Weird Dimension 9200 problem

Old January 12th 07, 06:06 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

Default Weird Dimension 9200 problem (need help from a Dimension 9200 owner)

It is set to Raid, although it only has one drive. The only two choices are
Raid and Raid/ATA. The problem is that if I switch, it bluescreens, as the
HAL is built for the current setting.

That said, when I reinstalled, I tried both.

"Fixer" wrote in message
Is it set up as RAID or JBOD?
"Tom Scales" wrote in message
That's not the problem. It's PVR software. If I record to a second
drive I install, I think it will be just fine, but that's not a solution.

It seems to be a bug in the motherboard, amazingly.

"Fixer" wrote in message
What I meant was there must be some way to tune the TV channels to
enable you to record, then save them once tuned in
"Tom Scales" wrote in message
Not sure what you mean by saved the tuned channels to favorites.

"Fixer" wrote in message
I would have though it was more likely something in the configuration.
to have 2 machines doing the same thing. Have you saved the tuned
channels to favourites within the options?
"Tom Scales" wrote in message
A little more information. I thought the problem could be in
something that is installed by Dell.

It's not.

Formatted and installed XP Pro. Nothing installed except the drivers
(including chipset) and HDTune.

Same problem. Graph dips to almost zero every few seconds.

Cloned the drive to a fresh 300Gb drive.

Same problem. So it is not the drive.

I am beginning to believe there is a design flaw in this machine. The
problem does not occur on drives other than the boot drive, either
IDE or SATA.

It does happen on BOTH 9200 machines that I purchased.

It is a showstopper.

The drive passed the basic diagnostics. I am running the diagnostics
from the diagnostic partition right now.

I've never seen anything like this.

I'll call Dell soon. I can't imagine how they're going to react,
particularly when I want to return both machines.

Tom
"Tom Scales" wrote in message
I went to watch a bunch of recorded HD shows this morning and almost
all of them are a mess.

Started doing the typical debugging and discovered a problem with my
new Dimension 9200s (both have the exact same problem).

If you run HDTune, it should show a consistent 65-75Mbs.

It doesn't.

The graph looks like a mountain range. Every few seconds, the
performance drops to near zero and then pops back up. The 750Gb
drives in both machines (actually one has a 1.5Tb Raid 0 array) work
flawlessly in HDTune.

I've neve seen anything like it. I would have assumed a bad drive,
but it happens on both machines.

I'm going to image one over to a 300Gb I have laying around and see
if it still happens. If so, I'd suspect something running in the
background, but what?

I'll call Dell, but can you see explaining this to the script
monkeys?

Tom

Old January 12th 07, 07:39 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis

Default Weird Dimension 9200 problem

"Tom Scales" wrote in message

wrote in message
ups.com...

Tom Scales wrote:
[...]

To separate out Windows entirely, try MHDD.

http://hddguru.com/content/en/software/2005.10.02-MHDD/

Won't boot to the floppy. Weird.

Thomas -

You're giving me the heebie jeebies here. You've flashed to the latest BIOS,
correct?

Stew

Old January 12th 07, 07:49 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis

"Tom Scales" wrote in message
Well, just chatted with Dell. Their position was to replace the
motherboard! (on a 3 day old system).

I can't see how that would help since the problem is on BOTH machines.
It's not the hard drive, as I cloned it to another drive and still have
the problem. It's not Sata port 0, as I tried Port 2. It's not the DVD
drive, as I tried it with it unplugged (and turned off in the BIOS).

Weird part is that if just use the second drive I install, it works fine.
I just hate to blow off 250GB.

Tom

Pssssssst.........

I'm digging on this. My gut feeling is that a new board or even a system
exchange might not do it.

I'll post back if I find out anything.

-Stew

Old January 12th 07, 07:49 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis

"Tom Scales" wrote in message
That's not the problem. It's PVR software. If I record to a second drive
I install, I think it will be just fine, but that's not a solution.

It seems to be a bug in the motherboard, amazingly.

