New build won't start up.

Old March 15th 14, 03:52 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt
Mark[_20_]

Default New build won't start up.

On Sat, 15 Mar 2014 15:48:24 +0000, Chronos
wrote:

On Sat, 15 Mar 2014 15:39:58 +0000
Mark wrote:

Quite. If I could think of where to borrow a CPU from I would do
this.

Where roughly are you? One of us may be close enough to lend a hand.
North Wales here.

Midlands/South West borders ;-)

Old March 15th 14, 03:53 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt
Mark[_20_]

On Sat, 15 Mar 2014 15:48:21 +0000, Mike Tomlinson
wrote:

En el artículo , Mark
escribió:

Yes. I get a continuous tone. Does this tell us anything?

Yes, it means the BIOS and processor are probably (not definitely) ok.
The CPU needs to be running for the tone to be generated.

Can you borrow some different memory to try?

I think I've got some DDR3 in another PC -- watch this space.

Old March 15th 14, 04:00 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt
Mark[_20_]

On Sat, 15 Mar 2014 15:53:42 +0000, Mark
wrote:

On Sat, 15 Mar 2014 15:48:21 +0000, Mike Tomlinson
wrote:

En el artículo , Mark
escribió:

Yes. I get a continuous tone. Does this tell us anything?

Yes, it means the BIOS and processor are probably (not definitely) ok.
The CPU needs to be running for the tone to be generated.

Can you borrow some different memory to try?

I think I've got some DDR3 in another PC -- watch this space.

Still no beeps and no POST. However this other memory is the same
brand (Kingston HyperX)

Old March 15th 14, 04:37 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt
Mark[_20_]

wrote:

On Sat, 15 Mar 2014 15:48:21 +0000, Mike Tomlinson
wrote:

En el artículo , Mark
escribió:

Yes. I get a continuous tone. Does this tell us anything?

Yes, it means the BIOS and processor are probably (not definitely) ok.
The CPU needs to be running for the tone to be generated.

Can you borrow some different memory to try?

I think I've got some DDR3 in another PC -- watch this space.

Still no beeps and no POST. However this other memory is the same
brand (Kingston HyperX)

And the new RAM works in the other computer too.

Old March 15th 14, 05:09 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt
Johny B Good

On Sat, 15 Mar 2014 15:48:21 +0000, Mike Tomlinson
wrote:

En el artículo , Mark
escribió:

Yes. I get a continuous tone. Does this tell us anything?

Yes, it means the BIOS and processor are probably (not definitely) ok.
The CPU needs to be running for the tone to be generated.

I've tried this trick of removing ram to see if I could provoke some
sort of BIOS error beep out of seemingly dead MoBos just simply to get
some hint of the state of its 'deadness'.

The usual beep code is typically made up as long 'mournful' beeeeeeps
which continue for as long as you leave it powered up in that state.
The worrying thing here is the continuous (presumably, uninterrupted)
beep tone which might not even be relying on any part of the POST
being executed (but probably does[1]).

Can you borrow some different memory to try?

That's always worth a shot, especially if you're working
'InTheDark'(tm).

[1] If it's just a matter of a bios update for CPU compatability,
you'd expect at least the initial part of the POST to run otherwise
how else is it going to work?
--
Regards, J B Good
Old March 15th 14, 05:22 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt
Mark[_20_]

On Sat, 15 Mar 2014 17:09:14 +0000, Johny B Good
wrote:

On Sat, 15 Mar 2014 15:48:21 +0000, Mike Tomlinson
wrote:

En el artículo , Mark
escribió:

Yes. I get a continuous tone. Does this tell us anything?

Yes, it means the BIOS and processor are probably (not definitely) ok.
The CPU needs to be running for the tone to be generated.

I've tried this trick of removing ram to see if I could provoke some
sort of BIOS error beep out of seemingly dead MoBos just simply to get
some hint of the state of its 'deadness'.

