of some things, but no CD is 99% dells fault.
The 1% can go to Microsoft because that is one of the many options given
to the OEMs.
But it was Dell who made the choice on behalf of their customers.

--
Jupiter Jones
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

wrote in message
I just bought a Dell. Forget getting a Disk out them. The were forced
to adopt the "no disk" policy because of MS's greed.

You better either learn how to use the full ASR(?) backup in your
Dell, or buy a drive imaging program like Acronis True image, or spend
a few hundred+ to buy the OS from MS. This is what MS wants: screw the
customer and force them to spend an additional couple of hundred
buying what should have been given to them in the first place.

Those are your choices. Life is too short to aggravate the hell outta
yourself trying to beat professional crooks like Gates and Dell.

Old April 22nd 05, 07:16 PM
Laura

I spent 30 minutes on the phone with Tech support. I had other questions
about some of the misc software installed on the machine. I figured I'd get
a feel for her attitude while I had her on the line first. She answered my
questions - poorly I might add. I then *hit* her with the primary question.
I said that I was told by another supervisor to call tech support to request
the disk. She started to tell me about the restore utility. I said that I
was aware of the utility but in the event that the drive needed to be
replaced that the restore disk was useless. She checked with her supervisor
and I am waiting for her to call back with the service request numbers.

She just called back to confirm our mailing address. While on the phone, she
asked me if I had the driver CD. I said no and she offered to send that too.
I guess we just have to know to ask for the disks. I now have 4 dispatch
numbers to receive 2 OS and 2 Driver CDs for our laptops.

"joe_tide" wrote in message
I'm going through that exact same thing right now. I emailed tech support.
The first response was not at all related to what I asked for. I replied
and asked if anyone else wanted to give this request a shot. The next
email said they will send the OS disk to me. We will see.

Here's a brief synopsis of the emails if interested:

***************
Problem Description:

I did not receive an OS CD with my latest purchase as I have with past
orders.

Since this machine is one which will be used by various people for
fundraising purposes we will be formatting and re-installing the OS
quarterly. Please supply the Operating System CD.

***************

Thank you for contact Dell Technical Support. We look forward to working
with you to resolve your technical issue.

I understand the issue that you must be experiencing with the
operating system CD.

For information on this please refer to the attachment that I wish to
forward to you.

Thank you for contacting Dell.

Respectfully,
Neeraj
Dell Rep # DD5135

THE ATTACHMENT EXPLAINED HOW TO RESET THE DRIVERS

***************

Original Message Follows:
------------------------
Does anyone else want to take a shot at this?

****************

Thank you for contacting Dell Technical Support.

I apologize for the problems you have encountered with your Dell system.
We appreciate the opportunity to work with you to resolve the situation.

I have submitted a request to ship the necessary replacement CD to you .

Service Call Number: 57145315

Thank you for contacting Dell.

Respectfully,
Navneet
Badge ID CB1736

"Laura" wrote in message
Has anyone gotten their OS Disk from Dell recently? I'm not having much
luck.

I called yesterday and got some dude from India. Not a pleasant
conversation at all. He insisted that their policy had changed in
November and that they no longer provide the disk. I explained that I
knew several people that had received their disks recently (this is based
solely on the info in this newsgroup).

I then tried to get a supervisor. He still was not very cooperative and
it was not until I said that if he did not get me a supervisor
immediately that I would be returning the 2 laptops. He relented and got
me a supervisor. This person was definitely not Indian. He explained that
ONLY Tech Support can provide that disk. I said fine but then your phone
support needs to be trained to pass folks over to tech support when asked
for the disk. He apologised for the other tech. Then he tried transfering
me to Tech support but because the queues were too long the recorded
message said to call later and I was disconnected.

I decided to try their chat but that did not go any better. The wait time
was 3 minutes but as the app finished loading I would get "page not
found". A refresh started the app again. I finally gave up.

Any suggestions from folks that have been sucessfull getting their disk
sent? What was your exact reason for requesting the disk? Maybe if we are
consistant in our reason then Dell might reconsider their new policy.

I am very frustrated at this and don't really know what to do next so any

TIA,
laura

Old April 22nd 05, 07:20 PM
Laura

"Notan" wrote in message
Laura wrote:

Has anyone gotten their OS Disk from Dell recently? I'm not having much
luck.

snip

What division did you purchase from?

As I posted, in a different thread, Dell *is* giving Small Business
(and higher, I assume) purchasers the option of receiving an OS CD.

It kinda sucks if Home purchasers aren't being offered the same.

Hi Notan. Your name is familiar from another newsgroup. Quicken/Quickbooks,
right?

I ordered from the Home division. Maybe we should think about Small business
next time but who knows what shape they will be in by the time we need to
upgrade. All 3 of us have machines that are less than a year old so it will
be a few years.

Yes, it is a shame that Home and Business customers are getting treated
differently. Hopefully it won't hurt Dell in the long run. Its bad enough
that our tech support is in India.

Old April 22nd 05, 07:44 PM
Ted Zieglar

If I may interject with an opinion here....and remember, it's only my
opinion:

I believe that the great majority of Home purchasers either have no clue
what to do with an OS disk, would be too scared to use it, would lose it, or
would break their install in 5 minutes with it. So I agree with Tom's
comment that it's a cost saving measure, both off the top and for support.

I believe the cluelessness to which I refer above is by happy choice: Most
Home users would rather do anything than tinker with their computers. Since
these are the bulk of Dell's Home purchasers, why include an OS disk?

That said, I do believe that Dell should at least offer the rest of us the
option to purchase a CD when buying a computer.

And while I'm on the topic: In exchange for a reduced price for the
computer, I would be pleased to exclude software support. After all, the
software is already factory tested, installed and setup (with default
options) when it arrives at your door. It's not Dell's responsibility to
save me from myself if I then screw up my software. OTOH, if my hard disk
dies under warranty, that's Dell's responsibility.

Ted Zieglar

"Laura" wrote in message
I personally would not have a problem paying an extra $5 for the OS or
Drivers CD if it was made available. The fact that Dell does not bother to
tell anyone and makes it difficult to obtain is the frustrating part. I
supect that they just spent way more than $5 in tech support today alone

on
my request. I have been on the phone with the tech on and off for the past

2
hours. 3 separate phone calls. I'm sure she is paid more than $5 per hour.
So where is the savings there?

I do understand the cost cutting issues and what companies do when

desparate
to save money.

. ..

Old April 22nd 05, 07:45 PM
Notan

Laura wrote:

"Notan" wrote in message
Laura wrote:

[...]

To tell you the truth, I'm not too worried about Dell.

They're doing just fine!

And, while I've said it before, it bears repeating... Purchases from
Dell's Small Business Division, and higher, also afford you the option
of a much higher level of support (i.e., Gold Tech Support). Short
wait times on the phone and no "script readers." Unfortunately, it'll
cost you, but if service is really a priority, it's worth it.

Good Luck!

Notan

Old April 22nd 05, 08:07 PM
Larry Sams

Dellbot ALERT!!!!

Of course if you get the consumer level, you get crappy as hell support.
"Notan" wrote in message

Old April 22nd 05, 08:08 PM
Tom Scales

Glad to hear it worked out for you. I am also sorry for our fellow
newsgroup readers that are very anti-Dell and have lost a thread they could
milk for weeks.

Tom

Old April 22nd 05, 08:09 PM
Jupiter Jones

Name calling or other frivolous labelling...Done by those with nothing of
value to contribute but still feel the need to make noise.

--
Jupiter Jones
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
http://www.dts-l.org