I think you're absolutely correct. Especially given that (2) identical
systems are showing the same symptom.....

Old January 12th 07, 08:33 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

"S.Lewis" wrote in message

Thomas -

You're giving me the heebie jeebies here. You've flashed to the latest
BIOS, correct?

Stew

Came with the latest

Old January 12th 07, 08:34 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

"S.Lewis" wrote in message

"Tom Scales" wrote in message
Well, just chatted with Dell. Their position was to replace the
motherboard! (on a 3 day old system).

I can't see how that would help since the problem is on BOTH machines.
It's not the hard drive, as I cloned it to another drive and still have
the problem. It's not Sata port 0, as I tried Port 2. It's not the DVD
drive, as I tried it with it unplugged (and turned off in the BIOS).

Weird part is that if just use the second drive I install, it works fine.
I just hate to blow off 250GB.

Tom

Pssssssst.........

I'm digging on this. My gut feeling is that a new board or even a system
exchange might not do it.

I'll post back if I find out anything.

-Stew

I can't imagine how it would fix anything. If only ONE of the computers
showed the problem, I'd box it up and ship it back. But they BOTH do, which
implies something is wrong.

Old January 12th 07, 08:34 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

"S.Lewis" wrote in message

"Tom Scales" wrote in message
That's not the problem. It's PVR software. If I record to a second
drive I install, I think it will be just fine, but that's not a solution.

It seems to be a bug in the motherboard, amazingly.

I think you're absolutely correct. Especially given that (2) identical
systems are showing the same symptom.....

I noticed that the ROM and software for the storage manager is many releases
behind what is available from Intel. Unfortunately, the ROM can only come
from Dell.

Old January 12th 07, 08:52 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Rich

I'm a bit confused about your problem. I don't have a TV tuner or play HD
movies.

I got a refurb XPS 410 through Dell SB Outlet a month ago. Dell support
thinks it is a 9200 by its service tag number, probably since it came
through Dell SB. It's an E6400 with 250 GB drive, Win XP MCE, XP1300 Pro, 2
GB 667 mem, floppy, drive etc.

I managed to hose Win XP after I had it two days. I couldn't even do a
Cntl F11. Tech support (at 10PM EST my time) had me reload Windows from the
CDs. He first thought it might be a hard drive problem so we did diagnostics
and checked the BIOS.

When I got to the SATA operation he had me change it from "SATA On" to the
"Autodetect" setting even though the default setting is SATA on. According
to his script the RAID should be off unless you running RAID. Later I had
one more question and when I called Tech Support I spoke to a guy in Ottawa,
Canada. He said leave it off also.

Also, has the business with the ATI X1300Pro memory been resolved? From
everything that I have looked at the X1300Pro has 256MB of on-board memory.

Rich

Old January 12th 07, 09:17 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

Ignore the TV recording. The issue is just HD throughput.

Would you do me a huge favor and go to www.hdtune.com and download their
utility? Run it on your primary drive and see what the graph looks like?

Should be pretty close to a straight line, right around 65. If you have the
same issue I do, it will have huge dips, almost to zero, every few seconds.

For normal use, email, etc., you would NEVER notice this. It is only
because I need a nice clean data stream that it causes me problems. I need
up to 40GB per hour.

Works fine on the second drive.

Thanks,

Tom

Old January 12th 07, 10:03 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Rich

Tom:

When I first noticed your problem earlier today I down loaded hdtune and ran
it. I just ran it again.

I have a WD2500KS (16MB cache) that I bought and loaded from scratch.

The transfer rate starts at 62.1 MB/sec and drops to 34.2 at 100% (what ever
100% is). Average is 52.9

The Access time is 18.8 ms, the burst is 133.6 and CPU usage is 2.5%

There is only one dip, right after the beginning.

When I first just ran now it I had OE 6 up with your message and the dips
were happening all the time. When I closed OE 6, and restarted hdtune, only
the one dip at the beginning which I saw the first time I ran it earlier
today shows up.

Rich