The usual beep code is typically made up as long 'mournful' beeeeeeps
which continue for as long as you leave it powered up in that state.
The worrying thing here is the continuous (presumably, uninterrupted)
beep tone which might not even be relying on any part of the POST
being executed (but probably does[1]).

Can you borrow some different memory to try?

That's always worth a shot, especially if you're working
'InTheDark'(tm).

See my other post about memory.

[1] If it's just a matter of a bios update for CPU compatability,
you'd expect at least the initial part of the POST to run otherwise
how else is it going to work?

According to some reviews I have read on this m/b it doesn't POST at
all when using a FM2+ CPU. You need to fit a FM2 CPU on order to
update the BIOS!

Old March 15th 14, 07:20 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt
Paul

Mark wrote:
Usual problem - new build, no beep, no display.

Parts:
AMD A10-7850K CPU
Gigabyte GA-G1.Sniper A88X Motherboard
Be Quiet! Pure Power L8 430W
Kingston HyperX 2*GB DDR3-2133 RAM

I have tried the following:
- Reseat memory and try only one module at a time (in different slots)
- Remove CPU and refit, double check pins and CPU seated correctly.
- Remove and reconnect 24pin and 2*4 pin power connectors
- Remove and reconnect all other motherboard connections.
- Remove motherboard from case and try again.
- Monitor connected to the VGA port.

The CPU fan spins and a light on the motherboard comes on so it's not
completely dead. I know that this motherboard normally ships with an
old BIOS that does not support this CPU but the retailer assures me
that they checked this. However the motherboard did not look like it
had ever been out of the box when it arrived here.

Anything I haven't thought of? I'm really not sure it's worth trying
a different PSU and it would involve removing one from a working PC
which I would be reluctant to do. I don't have any spare memory or
another suitable CPU.

Motherboard is rated 3 of 5.

And shipping with the old BIOS, is one of the problems with the board.

Check the customer review tab, for symptoms matching yours. There
are a variety of symptoms, including someone who had two of those
boards die in quick succession.

I would at least use my multimeter, to verify voltages while
the fans are spinning. A multimeter probe can be fitted into
the plastic PSU connector shell on the motherboard, and usually
there is enough exposed metal accessible, to get a voltage
reading. I also use my clamp-on DC ammeter, to check current
draw, but that's an optional test if you happen to have the meter
available to you.

Paul
Old March 15th 14, 08:38 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt
Mark[_20_]

On Sat, 15 Mar 2014 15:20:45 -0400, Paul wrote:

Mark wrote:
[...]

Most of the problems seem to be down to the outdated BIOS. There are
few cases of boards dying but this may be typical. Often people only
post bad reviews otherwise they don't bother. I don't know.
It is a concern though. I have had quite a few Gigabyte mobos before
and they've all been fine.

Is the USA version of this m/b the same? I have seen situations where
different products are sold with the same name in different countries.

I would at least use my multimeter, to verify voltages while
the fans are spinning. A multimeter probe can be fitted into
the plastic PSU connector shell on the motherboard, and usually
there is enough exposed metal accessible, to get a voltage
reading. I also use my clamp-on DC ammeter, to check current
draw, but that's an optional test if you happen to have the meter
available to you.

TBH I am sick of it today. Maybe I'll have another look tomorrow.
I have thought of doing something like you suggest but I have
convinced myself that it is the motherboard that it to blame. I'll
probably see if I can get hold of an Asus m/b instead next week.

However tomorrow is another day.

Old March 15th 14, 09:42 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt
lew

Mark wrote:
[...]

Had something similar happen to me.....after checking manual,
found I didn't connect the power cable for the cpu power on the
Intel chip. Most likely the the Cool Master heat sink was large
enough to just about cover the cpu connection.

Don't recall anything about a separate power connection for the
cpu on my previous systems.........
Old March 15th 14, 10:30 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt
SteveH

lew explained :

Mark wrote:
[...]

So did I. Then my partner said "did you plug the mains lead in...?"

--
SteveH