New build won't start up.

Old March 15th 14, 01:54 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt
Mark[_20_]

Default New build won't start up.

Usual problem - new build, no beep, no display.

Parts:
AMD A10-7850K CPU
Gigabyte GA-G1.Sniper A88X Motherboard
Be Quiet! Pure Power L8 430W
Kingston HyperX 2*GB DDR3-2133 RAM

I have tried the following:
- Reseat memory and try only one module at a time (in different slots)
- Remove CPU and refit, double check pins and CPU seated correctly.
- Remove and reconnect 24pin and 2*4 pin power connectors
- Remove and reconnect all other motherboard connections.
- Remove motherboard from case and try again.
- Monitor connected to the VGA port.

The CPU fan spins and a light on the motherboard comes on so it's not
completely dead. I know that this motherboard normally ships with an
old BIOS that does not support this CPU but the retailer assures me
that they checked this. However the motherboard did not look like it
had ever been out of the box when it arrived here.

Anything I haven't thought of? I'm really not sure it's worth trying
a different PSU and it would involve removing one from a working PC
which I would be reluctant to do. I don't have any spare memory or
another suitable CPU.

Old March 15th 14, 02:11 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt
Mark[_20_]

On Sat, 15 Mar 2014 14:08:09 +0000, Chronos
wrote:

On Sat, 15 Mar 2014 13:54:01 +0000
Mark wrote:

I have tried the following:
- Reseat memory and try only one module at a time (in different slots)
- Remove CPU and refit, double check pins and CPU seated correctly.
- Remove and reconnect 24pin and 2*4 pin power connectors
- Remove and reconnect all other motherboard connections.
- Remove motherboard from case and try again.
- Monitor connected to the VGA port.

Reset the CMOS with the motherboard jumper/remove the CR2032 coin cell
for ten minutes. If the retailer has updated the firmware, it may be
set up for different CPU/memory timings. Other than that you have
followed all the usual and clueful steps.

I forgot to say I had already shorted the jumper.

At this stage I'm usually breaking out the POST display and seeing where
it's stopping. That doesn't help much if you don't have one, though.

Old March 15th 14, 02:38 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt
Adrian C

On 15/03/2014 13:54, Mark wrote:
[...]

Smoking gun, I'd try and get hold of another CPU.

But before that,

Anything I haven't thought of?

Remove all memory, does it beep?

--
Adrian C

Old March 15th 14, 02:50 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt
Mark[_20_]

On Sat, 15 Mar 2014 14:38:06 +0000, Adrian C
wrote:

On 15/03/2014 13:54, Mark wrote:
[...]

If only I could think of somewhere I could get one quickly/easily. I
don't really want to buy a CPU I don't need.

But before that,

Anything I haven't thought of?

Remove all memory, does it beep?

Yes. I get a continuous tone. Does this tell us anything?

Old March 15th 14, 02:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt
Johny B Good

Mark wrote:

I have tried the following:
- Reseat memory and try only one module at a time (in different slots)
- Remove CPU and refit, double check pins and CPU seated correctly.
- Remove and reconnect 24pin and 2*4 pin power connectors
- Remove and reconnect all other motherboard connections.
- Remove motherboard from case and try again.
- Monitor connected to the VGA port.

Reset the CMOS with the motherboard jumper/remove the CR2032 coin cell
for ten minutes. If the retailer has updated the firmware, it may be
set up for different CPU/memory timings. Other than that you have
followed all the usual and clueful steps.

I forgot to say I had already shorted the jumper.

Hopefully, not without switching the mains power off to the ATX PSU
(isolator switch on the back of the PSU itself or else pulling the
plug or hitting the mains outlet switch).

Since the advent of ATX this has become a universal requirement with
all but the earliest MoBos[1] when using the cmos clear jumper. The
MoBo user guides all mention this but it's one of those items most of
us don't bother to read and we can easily overlook the need to power
down completely when hard resetting the cmos.

I do just enough cmos resets to stay 'in practice' and have the
'instruction' pop into my mind as a mantra whenever I go anywhere near
the cmos reset jumper.

[1] The later ATX only boards took advantage of the ever present 5VSB
power to relieve the RTC loading on the lithium coin cell to greatly
extend its service life. Of course, this didn't work for the few users
who were in the habit of hitting the 'Off Switch' post windows
shutdown (and pre windows startup).

