IS this a good combination.

Old September 25th 05, 09:50 PM
Kenny

Default IS this a good combination.

1 x AMD (Venice) Athlon 64Bit 3200+ Socket 939pin 512k L2cache 90nm
Retail Boxed Processor 88109 £106.76 £106.76
1 x Kingston 1GB DDR PC3200 400MHz Non-ECC CL3 (3-3-3) 184pin DIMM's
(Kit of 2 x 512mb) 49296 £59.14 £59.14
1 x Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939 SKT939 NF3 250gb 8channel audio AGP8x Retail
91670 £46.41 £46.41

Will be doing some video editing with it.

--

Kenny Cargill

Old September 26th 05, 01:15 PM
Lucas Tam

"Kenny" wrote in
:

1 x AMD (Venice) Athlon 64Bit 3200+ Socket 939pin 512k L2cache
90nm
Retail Boxed Processor 88109 £106.76 £106.76
1 x Kingston 1GB DDR PC3200 400MHz Non-ECC CL3 (3-3-3) 184pin
DIMM's
(Kit of 2 x 512mb) 49296 £59.14 £59.14
1 x Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939 SKT939 NF3 250gb 8channel audio AGP8x
Retail
91670 £46.41 £46.41

Will be doing some video editing with it.

Yes that is fine, but if you're buying a new computer, you might want to
get a PCIe motherboard instead. Most new videocards are PCIe.

Also, you might want to go with RAID-0 which will defiately help with video
capturing/editing.

--
Lucas Tam )

Newmarket Volvo Sucks! http://newmarketvolvo.tripod.com
Old September 27th 05, 01:09 PM
Kenny

Thanks for the reply. Reason I didn't go for PCIe is because I already have
a Matrox G450eTV AGP tuner/capture which I still use for capturing from
analogue sources and TV. It works very well and I couldn't justify the
expense of buying a new PCIe video card.

--

Kenny Cargill

"Lucas Tam" wrote in message
"Kenny" wrote in
:

Old September 27th 05, 02:09 PM
JK

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 21:50:17 +0100, "Kenny" wrote:

1 x AMD (Venice) Athlon 64Bit 3200+ Socket 939pin 512k L2cache 90nm
Retail Boxed Processor 88109 £106.76 £106.76
1 x Kingston 1GB DDR PC3200 400MHz Non-ECC CL3 (3-3-3) 184pin DIMM's
(Kit of 2 x 512mb) 49296 £59.14 £59.14
1 x Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939 SKT939 NF3 250gb 8channel audio AGP8x Retail
91670 £46.41 £46.41

Will be doing some video editing with it.

I use a Nforce3 ultra chipset K8NS 939. More modern chipset.

I found this combo agp/pci.xpress board interesting:

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2524

You get sata2 and pci express.

Speed is fairly good.

best regards

John
Old September 27th 05, 02:22 PM
Lucas Tam

"Kenny" wrote in
:

Thanks for the reply. Reason I didn't go for PCIe is because I
already have a Matrox G450eTV AGP tuner/capture which I still use for
capturing from analogue sources and TV. It works very well and I
couldn't justify the expense of buying a new PCIe video card.

You could get a PCI TV capture card with a hardware MPEG2 encoder. Theses
cards cost about 100 - 120.00USD. Even a new PCIe video card + capture is
around 200.00USD.

If you're not going to get a PCIe card... you might want to consider a
Socket 754 motherboard instead - they're cheaper and support AGP. While 754
CPUs are older, they still have enough CPU power for video editing. You can
get some 754 Motherboard + CPU combos for ~100.00USD! : )

Old September 27th 05, 03:24 PM
Kenny

Too late, I've already bought the items in OP.
One question, can PCIe be added afterwards?

--

Kenny Cargill

"Lucas Tam" wrote in message
"Kenny" wrote in
:

Old September 27th 05, 05:48 PM
Lucas Tam

"Kenny" wrote in :

Too late, I've already bought the items in OP.
One question, can PCIe be added afterwards?

Unfotunatey no. PCIe is a new bus technology and is built into your
motherboard.