Dell is Sending Me a New Computer Comparible to What I Have Now

Old March 3rd 09, 02:24 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Monica

Default Dell is Sending Me a New Computer Comparible to What I Have Now

Some of what I'm reading about the PFN_List_Corrupt points to bad memory
sticks. Last summer, I replaced the two 512 sticks and maxed the system out
with 4 1GB sticks. Where would (or would it) the system indicate bad memory
if that was the problem? In Setup before entering Windows?

"Tom Scales" wrote in message

Old March 3rd 09, 03:47 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
BillW50

In ,
Monica typed on Tue, 3 Mar 2009 08:24:54 -0600:
Some of what I'm reading about the PFN_List_Corrupt points to bad
memory sticks. Last summer, I replaced the two 512 sticks and maxed
the system out with 4 1GB sticks. Where would (or would it) the
system indicate bad memory if that was the problem? In Setup before
entering Windows?

Well considering you saw smoke, that hints that there was too much
current in one or more components. The true blame of why is unknown
right now. But the memory could be one cause for sure.

I wouldn't try swapping the memory out with other memory. Because there
is a chance that anything you plug in can blow as well. You can inspect
the memory though and smell it. As that is what might has smoked. You
are going to have to take them out anyway to return your computer under
warrantee anyway, right?

--
Bill
2 Gateway MX6124 - Windows XP SP2

Old March 3rd 09, 07:47 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Brian K

"Monica" wrote in message
Brian, was the 9150 a current machine at the time? I've told no less than
6 reps/tech support people that I want XP. I can always reformat and use
my XP cd that I burned when I got the Dim 8400 (right?) but it would be
nice if XP came on it.

Yes, the 9150 was a current machine and I assume it was new. Same specs or
better than my 8400. (Same size HDs, RAM, video card etc). Dell gave me 10
days to return the 8400. Quite long enough to get all my data off the old
HDs.

If it comes with Vista you could add WinXP as a dual boot. That is if your
WinXP can be activated as the license is tied to your 8400. Sort this out
with Dell.

Old March 4th 09, 05:55 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

this is a power supply issue that has probably resulted in ruining every
component in your system. you may want to try to remove the hard disk and
put it in an external usb enclosure to try to recover data, but it may not
work. this should prove to be interesting reading...
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/51...8400-wont-boot

Old March 4th 09, 06:32 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_3_]

"Christopher Muto" wrote in message
news
this is a power supply issue that has probably resulted in ruining every
component in your system. you may want to try to remove the hard disk and
put it in an external usb enclosure to try to recover data, but it may not
work. this should prove to be interesting reading...
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/51...8400-wont-boot

That model can be completely moon-barking bat-schitt crazy when it's not
running properly.

They are replacing her system due to the smoke and possible resulting
liablility as a fire hazard.

Old March 4th 09, 07:09 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Monica

Default Update...

FedEx just delivered a XPS 420. Nothing in the box that states the
configuration. No packing slip, nothing. There are 4 sticks of memory.
Pulled one. It was a 1gb stick. I'm assuming the others are too. The
outside of the system is a mess with smudges that won't come off and
scratches. Came with Vista....someone didn't get the XP memo! Here are two
links to pictures I took of the mobo and what I think is the video card.
Maybe someone can identify them please? Sound cared must be integrated
Back when I made it my business to know all this stuff, "integrated"
wasn't good. My 8400 has an Audigy 2 card with 5.1 surround sound. I'll
call Dell later and try to muddle thru 50 different non-American speaking
agents and hope to get less than 50 different answers
Monica
http://www.pbase.com/monicakm/image/109839099
http://www.pbase.com/monicakm/image/109839327

Old March 4th 09, 07:50 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_3_]

"Monica" wrote in message
[...]

snip

There's only (1) motherboard spec for the XPS420 so far as I know.

I own that model.

What's your question?

F2 into BIOS at the Dell splash and you'll be able to discern CPU/speed,
RAM/amount/speeds, and hard disk size........

And, yes, I'm running Windows XP Pro on mine (RAID1).

Great system.

-Stew

Old March 4th 09, 08:49 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Rich[_9_]

My 8400 has an Audigy 2 card with 5.1 surround sound. I'll
call Dell later and try to muddle thru 50 different non-American speaking
agents and hope to get less than 50 different answers
Monica

I'd definitely pull the sound card from your 8400 & revert it back to
on-board sound before returning it to Dell. If it was cooked in the smoke
then I would make the argument to Dell that integrated sound is not an
equivalent to An Audigy card.

Rich

Old March 4th 09, 08:52 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Timothy Drouillard[_2_]

Monica, there should be a Dell service tag somewhere on the case. I don't
remember where, and mine is at home.

Find the service tag ID, then go to Dell's web site, to the support section,
plug in the service tag and you should be able to bring up a sheet that
shows the complete original configuration of that particular system.

You can also find the service tag if you enter the BIOS setup (hit F2 at
boot).

The 420's are very nice systems even when using the integrated audio.
Intergrated audio has come a long way in the last year or three.