The lack of a mains isolator switch on most ATX PSUs contributed to a
much inreased likelyhood that the 5VSB rail could be relied upon to
extend the life of the cmos 'battery'. The only slight downside being
that you had to remember to switch the mains power off whenever you
wanted to reset the cmos by jumper.
--
Regards, J B Good
Old March 15th 14, 03:03 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt
Mark[_20_]

Mark wrote:

I have tried the following:
- Reseat memory and try only one module at a time (in different slots)
- Remove CPU and refit, double check pins and CPU seated correctly.
- Remove and reconnect 24pin and 2*4 pin power connectors
- Remove and reconnect all other motherboard connections.
- Remove motherboard from case and try again.
- Monitor connected to the VGA port.

Reset the CMOS with the motherboard jumper/remove the CR2032 coin cell
for ten minutes. If the retailer has updated the firmware, it may be
set up for different CPU/memory timings. Other than that you have
followed all the usual and clueful steps.

I forgot to say I had already shorted the jumper.

Hopefully, not without switching the mains power off to the ATX PSU
(isolator switch on the back of the PSU itself or else pulling the
plug or hitting the mains outlet switch).

Don't worry. I did this right.

--snip--

Old March 15th 14, 03:08 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt
Adrian C

On 15/03/2014 14:50, Mark wrote:

Anything I haven't thought of?

Remove all memory, does it beep?

Yes. I get a continuous tone. Does this tell us anything?

CPU works, but it's (at a guess, as no POST tool) not driving the memory
at the right speed/timings./(voltage??) as it's being detected as
something else that doesn't match the memory spec.

You'll have to get the BIOS update in there somehow, and that could mean
finding a compatible CPU first - or fling the board back at the box
shifter that told you they did that?

--
Adrian C

Old March 15th 14, 03:18 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt
Johny B Good

Mark wrote:

Reset the CMOS with the motherboard jumper/remove the CR2032 coin
cell for ten minutes. If the retailer has updated the firmware, it
may be set up for different CPU/memory timings. Other than that you
have followed all the usual and clueful steps.

I forgot to say I had already shorted the jumper.

Right-O, you're as clued up as I would be without a POST board, then.
I'm not even sure one would be any good with the new "UEFI" firmwares
taking over. I'd say your gut instinct that the firmware can't handle
that CPU and the vendor was just blowing smoke is probably a good bet.

Assuming it's a bios/cpu compatability issue, Mark's in a bit of a
quandry. On the face of it he aught to be able to ship the board and
the cpu back to the vendor (assuming it was the same vendor for both
parts). The trouble is, this gives the vendor the opportunity to
'quietly' update the bios and claim 'no fault found' and charge him
return postage.

He might be better off begging or stealing a suitable older CPU to
test this himself. He only needs the cheapest of second user CPUs for
this purpose and might be able to source one for less than the cost of
the return postage to the vendor. The only problem with buying a
second hand CPU is the risk of buying a 'paperweight' (plus, it's
possible that either the MoBo or CPU was simply a DoA item rather than
an issue of compatability).

It all boils down to the trustworthiness of the vendor to 'do the
right thing' in a case like this. Normal practice on 'DoA' returns is
to refund the return postage as well as return the replacements at
their cost so there is some temptation to 'pull a fast one' to avoid
total erosion of the profit margin on the original transaction.
--
Regards, J B Good
Old March 15th 14, 03:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt
Mark[_20_]

Mark wrote:

[...]

It is the same vendor for the CPU and m/b. In fact everything bar the
DVD drive was purchased from them.

He might be better off begging or stealing a suitable older CPU to
test this himself. He only needs the cheapest of second user CPUs for
this purpose and might be able to source one for less than the cost of
the return postage to the vendor. The only problem with buying a
second hand CPU is the risk of buying a 'paperweight' (plus, it's
possible that either the MoBo or CPU was simply a DoA item rather than
an issue of compatability).

Quite. If I could think of where to borrow a CPU from I would do
this. Most people I know are Intel fans and all of my other PCs are
Intel too. Also, waiting for ebay auctions to end can take some time.

It all boils down to the trustworthiness of the vendor to 'do the
right thing' in a case like this. Normal practice on 'DoA' returns is
to refund the return postage as well as return the replacements at
their cost so there is some temptation to 'pull a fast one' to avoid
total erosion of the profit margin on the original transaction.

I am in contact with the vendor. I am not concerned about dishonesty
but I have two issues: they only want the motherboard back and their
returns procedure looks slow. I paid extra for next day delivery on
the original order so I am not happy having it returned second class
post. If the motherboard is not faulty then we would have wasted a
lot of time.

Part of me is just tempted to reject the lot and order it all from
somewhere else but that would add another delay.

Old March 15th 14, 03:48 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , Mark
escribió:

Yes. I get a continuous tone. Does this tell us anything?

Yes, it means the BIOS and processor are probably (not definitely) ok.
The CPU needs to be running for the tone to be generated.

Can you borrow some different memory to try?

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)